D&D General What are the "Fun Parts" for you?

Reynard

Legend
One of the mantras of D&D since WotC took over has been "Getting to the fun." The implication here is that there are parts of the game that are fun, and those that aren't, and those that act as paths, gateways or barricades to the fun. I think we can all agree that this is at least partially true: there are aspects of play that are more fun than others. But we can probably also agree that there are no objectively fun parts of the game. that is, everyone finds different things fun.

So, with that premise in mind and just for a friendly discussion, what are the "fun parts" of D&D to you? What aspects of play do you really enjoy? Are these aspects subject to, either enhanced or inhibited, by the game mechanics? And if so, does that mean different editions of the game have different "fun parts" for you? And finally,have these preferences changed over time?

For my own part, I find combat fun but only insofar as it does not get too tactical. I don't mind using a grid or whatever but I am just not a miniatures wargamer, so 5E's level of tactical depth is about as much as I am interested in. But I love a hard fought battle full of unexpected dice rolls and other surprises. The other part of the game that is THE FUN for me is adjudicating as GM when the party is trying to accomplish a thing, whether it is getting through a door or convincing a minor deity to help fight on heir behalf. I like the "conductor" aspect of that part of play -- not control, but trying to tease out something beautiful from the discord of play.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
So, with that premise in mind and just for a friendly discussion, what are the "fun parts" of D&D to you? What aspects of play do you really enjoy?

Creating a character that meshes well with the group and the DM's setting.

Playing a character in a living world and having an effect on that world through my choices, actions, accomplishments, and failures.

Problem solving, puzzles, bypassing obstacles.

The strategy and tactics of combat and resource management

I really like seeing characters grow as characters - character arcs, really, where they learn about themselves and the world and become better people for it. (This is why I don't like high-lethality games. I want some risk, but characters dying too often means I have to start building relationships all over again.)

That and a well-run and well-played combat, as a minigame. 5e is just barely deep enough to make this interesting to me, if all the parts are used. I would prefer much deeper games for this, but it's a lot harder to find people to play those games with, and pretty good DnD is better than no DnD.

Last edited:

Iry

Hero
The Exploration and Social pillars are fun to me, provided the exploration is more Indiana Jones and less 10 foot pole.

I am happy with combat, but think archetypes focus on combat too much. I wish there were more E and S archetype options.

Remove ads