• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 3rd level spell should a Vow of Peace/Poverty sorcerer take?

Tidus4444

First Post
I'm play a sorc with 19 charisma, vow of peace and poverty (in other words, he can't deal damage). He's specialized mostly in mind-affecting spells so far, to take advantage of the increased DC. At 1st level he's got color spray, Enlarge Person, Silent Image, and Obscuring Mist. 2nd level, he's got Hypnotic Pattern and Invisibility.

The problem is the DM seems to love throwing constructs and other mindless creatures at us, making my hypnotic pattern and color spray useless.

Next level, I'm planning on picking up subdual spell as my feat (the DM has thankfully ruled that sorcs don't have to take a full-round action for metamagic feats) and dropping silent image for magic missile. The real question is, what 3rd level spell should I take? Fireball is awfully tempting with subdual spell in the mix, but it still won't help me that much against constructs. I'm honestly more tempted to take haste, for the extra attack per round and bonuses to attack and AC they give my party members (we're playing 3.5, BTW, so no second spell per round, but it boosts the entire party). We've got a Ranger/Fighter specializing in bows, a cleric, a rogue, and myself.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ack, dumping silent image? That's a shame. Such a great utility spell (which you seem to be lacking).

Tidus4444

First Post
Mistwell said:
Ack, dumping silent image? That's a shame. Such a great utility spell (which you seem to be lacking).

I dunno, it's just never been very useful. Our adventures tend to be just of the kick in the door, kill the enemies sort of adventure, making silent image not very useful. But it's possible that I'm just not using it correctly. Any tips?

s-dub

First Post
Remember that VoP doesn't restrict you from beating the stuffing out of contructs (or undead for that matter)....so the ones that don't have magic immunities you can blast all you want.

Ilium

First Post
Subdual fireballs mean never having to say you're sorry. :)

It's a bit of a tossup here. If you take fireball, you'll probably be catching the cleric and rogue in the area a lot. Now since its non-lethal that's not too bad, but it's still not good.

I think I'd go with Haste. That extra attack for everybody else can add up to a lot of damage. Of course the rogue's not getting SA against constructs...

The spell that would really rock with nonlethal substitution is Scorching Ray. 4d6 touch attack is nothing to sneeze at.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I endorse haste.

Maybe you could research a custom spell that only deals lethal damage to Constructs, Evil Outsiders and Undead, and deals half that damage (and only non-lethal) to regular living mortals? Call it ... I dunno ... Leave This World, Unliving Abomination?

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads