What are you listening to?

Been listening to an old Paradise Lost album called Gothic (I only had this and one other of their albums). At the time it came out it had a really big impact on me. I believe this album also had a strong influence on goth music, could be wrong, but for me I was coming at it from Death Metal and it was quite interesting to hear death vocals over a more rock style sound. The guitar is somewhere between British New Wave Heavy Metal and U2, plus it had a female vocalist to put some melody on the voice end (which I hadn't really heard before---sure some there band was mixing death vocals and melody but this was my first time encountering it). At the time this came out, I was in a death metal/Doom metal band (we covered both subgenres but became more doomy as time went on). There was a sense that metal was just getting heavier and heavier as death metal exploded, and I it was albums like this, and Cathedrals Forest Equilibrium that made me realize the it wasn't just going to get heavier and heavier but fork into wild new directions. This album is a little on the rough side in the mixing, but that is also part of its charm for me:

Been listening to an old Paradise Lost album called Gothic (I only had this and one other of their albums). At the time it came out it had a really big impact on me. I believe this album also had a strong influence on goth music, could be wrong, but for me I was coming at it from Death Metal and it was quite interesting to hear death vocals over a more rock style sound.
I'm not sure about the influence on Goth music, but it's definitely a good one - would place it among my top 3 PL albums I own (I think I have most of them until 2005).

Personally listening right now to Hulder (freshly found via Black Metal Promotion):

Remove ads