What are the biggest RPG crimes?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
For me, it's not about any particular style of play from sandbox to plotted, from railroad to player agency driven...

It's consistently providing a negative experience for participants - in whatever form that's done. Everyone has a negative experience from time to time - it's all part of the ebb and flow of life and mood. But if, as a GM or as a player, you're consistently causing your fellow participants to have a bad time at the table, then you need to rethink your priorities. Maybe it's because you're hogging the spotlight, maybe because you're a dick to someone else, maybe because you're not listening to the other players at the table and helping contribute to the game you ALL want to play. Whatever the reason, if you can't reasonably make accommodations to the group and what the group wants as a player or as a GM, you're not fit to play at that table in that role.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I always give players a heads up if I'm running a module. Some things just don't interest people and it's nice to know that up-front.
BEfore going further, are you running these modules as one-offs or hard APs, or as something integrated into a bigger campaign? It makes a difference: saying "Hey guys, I'd like to run Princes of the Apocalpyse as an AP, is that cool?" is not the same as saying "Hey guys, the next module in this campaign is going to be B10 Night's Dark Terror, is that cool?". I'd say the former, as a full AP requires a commitment both in time and in mostly staying within the path; but never the latter - within an ongoing campaign I prefer a more seamless transition from out-of-module to in-module, and figure I'm doing it right when the players don't even realize they're actually in the canned part of the adventure until partway through.

I even give players a quick rundown on any homebrew setting I'm running, because other things aside, they at least need to know the kind of world they live in to create characters and backstories to fit it.
Absolutely. That said, I only change settings when I change campaigns i.e. not very often. :)

Oh please, it's not about role-play. It's about hogging on the attention and forcing the game to do what Billy wants to do instead of what everyone else wants to do.
Not if the DM takes Billy at his word - that his PC is leaving the party - and just keeps on DMing the party.

That said, if Billy is leaving for a plot-related reason then the DM might want to run an off-cycle session* with Billy to see what he gets up to and whether he's successful at whatever he's doing. But if Billy is leaving just 'because' then it's new-character time.

* - I did one of these a few nights back, to update a PC who had left the party for plot-related reasons (taking a corpse back to town for revival).

Then I guess we'd have an open seat since I do set rules on what types of characters are allowed at my table. If you are playing your character in a way that is antithetical to party fun, you are not welcome.
It's open season here as far as personality and-or alignment goes: play what you want. It'll sort itself out in-character as time goes on, and if it comes down to some PvP along the way then so be it. Then again, I only play with people I know well from outside the game and who are capable of separating in-game conflict from out-of-game friendship; were I DMing a bunch of people that I didn't know and-or who didn't know each other it'd be different until we all got much better acquainted out-of-game.

This goes back to first-page comments about "entitlement" and "I'm just doing what my character would do!"
AFAIC "what the character would do" is paramount if you're role-playing it at all well; entitlement has nothing to do with it. The character can be a complete jerk even if the player otherwise isn't, but the player has to remain true to that even if it means role-playing the PC right out of the party - or into its grave, should it annoy the other PCs sufficiently. :)

By the same token, a player who has established a more co-operative persona for a PC has to remain true to that even if the player wants to do something nasty. (side note: I think this is part of why Gygax put such harsh penalties in 1e for those who changed alignments, to damp down PCs acting according to the mood of their player at the moment)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I have a beef against some so called 'sandbox' DMs.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes it seems you have a beef with a lot of things. :)

There are some DMs out there that think they run a sandbox, but they don't. The secret to running a sandbox is that you have to be willing to prep vastly more material than you need or intend to use. Indeed, that is my definition of a sandbox. If you aren't prepping material you don't intend to use, you aren't running a sandbox. In a true sandbox, wherever you go, there is the fun, and eventually players get enough experience in the setting that they can orientate themselves within it and start being proactive and deciding what goals that they have, what factions that they intend to ally with, who they think the villains are, and so forth. One conceivable way to run a sandbox for example might be to have a stack of low level modules, and you've drawn up a setting that scatters these low level modules liberally all over a fairly small homebrew map. You might need to write 16 different adventures each with plot points that might lead to further adventures. The point is that sandboxes are informationally dense. They are not for the faint-hearted DM, but something to undertake once you are experienced and if you are the sort of person that world-builds continually in your leisure time because it's one of the most enjoyable things you do.
To some extent I disagree.

What needs to be fully prepped, at least to a solid framework level, is the setting: the cultures, the maps, the history, the pantheons, some key people both past and present, and so on. Having a stack of adventures handy, be they canned modules or homebrew ideas, is also useful; but other than vague ideas I don't think these all need to be pre-placed.

My current campaign started this way. I had nearly all the framework in place before puck drop, and had a couple of players who already knew how they were going to cause a party to form around their PCs - a Bard and a Cavalier rolling up-country from village to village, with at each stop the Bard singing about the heroic deeds they had (not in fact) done and the heroic deeds they were going to do "up in the mountains" while the Cavalier tried his best to look impressive and heroic, and asking for brave and sturdy adventurers to join them - and at about one PC per village the party formed. Up in the mountains awaited B2 Keep on the Borderlands, one of a very few adventures I had hard-placed but only after hearing what these players had in mind.

Once 'Keep' was done they went back down-country and split the party in two (i.e. I started running two different groups of PCs with some overlapping players). One group proactively looked for something to do (and found it, getting into a variant on A-series) while I had to put something in the path of the other group. Since then it's been a mix of "let's go this way and see what's there" and "here's an adventure hook or ten"; and ten-plus years later it's still going.

But in my experience a good half of the people who run a sandbox do so because they think its a way to cut down on their prep time.
During play, it is; because you've done all the heavy lifting before the puck ever hit the ice.

Instead of seeing it as a style where they will need to produce vastly more content than they'll need, they see it as a style where they don't really have to prep anything because they can improvise it on the fly.
Exactly. Ideally, if the setting prep is solid enough the macro-scale game largely runs itself once it starts, leaving me to worry about the run-of-play minutae such as statting up monsters and keeping notes and logs.

And invariably, they are suffering from Dunning-Kruger effect and are vastly less capable at improvising than they think they are, because the secret to good improvisation is that you've prepped so much material that its easy to adapt things you've already done to the moment. For example, further up the thread someone suggested that the material in an adventure path became useless if people got off the path. And that may be true if your dealing with a less experienced DM, but it's perfectly easy to take adventure path material and plug it into a sandbox. In the case of the best as I can tell so far, completely on rails "Skull & Shackles" campaign, it wouldn't at all be hard to pick up a couple of relevant Golarion sourcebooks, and if the party got off the rails and went sandbox on you, you could accommodate that. The material that you didn't use from the Adventure Path, could still come back at a later point, just with a different timing and setup. Instead of A->B->C, you might do A->B->H->X->C->K->D. The veteran DM would be able to flex.
No idea what Dunning-Kruger effect is (don't bother explaining it :) ) but in general I agree with the rest of this.

In the hands of an experienced DM, modules become setting guides.
Maybe, but I'd go further and say that an experienced DM will already have the setting in place and be easily able to slot the module (or AP) into that setting such that it makes sense for it to be there. (for these purposes let's ignore modules or adventures such as Q1 Demonweb Pits that intentionally take the PCs off-world or somewhere equally remote)

All DMing involves a certain amount of illusionism, and the trick is to be able to pull off the illusion so that to the players the world is real and has always been there and is living and changing and responds to what their characters do. The key to success as a DM is to give the players the experience of exploring something, and discovering secrets you have been hiding on your side of the screen.
Exactly.

In my experience, no improvisational DM is able to sustain the illusion. So many tricks that improvisational players tell you to use, destroy that sense you are exploring a real world. Things like taking your queues from the players own expectations, quickly cause the players to realize that nothing is real. The joy of exploration is not finding what you wanted to find, but discovering what you didn't know was there.
I agree, to a point.

Sometimes it works out well, however, if you take a player's cue (not queue, that's a lineup :) ) or idea and stow it away for long enough that the player doesn't remember she gave it to you, and then use it. Example: a player in my game had an idea for a variant monster - a gelatinous cube that hung from and moved along the ceiling, to avoid the clean-floor hint that a cube might be about. I took this little piece of brilliance and stowed it away. Half a real-world year later a party is in a dungeon and notices there's a "tide-line" about six inches off the floor, above which the walls are clean and below which is lots of dust and dirt. They figure (on only that evidence) it has something to do with periodic flooding and carry on - and guess whose PC walked face-first into the cube? Yep, the same guy who had suggested it in the first place! (even better was that I had to tell him after that it was his idea, as he'd completely forgotten ever suggesting it)

Guys that run games on random encounters or other random generators, never produce anything as interesting as the GMs that use those same random generators before they start play to inspire and produce content that then flows off their tongue when called for. If your random encounter table isn't imbedded in an already heavily detailed world, then it is never going to produce anything particularly rich.
I wouldn't say never, but I would say the result would tend to be - surprise surprise - more random. :)

I for the life of me don't understand why anyone would think that a group of players thrust in to a setting which even the DM does not clearly see would have enough information about the setting to make good choices about what they want to do. If you are running a campaign, just as if you are writing a novel, the first page is the most important page of the book. I don't care how clever your setting is, if that cleverness requires overturning a random rock on hex grid A10318 because it isn't believable that the PCs would find something that's been hidden for 1000 years, you have a completely wrong-headed idea of what running a game is like, and it's not your players fault that they didn't go looking. Paint the damn scene. Put up signposts everywhere. Have the adventure come to them. Then, once they've become locals and know the lay of the land, they can make choices about where to explore.
The fault there lies in having whatever's under that random rock in hex A10318 be so important to the plot that it has to be found. A true sandbox might well have something like this, but the continuation of the game/story/plot wouldn't rest on it being found.

Do you have an obligation to have the adventure come to the players, even in (especially in!) a sandbox? Yes. A thousand times yes. And anyone that tells you otherwise isn't worth listening to. Shove the adventure in their faces, and keep shoving adventures in their face until they take a hook.
This is one thing.
Do not expect the players to find your content without a map. Do not expect the players to understand your setting without a detailed guide. Do not expect the players to care about the setting until after they are immersed in it. And above all, do not expect your players to create your content for you.
This is another.

If all the second part there is done right the first part shouldn't be as necessary, as there'll be enough of a setting - including legends and lore - in place to pique some interest. The difference is that interest will probably go in an unforeseen direction, thus keeping the DM on her toes.

Celebrim

Legend
Please don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes it seems you have a beef with a lot of things. :)

:)

I confess I am very opinionated.

Sometimes it works out well, however, if you take a player's cue (not queue, that's a lineup :)

Yes, I know, but I'm a software developer, and I use 'queue' so often that I generally don't realize I've used the wrong spelling unless I reread what I wrote. Other common mistakes on my part: leaving off a negative such a 'not', exchanging or/our/are for one of the other, misuse of the apostrophe, or exchanging their/there/they're. I know what it proper. But when I'm typing at full speed what comes out of my fingertips isn't always proper English.

Honestly, I don't think we disagree on preparation all that much. When you say, "This is one thing" and "This is another", I don't see them as that different. An adventure can come to the players by way of dialogue, sign post, player aids, rumor, or event. As long as you are as the DM making an effort to keep your players informed of the setting and not expecting them to find their own fun without some clues how to go about it, and you've done due diligence about creating the setting, you're in a good place.

I

Immortal Sun

BEfore going further, are you running these modules as one-offs or hard APs, or as something integrated into a bigger campaign? It makes a difference: saying "Hey guys, I'd like to run Princes of the Apocalpyse as an AP, is that cool?" is not the same as saying "Hey guys, the next module in this campaign is going to be B10 Night's Dark Terror, is that cool?". I'd say the former, as a full AP requires a commitment both in time and in mostly staying within the path; but never the latter - within an ongoing campaign I prefer a more seamless transition from out-of-module to in-module, and figure I'm doing it right when the players don't even realize they're actually in the canned part of the adventure until partway through.
It depends since I'm not huge on APs to begin with. Usually if I'm running APs it's part of a "You were hired by a wizard who will magically portal you to *insert AP here*." So the players get a heads up insomuch as "Here are some AP's I'm ready to run, the Wizard is giving you a choice, which one do you want to do?" And then ya know, we commit to doing that AP.

Absolutely. That said, I only change settings when I change campaigns i.e. not very often. :)
I often run settings-within-settings, in the form of plane shifts, pocket dimensions and other such things. My games tend to run towards high-magic post-apocalyptic, so running into a tear in time and space that sends you somewhere the rules may work differently.

But if Billy is leaving just 'because' then it's new-character time.
The previous talk of people "going left" was of these sort of people. Not people who may have legit reasons for no longer wanting to be a member of the party. I've had plenty of paladins and other goodly-types walk off stage because the party is a bunch of a-holes. But that wasn't the context in question.

It's open season here as far as personality and-or alignment goes: play what you want. It'll sort itself out in-character as time goes on, and if it comes down to some PvP along the way then so be it. Then again, I only play with people I know well from outside the game and who are capable of separating in-game conflict from out-of-game friendship; were I DMing a bunch of people that I didn't know and-or who didn't know each other it'd be different until we all got much better acquainted out-of-game.
I try to get new people into my games when I can, so the last thing I need a new player to run into is Jerky McStabstheparty. So it is just an upfront rule that I request your character be party-friendly and adventure-oriented. So people who show up with characters who aren't that have essentially already broken my table rules, which means they're effectively on "Strike 2" when they start deciding the adventure needs to be centered around them.

AFAIC "what the character would do" is paramount if you're role-playing it at all well; entitlement has nothing to do with it. The character can be a complete jerk even if the player otherwise isn't, but the player has to remain true to that even if it means role-playing the PC right out of the party - or into its grave, should it annoy the other PCs sufficiently. :)
Players may not be their characters, but players also are their characters. There's a blurry line here for many people between Bob being a jerk and Bob's PC rogue Mr. McStabbins is being a jerk. Some people cannot differentiate between Bob attacking them, and McStabbings attacking Elfina. Likewise, Bob himself may be using McStabbins attacking Elfina as a way to dominate other players. Since it's a group game a PC exercising jerkishness towards other PCs is often a sign of a player passive-aggressively attacking other players. I don't have the time or the patience to psychoanalyze Bob so it's just a pretty hard-fast "don't" and is something I take an extremely dim view on.

I would quickly trade you all the back-stabbing rogues and their players for one party-friendly player.

By the same token, a player who has established a more co-operative persona for a PC has to remain true to that even if the player wants to do something nasty. (side note: I think this is part of why Gygax put such harsh penalties in 1e for those who changed alignments, to damp down PCs acting according to the mood of their player at the moment)
I dislike alignment greatly, for starters. Secondly, I'm not terribly heavy-handed on players "remaining true to character" except in extremes. IE: a good player who doesn't kill children suddenly decides to kill some children. That's when I'll hold up a hand and go "You need to give me the best darn reason in the world for this dramatic character shift, or what you're saying just doesn't happen." Other decisions like "I'm fed up with the party." are within the realm of "humanoids gotta humanoid", sometimes people just make radical, sudden decisions like that. Ever been cut off by someone with no warning on social media? Same deal.

TLDR: I expect players to keep generally in character, I don't expect their characters to be perfectly rational actors.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Players may not be their characters, but players also are their characters. There's a blurry line here for many people between Bob being a jerk and Bob's PC rogue Mr. McStabbins is being a jerk. Some people cannot differentiate between Bob attacking them, and McStabbings attacking Elfina. Likewise, Bob himself may be using McStabbins attacking Elfina as a way to dominate other players. Since it's a group game a PC exercising jerkishness towards other PCs is often a sign of a player passive-aggressively attacking other players. I don't have the time or the patience to psychoanalyze Bob so it's just a pretty hard-fast "don't" and is something I take an extremely dim view on.

I would quickly trade you all the back-stabbing rogues and their players for one party-friendly player.

Another solution to McStabbings attacking Elfina is that McStabbings gets to choose his action and Elfina gets to chose the result.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Another solution to McStabbings attacking Elfina is that McStabbings gets to choose his action and Elfina gets to chose the result.

Another solution is to have Bob hand me McStabbings' character sheet, because as the GM I control the party's antagonists.

Of course the other, much better solution is make sure Bob never makes McStabbings because from the beginning of the campaign we've clearly established, through the social contract, that PCs will be expected to work together and that intra-party combat is explicitly forbidden, and avoid the whole messy situation altogether.

Nearly all of these kerfuffles described in this thread are an issue with a difference in expectations between one or more players and the GM. Or, you know, general antisocial behavior, but as has been stated multiple times in this thread already that's not really unique to RPGs.

I

Immortal Sun

I can't say I've ever tried it, but that is how I run inter-party skill checks. When Bob rolls diplomacy, his result is not how well he convinced the party, but how strong of an argument he made. The other player may opt to roll a counter-check and abide by the results, or simply claim to not be convinced. I've never considered applying that to inter-PC conflict.

But I generally find requesting people don't to begin with nips this all in the bud a lot faster.

Celebrim

Legend
I haven't had intraparty conflict come up in game I was running in a really long time. What I typically see falls more under 'Loonie' behavior than full out social dysfunction. The player's aesthetics of play lead them to want to start unnecessary trouble, to take wacky actions, and be disruptive without actually having their characters commit crimes against other members of the party. Typically the problem is that the player wants to play extreme Chaotic Evil (regardless of what is on the character sheet) while the party is mostly heroic, or at least pragmatic in outlook, and starts up some side plot on his own which - if the actions were known to the party - would cause conflict. Or the player has some cunning plan that he hasn't explained to the party which he goes off on his own to do.

A typical example would be deciding to sign up to compete in an illegal pit fighting tournament, even though in the city before this one they learned that the BBEG had some connection to an illegal pit fighting ring, and in order to maximize his profits from this affair the PC decides to get play bill's printed up, and plaster's them all over the city announcing his participation in an illegal pit fighting tournament at a certain location and at a certain time, even though the party knows that they are being hunted by assassins. Needless to say, there are a score of ways that this 'plan' might not end well, and no really likely ways for it to work out well, especially if the player is keeping this plan secret from the rest of the party until basically the last moment.

Or a player of this sort might, in the middle of a mass combat involving hundreds of NPCs, decide to separate themselves from the rest of the party and go over and participate in that fight occurring way over there, even as the combat where the PCs are at continues. Now, there might be occasions where the rest of the party doesn't see the tactical necessity of doing something somewhere else or the fact that what is going on right now is only a distraction, but in this case, going way over there only resulted in getting surrounded with no source of healing or other succor immediately available. Or they might decide, while the party is in opposition to a slaver ring, to secretly sell slaves to the slaving ring on the side - not to win their trust and so get on the inside, but purely because they thought it a good way to make some profit. Or they may decide that the big glowing circle of protection from evil that surrounds the demonic statue is as everyone else in the party believes, there to keep a demonic force trapped, but is in fact there to trick people into not looting the statue of some fabulous treasure. Or they may decide, upon inspecting a box in a magical laboratory that indicates it contains something that if released represents a hazard to all life in an entire continent, to sneak away from the rest of the party and open the box because really, "How bad could it be?". Or, well you get the idea...

Generally speaking, the functional response to intraparty conflict is to kill the PC and bury the body. Most intraparty conflict is predicated on the idea that they'll cut the character some slack because he's a PC that they would never cut if it is an NPC. But most of the time they also create characters the party has no reason to be loyal to in the first place, and at the first sign the player is metagaming simply metagame back and kill the character as a group and keep doing that until the player learns there is no way to win at that game.

As far as alignment goes, I'm a big fan, but as a DM my only real concern is that a player has the alignment on their sheet that corresponds to the way the player is actually going to play the character. I have no intention of punishing a player for changing alignment, but I don't ever let you play one thing and then have some other label. In fact, I will go so far as to bribe a player whose alignment has been trending in one direction, by offering 100XP in exchange for altering their alignment on the sheet. If I feel that behavior has been trending in one direction for a while, then if they make another act that would in my opinion move the alignment over a line, I'll offer a reward for doing so. I also offer a similar 100XP reward for taking actions that are very much in character for your alignment, such as destroying valuable items of opposing alignments rather than keeping or selling them, or otherwise acting 'in character'. Just don't try to tell me you are 'Chaotic Neutral' when you clearly prefer to play a treacherous, cold blooded killer and we'll get along fine.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
As a DM, I thought the in-game crime was when my group cleared everything out of a dragon's lair except the dragon and decided "We want to fort up in this one room and take a long rest." What, the dragon is not going to notice all his squabbling minions and fawning lieutenant went awfully quiet?

As a player, I had a DM who was going to leave the campaign IRL - end of the school year approaching - so he tried to kill each of the PCs before he left. Both I and my Paladin had the same reaction. He slew only the Cleric, and in a separate fight almost slew me. The rest of the group survived until he had left.

Remove ads