What and how to share about conversions work

Li Shenron

Legend
I've been working on a conversion of the Rokugan (Legend of the Five Rings - L5R) setting for D&D 5th edition rules.

I've posting my thoughts and drafts in the House Rules forum: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ersion-for-D-amp-DNext-(preliminary-thoughts)

There is stuff I haven't posted there yet, because I still don't know what could be (dis)allowed. The L5R setting belongs to AEG, not WotC, therefore the official agreement for converting old TSR/WotC material doesn't help me.

Is there anybody familiar with this sort of issues, that can help me make sure I post only what is allowed?

Something that came up already:

- classes are Samurai, Shugenja, Courtier and Monk: these are real-life concepts, I don't think there's any chance they are copyrighted
- smaller material (skills, feats, spells, prestige classes), can there be some of it which is proprietary?
- some monsters can surely be copyrighted (e.g. Beholders, Illithids and some more are WotC intellectual property), most Rokugan monsters are from folklore, how do I find out which ones are not?
- stuff like the Clans and their Families may also be protected; should I hide their true names? For example, if I am writing usable material for family X of clan Y, can I mention their names or should I omit them?

The about sharing the material on ENWorld, assuming at some point in the future I will have a usable standalone (by no means complete...) conversion, a "Basic Rokugan" document or series of documents, which of the following options are possible and which is preferable?

a) a wiki, with a few dozens small pages (e.g. one class = one page)
b) a single document in the download section
c) multiple documents in the dowload section (e.g. classes = one doc)
d) articles in a group page

Thanks!

Remove ads