• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What all can go towards touch AC?

Uruk

First Post
One of the players in my group has a touch attack he can use a ton of times so I'm needing to check for a lot of touch ACs. According to the SRD a player gets:

Dex + Size + Deflection

and doesn't get:

Armor, Shield or Natural

I would think the player would get a dodge bonus as well since it falls in with the bonuses that keep a player from being touched, while something like an arcane bonus wouldn't. I haven't been able to confirm/deny this, but since they specify what doesn't count and because dodge sort of ties in with a dex type bonus I'm pretty curious.

Antikinesis

First Post
Uruk said:
One of the players in my group has a touch attack he can use a ton of times so I'm needing to check for a lot of touch ACs. According to the SRD a player gets:

Dex + Size + Deflection

and doesn't get:

Armor, Shield or Natural

I would think the player would get a dodge bonus as well since it falls in with the bonuses that keep a player from being touched, while something like an arcane bonus wouldn't. I haven't been able to confirm/deny this, but since they specify what doesn't count and because dodge sort of ties in with a dex type bonus I'm pretty curious.

hong said:
A touch attack ignores armour and natural armour bonuses to AC. You count everything else.

Just to clarify... a shield provides an armor bonus, and does not count against touch attacks.

-AK

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
And to be even more clear, ignoring the armor bonus to AC also means that ignore the enchanment bonus on the armor that is being ignored. In other words, your +5 plate is just as useless against a touch attack as mundane plate.

kreynolds

First Post
Xahn'Tyr said:
And to be even more clear, ignoring the armor bonus to AC also means that ignore the enchanment bonus on the armor that is being ignored. In other words, your +5 plate is just as useless against a touch attack as mundane plate.

Well, since the enhancement bonus on armor is an "armor" bonus, that much is pretty obvious. ;) But I understand why you pointed it out. I was confused about that not too long ago.

Last edited:

nwn_deadman

First Post
You would get the following bonus:

DEX
WIS (Monk)
CHA (Mystic)
INT (Duelist)

Dodge
Mobility (AOO)
Haste
Luck (EDIT, forgot to add this)
Cover
Deflection

Fighting Defensively
or
Total Defense

Last edited:

gfunk

First Post
Don't forget that cover bonuses, like those from a Shield spell, apply against touch attacks as well. Also, a Haste spell would do the trick.

hong

WotC's bitch
gfunk said:
Don't forget that cover bonuses, like those from a Shield spell, apply against touch attacks as well. Also, a Haste spell would do the trick.

For once (THAC0 notwithstanding), it's easier to remember what to subtract than what to add. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads