What are you Reading? Froody February 2019 edition

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Working my way through, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold.

After so many books with Miles' frantically silver-tonguing it, Ivan is an interesting change of pace. Especially if you've picked up from the earlier books that Ivan's public persona is a bit of a facade, or at least not all there is to him.

Richards

Legend
Well, I finished The Lies of Locke Lamora last night and realized anything I read next would pale in comparison, so I opted for something I don't really expect a whole lot out of, other than to be marginally interesting - enough for bedtime reading, in any case. So I went with a Star Trek novel I picked up for fifty cents: The Children of Kings, by David Stern. It's set during the time when Captain Pike headed up the Enterprise, with Spock as his science officer and Number One as his first officer, just as it was during the original pilot episode of the original series. It's weird not knowing (or remembering) any of the characters except those three, but so far it's okay. The Klingons are rumored to have developed some sort of "cloaking device" (imagine that), and the Orions are going to come into play at some point apparently.

Johnathan

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
After so many books with Miles' frantically silver-tonguing it, Ivan is an interesting change of pace. Especially if you've picked up from the earlier books that Ivan's public persona is a bit of a facade, or at least not all there is to him.

Yes - in a few choice places in other books, they've made it clear that Ivan has a well-considered face he's constructed.

In this book, they actually lay out *why* he has that facade. And the answer isn't just, "he's lazy and smart enough to avoid work".

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
So I'm traveling for work soon, which gives me lots of time to read. While traveling I usually only bring one paperback (already from my TBD pile) and load up on ebooks on my kindle. My ebook library isn't all that large and I've read the three major series on it recently, so I'm looking to stock up.

So, can you suggest to me cheap kindle books? Well, legal free from elsewhere is also welcome, I've got Calibre and have side loaded a lot of free released books. First book in a series/trilogy/duology is fine - if I like it I can purchase the others.

Basically, I'm looking to stock up on a bunch of cheap (<$3) books where if I don't like something that's okay - I didn't spend a lot and I have a stash of others.

So, what are your recommendations?

You can get a bunch of pulp tales free. Bram Stoker's stuff is free. Lord Dunsany's Fifty One Tales is free, and quite good. Charlie Holmberg's The Paper Magician is only $2, and I found it quite charming. The Eye of Argon is $3, and dare I say it, worth every penny.

In the future, I'd recommend getting on The Portalist's mailing list. They send daily deals of cheap fantasy and sci-fi eBooks. There's a lot of shovelware, but if you're willing to wade through that, you can get all sorts of good stuff cheaply.

Basically, I'm looking to stock up on a bunch of cheap (<$3) books where if I don't like something that's okay - I didn't spend a lot and I have a stash of others.

Also don't forget to check out Project Gutenberg for titles that have gone out of copyright (in the US, that's titles published during or before 1923). If you like mysteries, Agatha Christie's first two Hercule Poirot novels, The Mysterious Affair at Styles and The Murder on the Links are available there. As well as about 85,000 other titles.

If you use the Kindle's experimental web browser, you can download them directly into your Kindle Library.

Remove ads