• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What alternate game systems are you trying out if you don't like 4e?

Emirikol

Adventurer
Man, I'm glad you guys have time to play all that stuff. (and if you had enough time to play out some 4 hour combats with four 4E kobolds ;)

Looking at the new universal systems out there, I'm impressed.

It looks like Savage Worlds has got a quick combat system so that you dont' spend your whole game getting told by the rules what you did (you pushed button..here's what happened). The same for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

I've not tried out the Chaosium universal systm BURP or whatever its called, but I'm looking forwards to it.

jh

FriarRosing

First Post
I'm a little bit lost at sea in terms of what to play. I'm still on the fence about 4th edition, and I like a good Rules Cyclopedia/BECMI game every now and again, but I'm not sure that anything is really scratching ye olde itch. I'd like to try true20, but I'm not sure if it'd work either. I guess I'm going to my Rules Cyclopedia game for now.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Is there some reason I need to have moved on at all? The release of a new game somewhere doesn't mean that I need to scramble to find something new to play if I'm already perfectly happy with the games we are playing.

No, it's not.

However, at least in the gaming groups I was a member of, we tended to want to try out something new after an extended campaign. Sometimes we preferred the high heroics of D&D, while at other times we wanted the gritty experience of WFRP or GURPS. Or the exploration of themes of power and responsibility in Exalted, or whatever else we were interested in.

And this does not seem to be an isolated phenomenon.

We rotate through games too, but we rotate back to ones that we like, or to older games that we've always wanted to play but haven't.

For instance, we're in a Cthulhu campaign now, because about half of us were big Cthulhu fans and were able to foist it off on the other half of the group who had never tried it and were skeptical of the experience. After that, we've tossed around going back to 3.5 for an expurgated Shackled City, or maybe even a Shadowrun game.

In other words, the release of a new game somewhere doesn't mean that we need to go out and buy/try new stuff. I've got the better part of a dozen games in my collection as it is that I've bought and decided were worth keeping. Few of those get much play, so I've got plenty of options already without trying something "new."

:shrug:

Emirikol

Adventurer
I've got this wierd feeling that prevents me from going "back" to 3E or a d20 game. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems that my 4E experience over the past year or so really has soured me in some way.

My cynical humor: Maybe I need to be a player (so I too can sit there for 45 minutes waiting for the 4 players in front of me to resolve their incredibly overcomplicated 4e turns (except for the one guy..the idiot savant who has time to memorize all the stupid rules ;)

jh

Well, we don't really have any 4e experience to speak of. Like I said, we just kept playing the games we were already playing, and 4e getting released was a brief moment of almost academic curiosity only.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads