D&D 5E What are good ways to create cover?

CapnZapp

Legend
What are good ways to create cover?

Spellcasters in particular can benefit from cover. What creative ways can characters use cantrips, spells, and abilities to quickly and effectively create cover when combat begins, or is expected to begin?
Since you can move both before and after your attack (including spellcasting) the best cover is total cover.

So I'd say a good way to create cover is to stand well behind a wall for total cover (against everything except readied attacks and some area effects)

Half cover and two thirds pale in comparison.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Oofta

Legend
Have someone play a bard, and let them keep bringing in bards until you have cover.

SZ1brXE.jpg

akr71

Hero
Shout "Cover me!" to the rest of the party and charge straight at the enemy. It seems to work well in action movies...

Jensen

First Post
Creative use of spells for cover is fun...I'll broaden to environmental stuff:

-mundane environmental stuff that many overlook: underbrush, stumps, boulders, trees, fences/walls

-overturn some furniture

-attack from a rooftop or balcony where opponents on the ground can't get line of sight

-things hanging: laundry in an alleyway, flags/banners in a hall, meat (slaughterhouse, curing), roots (if you're underground) or plants in a root cellar, stalagmites, cloth/clothing/leather/silk in a warehouse or drying in a factory, geisers or waterfalls

Remove ads