What Are You Listening To?

grufflehead

First Post
Pretty naff videos but the music is very underrated. They actually have 8 albums to their name, and they are all pretty solid. They started off as a fairly straight up Euro power metal act with In a Time of Blood and Fire - I think there was a 10th anniversary re-package with that, and Tales of Mystery and Imagination plus a load of demos, remasters, and live tracks which is well worth getting. EDIT: it's called Lost in Time - The Early Years of Nocturnal Rites.

Can't remember at what stage they switched to their current vocalist, but he's got that earthy edge which makes him stand out from the mass of high-pitched, clean singers who populate the genre. Grand Illusion is probably my favourite of the newer era.

weem

First Post
That's a lot of fairly sophisticated rap for a rock guy...bingeing on a guilty pleasure?

Not really binging no, hehe. It's simply what is appealing to me more right now. I go back and forth between the two as the mood changes ;)

I mostly listen to rock, but rap is up there - a close second. I generally prefer that style as well - the more underground, or more lyrically intelligent style - more unique, etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not really binging no, hehe. It's simply what is appealing to me more right now. I go back and forth between the two as the mood changes ;)

I mostly listen to rock, but rap is up there - a close second. I generally prefer that style as well - the more underground, or more lyrically intelligent style - more unique, etc.

You remind me of an amusing incident:

I was driving back from a party, late at night. I had my windows down and my music blasting(ish).

I stopped for a red light, and seconds later, a car pulls up to my left, doing essentially the same as I was doing.

I looked at him, a white guy pumping Public Enemy. He looked at me, a black guy broadcasting Judas Priest. We laughed our asses off until the light turned green and we went our separate ways.

Richards

Legend
Like usual, I'm listening to broadcasts of the radio program Music from the Hearts of Space that I tape on 120-minute cassettes (which are getting increasingly harder to find!). Recent CD usage includes Sade, Pink Floyd, Suzanne Vega, AIRO (American Indian Rock Opera), Frank Zappa, and Jill Tracy.

Johnathan

weem

First Post
You remind me of an amusing incident:

I was driving back from a party, late at night. I had my windows down and my music blasting(ish).

I stopped for a red light, and seconds later, a car pulls up to my left, doing essentially the same as I was doing.

I looked at him, a white guy pumping Public Enemy. He looked at me, a black guy broadcasting Judas Priest. We laughed our asses off until the light turned green and we went our separate ways.

That's awesome, haha.

Starman

Adventurer
I've been listening to Avantasia's two new albums, Angel of Babylon and The Wicked Symphony. Unfortunately, I'm a bit disappointed. They're both very good, but none of the tracks have really stood out. I love the title track from the previous album, The Scarecrow, but nothing on these two albums has really grabbed me.

Remove ads