• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the limits of Sculpt Spell (T&B)?

Saint Brendan

First Post
more useful spells

color spray, detect poison, faerie fire, fear, force cage, glyph of warding, invisibilty sphere, magic circle vs. evil etc, minor globe of invulnerability, power word blind, power word kill, repel vermin, sleep, silence, and sound burst

All are from the player's handbook and should be applicable for the Sculpt Spell feat while improving the area of effect

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Re: Re: What are the limits of Sculpt Spell (T&B)?

Pax said:

Any spell with the entry "Area" in it's statistics block, or (atleast one example I know of) "Target or Area" -- the Grease Spell has that one.

It it specifies only "Target" or only "Effect" ... it's not an area spell, no matter if it involves a spread, emanation, cone, burst, or whatnot.

Normally I might agree with that analysis, but this is the same book that ignored the singloe target terminology in splt ray and chain spell so that they included rays, ranged touch attacks etc. This book seems to in the split ray and chain spell examples seem to mean when it says things like effects a single target, not the effect line what does it say, but can it only target a single target in actuality. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happens for this feat, it effects spells that effectively have an area of effect and ignores that effect line.

apsuman

First Post
to continue the thread...

I assme that the four cubes could be stacked up. YOu could create a pillar of fire 10'X10'X40'. Or any of the classic tetris pieces, yes?

Does the feat override the spell limiations, I am thinking of burning hands here. BH lis limited to a 10' radius (your hands being in the center) T&B says you could turn it into a cone. I assume that the cone could extend more than 10' from your hands?

And, do you have to see the space for the four cubes? In other words, could you have a fireball snake around a corner? What ifyou don't know what is around the corner.

If you make something a cylinder, 30 feet tall and 10 feet radius, is the cylindar hollow? In other words, if I change fireball to this shape, could I be at it's center and be unaffected by the spell? On that same note, are the four cubes solid? I assumed so.

Finally, does this feat work with the vaious wall spells? A wall of iron (or stone) in these shapes could amke things really really interresting. Use wall fo stone to make four cubes and start making your own pyramid!

g!

Shard O'Glase

First Post
apsuman said:
to continue the thread...

I assme that the four cubes could be stacked up. YOu could create a pillar of fire 10'X10'X40'. Or any of the classic tetris pieces, yes?

Does the feat override the spell limiations, I am thinking of burning hands here. BH lis limited to a 10' radius (your hands being in the center) T&B says you could turn it into a cone. I assume that the cone could extend more than 10' from your hands?

And, do you have to see the space for the four cubes? In other words, could you have a fireball snake around a corner? What ifyou don't know what is around the corner.

If you make something a cylinder, 30 feet tall and 10 feet radius, is the cylindar hollow? In other words, if I change fireball to this shape, could I be at it's center and be unaffected by the spell? On that same note, are the four cubes solid? I assumed so.

Finally, does this feat work with the vaious wall spells? A wall of iron (or stone) in these shapes could amke things really really interresting. Use wall fo stone to make four cubes and start making your own pyramid!

g!

Criminey if even 1/2 the stuff on this thread works this will quickly become a must have feat for any sorcerer I eventually play.

Stalker0

Legend
Yeah, the more I'm looking at scuplt spell the more bad ass it seems.

As for the cube question, I would rule the cubes have to be within the the range of the spell.

So for a fireball, you could put the cubes anywhere in long range, burning hands could only go out to a 10 ft range.

Stalker0

Legend
Other uses for it

Alarm- Use the cube version to create a trapped floor version, where certain areas are alarmed. You could spread out the emanation preety good then.

Antilife Shell- You could create an antilife wall or a cone that could stop all monsters from entering a hallway.

Antimagic Field- Probably one of the most badass spell to use this for.

Circle of Death- Cube version for this one, you can drop this thing on creatures at medium range.

Cone of Cold- you can pump it up to an even longer cone.

Detect x- Put this thing up as two cubes in front and two cubes in back, and you've got detection on both sides of a hallway.

Dispel Magic- Holy Lord!! Cone this one or go the cube version and pick your targets.

Entangle- my problem has always been that often this one is too large. Using cubes, you can pick only your enemies and save your allies from it.

Faerie Fire- bump it up to a 20ft ball or cone, and you've got a see invisibility spell for druids, as well as the other great effects.

Fear Spells- need I say more?

Fireball- damn...

Flame Strike-this one gets damn powerful in cone or ball form.

Forcecage- this one takes the cake imho. I can create a cone of cage, or creating 4 10 foot cages. And I no longer have to choose between barred or windowless, I can pick either one and still get more milege.

Glitterdust- cone of blindness!!

Hypnotism- cube it, cone it, or ball it, and its much more effective.

Ice Storm- cube it, pick four spots for no saves.

Invisiblity Sphere more range.

Magic Circle against evil-double the range.

Minor Globe of invulnerability- This one is sweet. You can double the range of it, or you slap it down as cubes on your allies.

Shatter- you get a lot more range with this one, but only on the one that shatters nonmagical objects.

Sound burst- nice as a ball or cone.

Sunbeam- You could change it to cube or ball form, and use it as a standard action each round.

Now the question I have, is can you use enlarge spell to double the new areas you define?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
apsuman said:

Metamagic feats do not "see" each other. So, no.

g!

I always hated that ruleing for reasons like this. In situations like enalrged, twined fireball spell it just seems wierd that one fireball shoots far the other shoots normal. About the only real abuse is extened persitent spells, a better rule would of been metamagic feats don't see thier pre-req feats, not all metamagic feats don't see any other metamaigc feats. Heck even if you allowed a maximized empower it wouldn't break things(legitemetly you could say there was no variable numeric so no empower) but anyways at 5 + levels a maximized empower doesn't help any more than a maximized spell of two elvels higher. Because by the time you can throw the maximezed empower you've run out the damage caps for the next damage cap anyways.(max/empower fireball damage=to maximzed cone of cold)

Remove ads