What are you reading in 2024?

JEB

Legend
Going into 2024 with Around the World in 80 Days (I read one classic per year). May also finally get around to reading a book called Secondhand, about garbage around the world, which looked surprisingly interesting (recommendation from my mom).

My big reading project in the next few months will be the original D&D rulebooks, so I can run an OD&D game for the 50th anniversary later this year.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Finishing the Dresden Files. A couple of my players convinced me to read the series. They must know me well. I started the first book in early November and am now on book 16.
Damn, man. That's fast. My wife loves the series. I couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I'll give it another go this year.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Damn, man. That's fast. My wife loves the series. I couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I'll give it another go this year.
I have to make two trips each 4-6 weeks, each with 24 or more hours of travel (depending on layovers), and spend weeks away from home at a time. I have a lot of time to read. :)

My friends warned me that it takes a couple books to really pick up. I was turned off a bit by the writing for the first novel. The second was a bit better, but not great. But Butcher's writing does get better throughout the series. He is not a wordsmith like, say, Patrick Rothfuss (Name of the Wind, one of my favorite books of the last 10 years). But the stories are are fun and the character development and supernatural politics are interesting.

Also, I think what helped is that before I read that series, I read a series of gumshoe detective novels written by a friend of mine set in post WW II honolulu. The Dresden books are very much in the style of gumshoe detective novels with many of the same tropes. Hard-boilded detective getting in life and death fights, focus on attractive women, sex scenes, and a mystery. The Dresden Files are that, set in Chicago, based on wizards, fairies, elves, vampires, etc. being real, but hidden from most people.

The fantasy conflicts with the mystery aspects because it is hard to get overly invested into trying to follow and figure out the mystery when that answer is inevitably "magic", but later books build on earlier books so eventually I found myself getting invested in the politics and rules of that world. Despite what I might see as flaws in other books, Butcher pulls it off and it really is like geek crack for me. I have trouble putting down the books once I start reading them. They are a fun, light read that are great for relaxing after a long day's work or on a plane.

I finished reading Anderson's The Merman's Children. Its story of the diminishing of Faerie seemed appropriate to the end of the year.

Now I'm reading Mark Finn's Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard.

I listened e to Andy Serkis reading of the Hobbit last year: really does hold up as a piece of literature.

The Hobbit has a lot going for it. Though I think it more likely someone will get the idea to remake Lord of the Rings first, I still hope for someone to do a proper live action adaptation that 1 - preserves the tone of the book and 2 - isn't ballooned out into a trilogy someday.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Working through The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk. This has been a real eye-opener.

Decalog, the first of three Doctor Who anthologies from the '90s, all telling one big story. Haven't made it very far, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Adventures Across Space and Time: A Doctor Who Reader - a collection of scholarly pieces from throughout the history of the show, cover a wide array of academic topics. Pretty interesting.

A stack of DC digest comics from the '70s & '80s that I picked up a while back on eBay. They're a lot of fun.

Jim Henson's Labyrinth: Bestiary, by S.T. Bende and Iris Compiet. Compiet is the illustrator, and their work is amazing.

The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook, by Alan Lee. I can look at Alan Lee's pencil work all day, every day.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Working through The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk. This has been a real eye-opener.
How so? PTSD is part of my mix of troubles and I’m always on the lookout for useful new-to-me insights.

R_J_K75

Legend
I spent a good portion of yesterday reading the Shadowdark RPG. It's such a quick read, very barebones and simple. I'm really excited to start playing it next week. Is it the best TTRPG, probably not, but I think a lot of other RPG designers could learn a lot from it, so theirs don't read like a technical manual.

As far as novels/Biographies, I still have two sitting on my night stand I bought 2 and 3 years ago. I just never get around to them or finish them when I start them these days.

Remove ads