• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What adventure should I run? Your input needed!

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
Hello Friends,

I have recently started a game on these boards where I am DMing Paizo's new GameMastery module, Hollow's Last Hope. If all goes well, I hope to use it as a prequel to Crown of the Kobold King, the first full length module from that line.

However, it has become evident to me that I have time to run a second game as well. I have been thinking hard about what I would like to run, and there are many good options...too many, in fact! To that end, I entreat you, the Play by Post community at EN World, to help me decide what I should run. There are only a couple of stipulations...

1. The adventure must be a pre-written adventure module, or series of modules. I don't have the time (or creativity, I fear) to come up with an adventure from scratch.

2. This will be a D&D 3.5 game. I also have no problem converting older 3.0 material, so it also is fair game.

Now, some ideas I have...please feel free to discuss these, or offer your own suggestions.

**The Sunless Citadel, followed by others of the original line of WotC 3.0 modules.
**An Adventure Path from Paizo...Shackled City, Age of Worms, Savage Tide.
**Any of a whole host of other worthy Dungeon magazine adventures. Anything you've heard good things about and always wanted to try?
**Dungeon Crawl Classics...I'd be willing to try just about any of them.
**Necromancer Games products...so many good adventures! Rappan Athuk? One of the newer ones perhaps like Tower of Jhedopar or Six Spheres?
**Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
**Expedition to...Ravenloft, The Demonweb Pits, Undermountain?
**The Banewarrens
**Barrow of the Forgotten King, The Sinister Spire? Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave?

These are just a few things off the top of my head. Let's hear your ideas as well! :)

Al

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I recommend something short, given the pace of pbp. A Dungeon adventure, a Dungeon Crawl Classics $2 adventure or one of Goodman Games' The Adventure Begins adventures would be just about perfect.

If this game is one of the rare few that makes it to the end, you can always do a sequel for the group.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
These boards are littered with the corpses of untold numbers of optimists. :]

Seriously, my recommendation is to pick a good short adventure you really like. A big complex one may never get to the "good stuff" before people's interest starts to wane. A mix of RP and action will hook in most every player.

ethandrew

First Post
He speaks the truth. Games that are only stating actions with no room for character development are not up my alley. Whereas games that have no action and are solely social interaction is like going to a cafe. Running a shorter one will allow you to gauge the interaction between players and characters and also allow you to see how quickly/slowly the game moves along. If everyone can, and does, post once a day, you can run something a lot more quickly than twice a week.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Rhun said:
QFT.

I agree with Whizbang on this. Run something relatively short.
It's funny how the DM's who suggest running short adventures end up ignoring there own advice, and running large campaigns. :p

I agree with the others, start with a short adventure, if that goes well you can always add further adventures after that.

s@squ@tch

First Post
I am all for the recommendation of:

**Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
**Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, The Demonweb Pits, or Undermountain
**Scourge of the Slavelords
**Against the Giants

My personal preference, speaking as a selfish gamer who has always wanted to play, would be RttTOEE.

:cool: ;) :)

But I think I have space to play one more PbP, and would love the opportunity to run through one of these.

Jemal

Adventurer
Dude, I've been playing constantly for over a dozen years and I just realized I have yet to do the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.. (Or the Original temple itself, actualy)
Always wanted to...

Rhun

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
It's funny how the DM's who suggest running short adventures end up ignoring there own advice, and running large campaigns. :p

Hey now, that's why I can make good recommendations...experience!

Remove ads