• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What alternatives to "human" are there?

Summer-Knight925

First Post
In my setting, "Human" is the scientific term, like when they discover a body they say a human body, or an elven body, or a dwarven body.

To make this better and less bland, all humans have a subrace, as with all elves and dwarves and so on. The human subraces include "Easterlings, Coastlings, Reachers, Imperials, and then the many different types of the colonies. The subraces are defined by the lore, what makes each subrace unique and different doesn't stem from biology, but from culture and views.

For instance, the elves of my setting were at one time all one race, but due to a civil war and their homeland being magically defoliated, there are now 3 subgroups. Wood Elves, High Elves, and Dark Elves (drow). Now the drow has stats that are different from other elves, sure, I'll give you that, but wood elves and high elves are exactly the same, only different in culture.

Same goes for the dwarves, Mountain Dwarves have a different way of life than Hill dwarves, deep dwarves are different than dark dwarves (duegar) and so on.

Humans has subraces pulled not to create a "real racial identity" in the game world, as Easterlings are akin to Asians, Coastlings like those from the Mediterranean (mostly Greeks), Reachers like the Vikings, and Imperials like Medieval Europeans. These races don't war and are in an Empire together (well loose empire, but still) and trade ideals and goods and so forth, really the racial distinctions are not different races, but entirely cultural, like how it actually sort of is despite many debate it still, but that's irrelevant.

Pretty much the 'humans' are in many different groups, as we are, and that seeing 'human' as a single race is fairly unimaginative. Let 'human' be the tree, but the subraces are the branches.

valhallions

First Post
You could talk about our tribal nature, I'm sure I've seen humanity referred to as the Clans before in a fantasy novel. Also from Mass Effect "Earth Clan" could be changed to "insert region" clan. I think your best bet though would be to simply invent a word that would best fit your setting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think your best bet though would be to simply invent a word that would best fit your setting.

The issue is that it's not for a setting. It's for a core rulebook which has no default setting.

I'm likely to end up with "human" after all, it seems. It's the best option, even though I find it bland.

valhallions

First Post
ah sorry, There's also Hume or Humes which is how they were reffered to in FF12 among others which I always thought was nice sounding

Unwise

Adventurer
... "Men" (a la Tolkien) is rather exclusionary...

Slightly off topic, but strangely enough my wife actually told me that she dislikes the inclusory nature of our fantasy campaigns as it just doesn't feel real. She dislikes having female warriors being common or a setting where females are so liberated. She said it ruined the specialness of playing a heroine and felt very unrealistic and a bit patronizing, almost revisionist. I'm not stupid enough to have an opinion on that, it was an interesting perspective though.

I imagine you are asking the original question with regards to N.O.W. If so I think you don't really have much choice if you don't want to make a bunch of presumed lore for the system. Names like Imperials, Terrans, Children of Xenu etc are all fine, but they all fall back on some history within your campaign. If you want it to write generic rules, then I don't think you really have that luxury. I think humans is just fine. I mean you could go Homo Sapiens, but easily amused people will spend the first 10 minutes of each session tittering.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
It seems to me, if one isn't going to use English, one can call them anything you want. Perhaps Easterlings? (one particularly good series calls them that...or was it Easterners?)

Or Southrons, if they come from the South?

Or, if people who look like homo sapiens come from the Empire of Ardan, they could be called Ardassians.

Call them anything you want; it's your campaign.

Personally, I find that "Man" and "Mankind" to be perfectly serviceable, provide that classical, old world feel.

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Morrus, your game is future/sci fi, right? So use a simple, common term for humans from the future:

[sblock]
18658583.jpg
[/sblock]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Call them anything you want; it's your campaign.

Personally, I find that "Man" and "Mankind" to be perfectly serviceable, provide that classical, old world feel.

It's a core RPG, nor a campaign. If it was just my campaign, I'd put some easy random syllables together for a nation in under 0.000003 seconds. :)

Remove ads