• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 3E Core Races have you used and LIKED?

What 3E Core Races do you use and enjoy?

Pants

First Post
Uhhh, humans? :confused:

I've played humans, halflings, elves, and dwarves, though really, I've played humans the most out of any characters I've had. The halfling seemed fun for the two sessions I played him, the dwarf was fun, the elf was okay, and I've never played any of the others.

But humans get the most fun outta me.

Jhaelen

First Post
thundershot said:
With all the talk about 4E races getting cut, I'm curious what races you've used and liked from the core rules.
IMC there are no gnomes, all halflings are talfellow and elves are fey and reserved for npcs.
To make half-elves more interesting, their elven heritage is more visible (essentially they ARE elves,, while the elves are half-fey...).

My players prefer humans to any other race by a big margin. Besides I've had an occasional dwarf or half-orc. After allowing a wider range of races, two players have expressed an interest in playing an orc and a warforged, respectively.

bilwar

First Post
I have played all of the races at one time or another, but my favorite are probably Humans, and Half Elves, followed by Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes anf Half Orcs

Seeker95

First Post
Anything but the half-elf.

Half-orcs are good because there is no "orc-PC" race. Yes, you can play an orc, but it is not the same. There is no need for a half-elf. You can play an elf. You can play a human. A half-elf is neither, with a minimum of the advantages, none of the oomph, and all of the blah.

Clavis

First Post
Am I alone in loving Gnomes?

Not the 3.5 ed Gnomes, of course (what traditional Gnomes ever had to do with Bards I don't know), but the Gnomes from 1 ed to 3rd ed. I played them as the perfect medium between amoral, hedonistic elves, and self-righteous, bigoted dwarves. They were perfect as comic relief, and sometime the sole voice of reason when the humans, elves and dwarves were all involved in foolish wars. They have a strong presence in real-world folklore, and I never had any troubling presenting them as very different from any of the other races, especially halflings (Gnomes are wise and learned; halfling are anything but).

Keep the Gnome; the older D&D Gnome who uses illusions to befuddle the other races, lives close to the earth, and knows secrets even the arrogant elves have forgotten. But for heaven's sake WOTC, stop the obviously forced Gnomes as Bards nonsense.

Pants

First Post
Clavis said:
Keep the Gnome; the older D&D Gnome who uses illusions to befuddle the other races, lives close to the earth, and knows secrets even the arrogant elves have forgotten. But for heaven's sake WOTC, stop the obviously forced Gnomes as Bards nonsense.
Gnomes are better illusionists than they've ever been now.

Remove ads