• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 5th-level spells should any Wizard prepare?

What 5th-level spells should any Wizard prepare? (Pick multiple)

• Animal Growth

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Balefule Polymorph

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Blight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Break Enchantment

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Cloudkill

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Cone of Cold

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Contact Other Plane

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Dismissal

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Dominate Person

• Dream

• Fabricate

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • False Vision

• Feeblemind

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Hold Monster

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Interposing Hand

• Mage's Faithful Hound

• Mage's Private Sanctum

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Magic Jar

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Major Creation

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Mind Fog

• Mirage Arcana

• Nightmare

• Overland Flight

• Passwall

• Permanency

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Persistent Image

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Planar Binding, Lesser

• Prying Eyes

• Secret Chest

• Seeming

• Sending

• Shadow Evocation

• Summon Monster V

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Symbol of Pain

• Symbol of Sleep

• Telekinesis

• Telepathic Bond

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Teleport

Votes: 88 75.2%
  • Transmute Mud to Rock

• Transmute Rock to Mud

• Wall of Force

Votes: 68 58.1%
  • Wall of Stone

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Waves of Fatigue

Votes: 8 6.8%

dcollins

Explorer
Here's a poll in a series I'm trying to use to generate a "baseline" core Wizard's spell list. You can pick as many selections as you like.

Say you have a Wizard of about 12th level -- adventuring, PC or NPC, non-specialized, non-multiclassed, core rules only. He or she can likely prepare 3 or 4 spells of 5th-level. What spells should he or she prepare in those slots?

You can pick as many selections as you'd like -- I would suggest around 4.

Last edited:

fujaiwei

First Post
Teleport seems to be about the most important spell in the game, to me. It allows you to bypass some of mankinds greatest limitations - distance and time. Now if we only had a spell to travel back in time . . . or maybe I'm reading too much Weis & Hickman.

shilsen

Adventurer
For me:
Number 1 pick was Teleport, followed by Magic Jar and Wall of Force. Teleport is pretty obvious. Magic Jar is great for being in a dangerous situation in relative physical safety. And Wall of Force is great for controlling the battlefield.

After that, I'd take either Dominate Person, Hold Monster or Feeblemind, depending on what kind of enemies one was expecting to encounter.

Rashak Mani

First Post
WALL OF FORCE

This is a spell that can save an entire PC group. Except of course with pesky ethereals. You can cut off even mighty opponents... split the enemy and finish off one part first... escape by blocking the enemy. Use it against magical spells by readying it...

Teleport is too often used by the DM as a means of quickening PCs to somehwere else in the plot. In combat its not that useful... you have to gather everyone around to escape for example.

EvilGM

Explorer
Wall of Force - battlefield control. there are so many uses for an invisible, mostly indestructable wall.

Teleport - mobility is good

Mage's Private Sanctum - peace and quiet and no scrying me you fools

Feeblemind - how would you like to be a drooling idiot? (alternate material component: bib)

Runner up...
Break Enchantment - handy, but many other classes get this as well, let them prepare it.

Urbanmech

Explorer
Teleport, Wall of Force, and Feeblemind.

Teleport is useful for utility travel aspects and to get past obstacles but in a pinch it can be a useful combat spell. Touch the enemy and send him 1000 miles away.

Wall of Force can very effectively divide a battlefield and much of 3rd edition is about lessening the number of foes you have to fight at one time. Unless the foes can teleport or cast disintegrate they are stuck behind the wall to watch their comrades fall. It can also block an escape route that enemies may use to summon help. Lots of fun.

Feeblemind can reduce a mighty wizard to a useless bag of hitpoints. It can also remove the fighting prowess of intelligent foes. Though I wish the rulings on what a character is capable of at 1 int were more clear. What feats are useable? How does a fighter continue to operate if feebleminded?

sinmissing

First Post
I prefer my mages to be 50% utility/50% artillery
Mind Fog, Passwall, Cloud Kill, and Break Enchantment

Mind Fog is awesome (when it works) against creatures with good Wil saves. It cracks their mind open like a delectable lobster. . . .

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
sinmissing said:
Mind Fog is awesome (when it works) against creatures with good Wil saves. It cracks their mind open like a delectable lobster. . . .
To me, a will save spell that reduces will saves seems about as useful as a balloon in an earthquake.

ie - it has no relevance.

The action you spend casting it could easily have been spent
a) Casting a spell which didn't target will saves, and therefore had a higher chance of success
b) Casting a spell which targeted will saves but totally took the victims out of the combat

In fact, casting mind fog and THEN a will-save targeting spell has a zero percent impact on the success of just casting the will-targeting spell in the first place.

The only possible use I can think of for it is to place it over the entrance to an area that you expect a very large number of foes to pass through, before targeting them all with something like enthrall.

Dthamilaye

First Post
Firebrand (From Magic of Faerun). If your opponents are not airborne, there really is no better blast spell :).

Of course, Teleport and WoForce are pretty ok too.

Thanee

First Post
Voted Teleport only. All the others are in no way essential, tho one of those wall spells (force, stone) is obviously pretty good in some situations.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads