What are you Reading? Froody February 2019 edition

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=508]Richards[/MENTION], The Lies of Locke Lamora catapulted Scott Lynch to my "must read everything by him list".

As a point of interest, he was originally going to write what would be the fourth story first, but realized he couldn't jump right in there. He's got seven books planned - or at least titles for them on his saddly-out-of-date blog.

Books 2 and 3 have been out for a while, Book 4 (the one he was going to write first) is one of those "any day now" where there keep being rumors about it. But he's gone through marriage and moving and lots of RL which seems to keep delaying it.

Still, Lies is sooo good, IMNSHO.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Finally broke my no-reading streak. I was slowly (sloooowly) reading Seveneves since December. Finished it a week or so ago. Have books on my TBR pile, not inspired. Last night I picked up an old favorite, The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook. Next thing I knew it was midnight and I was over half done.

Woo!

Finished Sir Terry’s Thud! A good one, definitely. Now, I’m reading the first Stephen King book I will have ever read, The Running Man.

The Running Man, along with Roadwork and Rage and one other title that I can't think of offhand (the ones written under the Richard Bachman psuedonym) have quite a different feel to King's other books. Not bad, but not that distinctly King flavor (which, of course, you are unfamiliar with anyway so...)

Anyway, The Running Man is fun times in the "oh, those poor people." sort of way that all of the Bachman Books are (The Long Walk, that is the other one).

I have just started Mark Twain's Roughing It and am finishing up H Rider Haggard's Allan Quatermain.

I’ve seen my share of film adaptations of his work, oddly enough. I went with The Running Man to start because, of all of his movie adaptations, that’s certainly my favorite. Even if, yeah, it’s very different from the book.

The Running Man, along with Roadwork and Rage and one other title that I can't think of offhand (the ones written under the Richard Bachman psuedonym) have quite a different feel to King's other books. Not bad, but not that distinctly King flavor (which, of course, you are unfamiliar with anyway so...)

Mark Twain is always good. Haven't gotten to Haggard's writing, but I've got a few books of his I picked up here and there. One of these days...

I have just started Mark Twain's Roughing It and am finishing up H Rider Haggard's Allan Quatermain.

Mark Twain is always good. Haven't gotten to Haggard's writing, but I've got a few books of his I picked up here and there. One of these days...

One thing that I found surprising about Haggard's work (I read King Solomon's Mines a month or so ago) was how affected I was by the casual mention of elephant murder. I mean, I don't know any elephants personally, and I was aware of the reputation of the Allan Quatermain character as the 'great hunter' or whatever, but the first time I read a scene of serious elephant murder, I got super mad about it.

Also, there is the South African version of the word that is used to describe black people, as well as a bunch of 'noble savage' bs, which is unfortunate. The stories are still good, but that is something to be prepared for.

Thanks for the warning. H. Rider Haggard's influence lasted quite a while, and not all of it is for the best. I mean, heck, we're still dealing with the noble savage and other colonialist tropes today.

One thing that I found surprising about Haggard's work (I read King Solomon's Mines a month or so ago) was how affected I was by the casual mention of elephant murder. I mean, I don't know any elephants personally, and I was aware of the reputation of the Allan Quatermain character as the 'great hunter' or whatever, but the first time I read a scene of serious elephant murder, I got super mad about it.

Also, there is the South African version of the word that is used to describe black people, as well as a bunch of 'noble savage' bs, which is unfortunate. The stories are still good, but that is something to be prepared for.

Remove ads