What are you listening to?

I'm not sure about the influence on Goth music, but it's definitely a good one - would place it among my top 3 PL albums I own (I think I have most of them until 2005).

Personally listening right now to Hulder (freshly found via Black Metal Promotion):

I don't really know much about the Goth scene, but my impression was bands like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride started appealing more to that fanbase as the 90s wore on (both bands shifted from death to cleaner vocals for example). So my statement about that was just based on speculation from this impression

A fellow BM fan! Was beginning to think I was the only one on these boards...
I used to blame it on myself moving from a lively university town with multiple metal clubs to the suburbs of another one with a far less activity, but it does seem now that the number of black metal fans is maybe receding a bit since the heyday of the late 90s and early 00s.
That being said, for me personally, the music never lost its appeal, and I'm very much looking forward to e.g. the upcoming Darkspace album. And for all its faults, Youtube's recommender algorithm is the first one since the days of Audio Galaxy that does a decent job in letting me discover new albums.

Right now, I'm listening to one of Cryo Chamber's excellent dark ambient mixes, though:

Jahydin

Hero
I used to blame it on myself moving from a lively university town with multiple metal clubs to the suburbs of another one with a far less activity, but it does seem now that the number of black metal fans is maybe receding a bit since the heyday of the late 90s and early 00s.
I think it's actually more popular than ever! There is just so much content and so many ways of discovering it, I think everyone gets fragmented from each other.

Like I've been listening to BM since the 90s, but had no idea Grausamkeit and company were popular memes on social media. Found out when I noticed Eillish sporting them:
Billie.jpg

Last edited:

Listening to the 1990 Hamlet Soundtrack by Ennio Morricone (or at least what I can find of it, as I no longer have a CD player and it does not appear available in digital format). This was one of my favorite soundtracks in high school. Used it for gaming but also learned tracks like Dance for the Queen on guitar.

And decided to continue that period of Morricone with the wolf soundtrack (always like the use of harpsichord in this one):

Remove ads