• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 3.X/D20 Material Do You Use With Pathfinder?

Ebony Dragon

First Post
Our current game started right about the time the Pathfinder core book came out, so we kind of hybridized Pathfinder and 3.5 stuff all together. Right now, all 3.5 books are still on the table and being used alongside the Pathfinder ones. Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium being a couple of the most popular ones, for obvious reasons if you have played using those books before :)

Our next campaign is going to go pure Pathfinder most likely.

BuzzardB

First Post
My current Pathfinder game is a pirate campaign and so far Stormwrack is an awesome book for such a thing.

I also use the 3.5 MM because it's awesome and I can't afford a Bestiary :D

Viashimo

First Post
I don't use anything 3.0/3.5 material with pathfinder. It has a fair amount of stuff now, and anything else can be hand-waved. The 3.5 stuff is full of good ideas and inspiration though.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
While I do allow some 3.X stuff in m campaigns the players seem more than content with the Pathfinder material. :)

Pretty much all the 3.X stuff has been either DM or campaign setting related. (I include things like rules for warfare and trade under 'campaign setting related')

The Auld Grump

Matthias

Explorer
My selection of non-PF material consists of supplements I keep handy for my use of the nifty or exotic items, monsters, traps, or house rules....my players are quite happy relying solely on the core rulebook.

A few examples:
Traps & Treachery I and II for the traps
Heroes of Horror for the horror rules
Heroes of Battle for the mass combat rules
Arms & Equipment Guide which has some realy nice goodis
Dungeonscape & Cityscape for world creation
Book of Exalted Deeds & Vile Darkness to cover Good vs Evil conflicts
Deities and Demigods for non-Golarian deities
Dungeon Master's Guide II for miscellaneous material for world creation.
Epic Level Handbook: Not that I need it right now, but if I should need a near-artifact magic item or uber NPC or monster then I will have that.

Last edited:

Dark Mistress

First Post
There is very few books we completely use. Corsairs is one of the few and a few of the environmental books.

We use to use a lot of 3.x books but as more and more Pathfinder stuff has been done and 3pp stuff we have used less and less. Most of what we use now is like shadow spells from the Tome of Magic, or a class or two we updated ourselves like the noble and temptress, so mostly it is just select parts of books. Least until Paizo makes a Pathfinder product to cover the same thing or one of the 3pp do.

Adventures is likely the biggest thing we still use from the 3.x books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads