What are you reading [Jun 2017]?

Richards

Legend
I remember those Sector General books. They were very good - I still remember liking them despite not having read anything new in the series for literally dozens of years.

Johnathan

Jhaelen

First Post
I finally started reading 'The Prestige' by Christopher Priest. Unlike in the film adaption, the first part is set in today's time and about a descendant of one of the illusionists, so that's new to me. I'm very interested in how much the novel's different from the movie.

Finally finished Esslemont’s Return of the Crimson Guard. Despite feeling more “Malazan-y” than the prior novel, with its 800+ page length, disparate narratives, and strong military fantasy bent, I liked it much less. Something was missing. In Erikson’s Malazan books, there’s always a payoff, a connectivity that ties the tales together. In this book, that just wasn’t done in a satisfactory way. Things felt either tacked-on or unresolved. Still, it was nice to return to the Malazan world.

Now it’s onto Flashing Swords #2, the sword & sorcery collection edited by Lin Carter.

Richards

Legend
I remember the "Flashing Swords!" collections. There were some pretty good stories in there.

I just started Dean Koontz's The Face. It ought to be good; out of the scores of his novels I've read over the years, he's only disappointed me twice.

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I finished off all four stories in N.K. Jemisin's The Inheritance Trilogy. For stories about gods and mortals, they were all very much about people. Quite solid, and also very consistent in the nature of the gods. 4/5 for the series. It was a trilogy, and then a novella got tacked on later. I enjoyed the heck out of the novella and read swaths of it out-loud to my wife. It did not stand by itself, but the internal dialog of a newborn godling had me bursting out in laughter time and time again. It was fun - to make a MCU reference it was Guardians of the Galaxy vs. Avengers.

I've just started The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, translated into English by Lucia Graves. Part of the lure was to expand what I read, and this is the first translated novel-length fiction I've ever read. I worried about if wordcrafting and polish might suffer, but it has so far be very enjoyable including on those fronts. I'm still early but it's pulled me in.

BattleMats

First Post
I can highly recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, it's the first book of the Gentleman Bastard series.

Reads just like a rogue based RPG campaign.

Nellisir

Hero
I finished off all four stories in N.K. Jemisin's The Inheritance Trilogy. For stories about gods and mortals, they were all very much about people. Quite solid, and also very consistent in the nature of the gods. 4/5 for the series. It was a trilogy, and then a novella got tacked on later. I enjoyed the heck out of the novella and read swaths of it out-loud to my wife. It did not stand by itself, but the internal dialog of a newborn godling had me bursting out in laughter time and time again. It was fun - to make a MCU reference it was Guardians of the Galaxy vs. Avengers.

Not sure I've read the novella. Where did you find it? These are the books that got me started on NK Jemisin.

Personally, the bit with the goddess of hunger and her pure indignation when confronted with the hole of nothing was just pure fun. :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Not sure I've read the novella. Where did you find it? These are the books that got me started on NK Jemisin.

Personally, the bit with the goddess of hunger and her pure indignation when confronted with the hole of nothing was just pure fun. :)

Oh yeah, Lil was great!

I had picked up a several inch thick softcover from Amazon that had the original trilogy and the novella. It shows for me as $12.53 or $9.99 for the kindle version. (Evil shoulder devil: If you buy it for yourself, you can give your other copies to someone who needs N.K. Jemisin in their life. Good shoulder angel: Eh, what he said.)

https://smile.amazon.com/Inheritanc...25673&sr=8-1&keywords=the+inheritance+trilogy

(Not an affiliate link, but it does go to smile.amazon.com to donate to a charity of your choice without costing you anything. So there.)

Nellisir

Hero
Oh yeah, Lil was great!

I had picked up a several inch thick softcover from Amazon that had the original trilogy and the novella. It shows for me as $12.53 or $9.99 for the kindle version. (Evil shoulder devil: If you buy it for yourself, you can give your other copies to someone who needs N.K. Jemisin in their life. Good shoulder angel: Eh, what he said.)

https://smile.amazon.com/Inheritanc...25673&sr=8-1&keywords=the+inheritance+trilogy

(Not an affiliate link, but it does go to smile.amazon.com to donate to a charity of your choice without costing you anything. So there.)

Oooo....Or I can keep both copies and read with both hands!!! :D

Remove ads