• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What alternate game systems are you trying out if you don't like 4e?

lejanius

Explorer
We are switching to Hackmaster Basic the moment it comes out. My group played a lot of Hackmaster 4th edition and D20. When 4E came out we tried it for five-six months and decided it wasn't what we wanted. I should note we would have switched to Hackmaster Basic anyway as we are big fans of the game but 4E not being our cup of tea pretty much cemented it for us.

Also in the meantime we are playing lots of castles and crusades to get our fantasy fix

Ycore Rixle

First Post
I wanted to thank you for posting this. It looks to have some genuinely new and interesting mechanics, as well as an interesting setting. Hopefully you'll have some books at IPR at Gen Con: if so, you've got a sale.

--Steve

Woot! Thanks Steve. We'll see about IPR. I hope it will happen but there's nothing definite yet, so I'm not going to say for sure. Regardless, the PDF and POD versions will be available then. Also, keep checking the website. There's talk of organizing an SK night at the Ram or something along those lines.

Silversun

Banned
Banned
I've had my copy of the MegaTraveller box set for quite some time. I'm hoping that I'll eventually be able to put it to use.

I wonder how compatible it is with Mongoose Traveller.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Woot! Thanks Steve. We'll see about IPR. I hope it will happen but there's nothing definite yet, so I'm not going to say for sure. Regardless, the PDF and POD versions will be available then. Also, keep checking the website. There's talk of organizing an SK night at the Ram or something along those lines.
No problem. From what I've seen the IPR guys are good people, and they sell some very good games. The one thing I wasn't able to do was get into any of the demos at Gen Con. If you add some, make sure to mention it on your website and I'll be sure to stop on by.

I showed the combat primer off to some friends at work who haven't been too happy with 4E, and they initially thought it would be too "gimicky" but when we did a combat they admitted there was more depth to the game than they had expected. So the game definitely seems to have struck a note with some folks who haven't been warming to 4E all that much. For me, I'm enjoying 4E a lot, but I also like a huge variety of games and so I'm very interested in what you're doing. So you can get both audiences.

--Steve

Nameless1

First Post
Spirit of the Century

I can hardly beleive that it took 4 pages for someone to list this game. I think that the FATE system will be my go to for gaming as long as I can get people to play it with me. I actually like 4e alot, and just let it be the game what it is. It is a very fun tactical skirmish game that you can also roleplay with quite well. It is easy to run, and if you are willing to put in the work, it is quite modular and customizable.

That being said, I am not at all attatched to "immersive" play. I like to tell the story and play the game, I don't have to "be" the characters. Since I don't need heavily immersive games, the metagame stuff is not disruptive to my games. 4e has tons of metagamey "gamist" mechanics. Fate has just as many metagamey "narrativist" mechanics. I get my crunch on with 4e and my flexibility and story on with FATE. If you don't need immersive play, FATE could be your game.

Check out FATE/Spirit of the Century. The most fun I have had gaming in a long time.

I showed the combat primer off to some friends at work who haven't been too happy with 4E, and they initially thought it would be too "gimicky" but when we did a combat they admitted there was more depth to the game than they had expected. So the game definitely seems to have struck a note with some folks who haven't been warming to 4E all that much. For me, I'm enjoying 4E a lot, but I also like a huge variety of games and so I'm very interested in what you're doing. So you can get both audiences.

--Steve
New previews are up. I'm getting more and more interested in this game.

www.spellboundkingdoms.com

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads