• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading in 2024?

I loved that book when I was a kid. I will never re-read because I don't want to revisit it through a more critical lens. I'm happy with it living on in my memories as a treasured book from my youth.
Do you remember the newspaper comic strip? The local paper actually carried it back in 1978, both dailies and Sundays. Don't think it was widely syndicated, unfortunately.

We had Goulart & Kane's Star Hawks too, which was just amazing. That paper's been dead since the late 1980s but it had the best comics page I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Hachette UK has just reprinted Sterling Lanier's book Hiero's Journey as part of their SF Masterworks series (under the Gateway Imprint).
Great couple of books, even with the unfinished story. I used a lot of ideas from them in Gamma World, like many gamers. Tied with Snow Crash for having the most on-the-nose protagonist name ever.

Have you ever read Farmer's Dark Is The Sun? I read it around the same time I did the Hiero novels and it's always seemed to have a similar feel to it to me. Objectively it's closer to being a Dying Earth/Numenera sort of setting, but it still has that "exploring the aftermath of civilization's collapse" vibe I get from Hiero.

Prime_Evil

Adventurer
Have you ever read Farmer's Dark Is The Sun? I read it around the same time I did the Hiero novels and it's always seemed to have a similar feel to it to me. Objectively it's closer to being a Dying Earth/Numenera sort of setting, but it still has that "exploring the aftermath of civilization's collapse" vibe I get from Hiero.
Not for many years. Farmer is hit or miss. I loved the World of the Tiers series as a teenager, but they don't stand up so well so many years later. They did serve as an inspiration for Zelazny's Amber series though. The Riverworld series is still great..

Farmer is hit or miss.
Too true. That particular novel worked very well for me even on a re-read a decade or so back, but a lot of his stuff hasn't so I've been leaving him be at this point.

The review quoted in that wiki article is hilariously savage, to the point of absurdity. I love it when some lit critic thinks that discourages people. Quite the opposite, usually.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Finished Mushoku Tensei Vol 24. Two more to go. My predictions are coming true. Not the specific details, but some of the beats. Some great twists and surprises. My jaw legit hit the floor at one sentence. Not at the obvious one (the ambush on the bridge), but at the appropriate “oh, $&@#” one (the teleportation circles dying). I’m still absolutely loving the series. It’s been a wild ride. I know characters will be killed off, but I don’t want any of them to die, dammit.
I’m having a similar issue with spoilery chapter titles.
Had this happen again in opening the next volume. I’m reading on my Kobo so I either flip the pages and see the table of contents or I look at the navigation screen which shows me the table of contents. So far that’s the only downside I’ve experienced with my eReader, and that’s only because the author, editor, or publisher insists on spoilers in the chapter titles.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The Empire of The Wolf series -
In the running for Best Modern Fantasy Series I've Read.

Great things start from little things. When Justice Sir Konrad Vonvalt prevents a massacre in a tiny northern pagan village and earns the enmity of priest Bartholomew Claver, he has no idea that act will precipitate the greatest crisis the Empire of Sova has ever faced or ever will.

58293284.jpg
60028919.jpg
60028924.jpg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Finished Mushoku Tensei Vol 25. One more to go. Lots of cool twists and surprises. Despite this one being shorter than most it took me longer to read. Several big fights back-to-back with overly detailed descriptions which turned them into slogs at times. I’m noticing some errors that weren’t there in earlier volumes or I glossed over them. Descriptions not matching up a few paragraphs later, characters disappearing from scenes they were in, things like that. Not a lot, but enough in a row to catch my eye. I’m excited and a bit hesitant to finish the series. Want to see the end, but don’t want to say goodbye to the world or the characters.

A friend recommended Dungeon Crawler Carl. It's like if John Scalzi wrote a novel adaptation of Diablo. In other words, pretty dumb but kinda fun. Zero thought required.
Grief, there's six of the things already and they're apparently only on floor eight of eighteen in the mega-dungeon. This is going to get milked for a good long while to come. They may great, but I'm getting Castle Perilous and Myth Adventures flashbacks just thinking about buying in to this.

Remove ads