What are the biggest RPG crimes?

Players cheating is right up the top for me. I also don't look too kindly upon PC's attacking, stealing from or otherwise destroying party unity with the excuse of "I'm just playing my character".

DMs playing favourites or punitively punishing players is also up near the top (especially punishing them in-game for out-of-game issues) or completely railroading a game, to the point that any other solutions to the problem besides the "one true solution" basically auto-fail.

As someone that hosts our game and has so for over a decade now, disrespecting my house it a big RPG crime for me. Don't throw your bag down against my wall. If you have any rubbish, put it in the bin, don't leave it on the floor next to you. If you drop a deuce in the toilet, clean up after yourself. It's just basic decency.

Something that annoys me to no end, is when the DM uses his npc's to force actions on the players. In my opinion, a game of D&D is all about choices. The players choose what they want to do, and more importantly, what they do NOT want to do. I hate it when the DM then decides to have the npc do that thing that we didn't want to do, to force something to happen.

Say for example that there is a statue in the room, and the DM really wants us to examine it, but we as players choose to leave it alone... But then all of a sudden the DM states that the npc examines the statue, giving us the information anyway. I hate this. If the information is that important, just give it to us the moment we lay eyes on the statue, and if it isn't important, just let us ignore it. I don't like it when a DM railroads the campaign with his npc's. It makes me resent those npc's.

Remove ads