• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading (Feb 08)?

Banshee16

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
And another newer one that looks both controversial and interesting. No dust-jacket, title or ISBN. Talks in great detail about oddities in the archaeological record in the Americas and the possibility that various peoples may've had failed temporary settlements in the Americas pre-Columbus. Reads like an extended academic paper or maybe a doctoral thesis.

Such as the the Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland?

Banshee

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Such as the the Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland?

Banshee
One among many. It points out a series of unattributable stone ruins and paved street on Cape Breton Island. They aren't from any of the early settlements and were in fact remarked upon by Cabot who discovered them as well as the next two explorers to stop there well before Europeans began using the location. A couple more ruins whose origin doesn't match up. Also the potential for a short-lived Chinese settlement on the West Coast. Haven't reached as far as the last part yet. This is really dense reading. I think it's somebody's doctoral thesis re-edited into book form.

Megaton

First Post
BadMojo said:
If you're skipping the poems (I hope not), give "Ulalume" a try. That's a good one. One of my favorites, actually.

It never really clicked for me until I heard Jeff Buckley read it on "Closed on Account of Rabies", a very cool two CD set of various famous folks reading Poe. Christopher Walken reads "The Raven". Seriously.

Don't worry, I'm reading everything, but I'm going through the short stories first. I haven't heard of those CDs, but Walken reading Poe must be awesome.

Richards

Legend
Mars, by Ben Bova, detailing the first manned expedition to the red planet. I'm over halfway done, and it's been really good thus far.

Johnathan

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Brasyl by Ian McDonald. I decided to read it as it's made an appearance on several best of the year list. McDonald throws in a lot of Brazilian Portuguese terms, which can make it tough going at times, but I'm about a 100 pages in -- and I can see why people are making a fuss about it now. There are three threads, one hundreds of years in the past, one in modern times, and one in the 2030s. I assume at some point they will intersect.

I wasn't very excited by River of Gods, his "India in 2049" novel, but after reading a short story prequel in one of the Best of... anthologies and then this, I know what's next on my list.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads