• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the essentials

invokethehojo

First Post
So I've been out of 4e for awhile. Between GenCon and Amazon I keep hearing about the new Essentials product line... and I honestly have no idea what it is from the info I can gather. Is it a new game? Is it a branch off a alternate rules like unearthed arcana? Is it just a rip off repackaging of stuff you probably already own?

Any one out there can fill me in?

malraux

First Post
So I've been out of 4e for awhile. Between GenCon and Amazon I keep hearing about the new Essentials product line... and I honestly have no idea what it is from the info I can gather. Is it a new game? Is it a branch off a alternate rules like unearthed arcana? Is it just a rip off repackaging of stuff you probably already own?

Any one out there can fill me in?

It's the destruction of all that is good about 4e and the salvation of that is awesome about DnD. Or something like that.

The basics are that its a series of 4e books with some updated/errated rules, plus some new builds of classes that are more consistent with the vibe of older editions. It is aimed primarily at those that do not currently play 4e.

So as near as I can tell, its mostly just reselling the same stuff, with a few new additions.

Riastlin

First Post
It's the destruction of all that is good about 4e and the salvation of that is awesome about DnD. Or something like that.

The basics are that its a series of 4e books with some updated/errated rules, plus some new builds of classes that are more consistent with the vibe of older editions. It is aimed primarily at those that do not currently play 4e.

So as near as I can tell, its mostly just reselling the same stuff, with a few new additions.

The stated goal of the Essentials line is to make the game easier to access for new players. It is supposed to be compatible with all current and future 4th Ed. materials. It is also bringing notably different build options (including optional changes to the "feel" of how the class plays) to many classes, which has a lot of people thinking its really 4.5 ed. In the end, odds are that if you have a bunch of 4th Ed. stuff and are experienced with it, you will not need Essentials, but may find some stuff in there that you want. This of course assumes that WotC is accurate in everything they have said.

At the very least it likely won't have an incompatibility issue along the lines of 3.0/3.5.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
One reason the snark has come out is that the essentials are different things to different people.

Lets try to stick to the facts as presented by the WotCies...

Bill Slavicsek said:
10 products that form the foundation of the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game moving forward. It's not only a great place to start if you're new to the game, but there's useful and compelling content in these products for the most longstanding members of the Dungeons & Dragons community.

Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game (red box). This essential boxed set contains everything you need for a group of players to start playing the Dungeons & Dragons game. It contains game rules, dice, maps, tokens, and an adventure that takes characters from 1st to 2nd level.

Dungeons & Dragons Rules Compendium. This comprehensive book contains the essential rules of the game collected in one place, taking a campaign from 1st to 30th level.

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Dice. The Dungeons & Dragons game and other games using the D&D Game System require a special set of dice. Pick up extra sets of dice so that every player has a set.
Player Essential Products

Heroes of the Fallen Lands. Create and play clerics, fighters, rogues, and wizards.

Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms. Create and play druids, paladins, rangers, and warlocks.

These player books feature the essential elements of the game from a player's point of view. Look for more details as we roll out our previews throughout the months of July, August, and September.

Dungeon Master Essential Products

Dungeon Master's Kit. This essential DM boxed set features game rules, advice, adventures, maps, tokens, and a DM Screen to help elevate the level of your ongoing campaign.

Monster Vault: Iconic Creatures for All Campaigns. This essential DM boxed set features a collection of monsters for use in any Dungeons & Dragons game, from 1st level to 30th level, and includes monster tokens and an adventure.

Dungeon Tiles Master Sets: Three master boxed sets of Dungeon Tiles (The Dungeon, The City, and The Wilderness) let you create encounter areas for any adventure. For use with Dungeons & Dragons tokens and miniatures.

So some is really newby oriented, some is sort of mixed, some is good if you want to get all the rules updates (of which there have been many in recent months) or want monsters conistent with recent guidelines.

One notable feature is that these seem to come with a lot of chrome: cards, tokens, etc, but prices aren't to high.

A second is that the red box and heroes products include quite distinct versions of certain classes, ie a more newby friendly fighter.

Another is that yes, some (like me) have argued that this plus all the rules updates constitute a new "version" of the game. Others do not agree. They are still compatible in any case.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
The Redbox is totally for new players and DM's

The 2 Heroes of books are for new and old players

The Rules Compendium is for new and old players/DM's

The DM's kit, the tiles and the Monster kit are for new and old DM's

The dice are for everyone

I think that breaks it down nicely

Remove ads