What are some Good Old Fashioned hangover cures?

kirinke

First Post
Well. I'm in a game where my character is suffering from a hangover, along with two others (long, long story). She's a priestess and has ranks in healing (15 ranks). This is a faerun setting, so what would be some good herbal/non-magical ways of dealing with it?

Sigdel

First Post
IME, honey. For some reason honey helps with the nausea. It settles the stomach enough for you to get some sleep. My roomate told me it's because honey is predigested, but when youve been pukeing for the last 10 hours you'll even try drano if it will mean some sleep.

Slife

First Post
Here you go

http://www.salon.com/health/feature/1999/12/29/hangover/index1.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A103140

Probably the most traditional one is this:

Hair of the Dog

A tot of alcohol in the morning. For some particularly nasty hangovers, this can be useful, although the bad news is that the effect is only temporary. The liver attacks poisons in a certain order, with ethanol first. Once all the ethanol has been broken down, it starts on the methanol, which releases formic acid into your system and makes you feel bad. Hitting the liver with another dose of ethanol causes it to stop processing methanol and start on the new threat, but the methanol will have to be processed sometime so you are only postponing the hangover until later.

kirinke

First Post
Thanks. Probably my character will know all the common ways to allievate a hangover, considering all the ranks in healing she has. But I also like to roleplay it out too. :)

Woas

First Post
Percivellian said:

That's the one I've heard and use. After a night of drinking, to avoid a hangover I always drink two or three glasses of water before I go to bed... if I can. Something about alcohol dehydrating you which leads to the headaches, bed-spins, nausea.

I dunno, so far it's worked for me every time.

Remove ads