What are YOUR Favorite Items (and edition of each item)?

Kaodi

Hero
I do not know that I would call it my favourite magic item, because it is a little bland, but Heward's Handy Haversack is just... indispensable. Not having one of those for a character above a certain level is practically like being Batman without his utility belt.

Tom Servo

First Post
My favorite items generally break down into two camps. The first are items that allow for creative uses. Immovable rods, portable holes, decanters of endless water, etc.

The other category are homebrew items that have small but colorful effects. A mug that always chills/heats, a self lighting pipe, a scarf that always looks like it is waving in the wind, etc.

Magic weapons, armor, etc are always great to have (and often mean the difference between life and death), but I can't say any of those could rank as my favorite though.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Think my top 10 for "Magic Items that say D&D"...

1. Cloak of Elvinkind (matching Boots optional)
2. "Flame Tongue" sword
3. "Holy Avenger" sword
4. "Dwarven Thrower" hammer
5. Bag of Holding
6. Mace of Disruption
7. Boots of Striding and Springing
8. Boots of Flying
9. Staff of Power
10. Staff of the Serpent ("Snake Staff")

Hassassin

First Post
I like cursed items that you can still find uses for, or great items with some drawbacks. From 3e at least ring of clumsiness and armor of arrow attraction. From AD&D ring of truth and rod of terror.

Uniformly good items I like include immovable rod, cloak of elvenkind (AD&D), ring of sustenance, winged boots, ring of three wishes, staff of power.

The only interesting artifact I've used is the deck of many things.

outsider

First Post
Dagger. Every edition. Such a versatile weapon. Short/light so you can wield them while grappling. Good for dual wielding. Can be thrown. Easy to hide. Cheap and easily replaceable. Can carry lots of them at once. Fair amount of uses as a non-combat tool. Stylish.

Favorite versions of it would probably be RC with weapon mastery, and 4th edition on a rogue.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Bag of Tricks - 1E
Black Razor - 1E Stormbringer for D&D
Hat of Disguise - 1E
Ring of the Ram -1E, 4E is ok too
Decanter of Endless Water, Boots of the North, Iron Bands of Bilarro, Apparatus of Kwalish,
Iron Flask, Universal solvent, Eversmoking Bottle, Murlynd's Spoon, Figurine of Wondrous Power, especially Ebon Fly, Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone (no need to breathe), and Wand of grease are all great.

I approve this list, and agree, but would add 1e Deck of Many Things and 1e Codex of Infinite Planes.

Scribble

First Post
Bag of Beans 1e/2e (Found an old dragon article that had 101 uses for a bag of beans. It was fun.)

Decanter of Endless water. (1e/2e) Crowd Suppression!!! ;)

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I liked the symbiotic items from 2nd Ed. D&D. I think they came from Dark Sun but *maybe* they were from Planescape. I don't have the books they are found in so I can't look them up to refresh my memory. One that I thought was interesting was a symbiotic creature that you replaced for your eyeball. It functioned just like your regular eye but you could will to extend on a stalk so you could see around corners. It was goofy and not my cup of tea for a Tolkienish D&D campaign but I always enjoyed paging through those items.

(They made I think three of these symbiotic items for 4E but I can't find them in the Compendium. Does anyone know what they are? Thanks!)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I always liked the staff of healing from the BECM game, as well as the humble potion of gaseous form. Oh, and the ring of shooting stars. And the finger nail. And the crystal ball with ESP. And the staff of power. And...and why did I ever stop playing that game?! :)

KesselZero

First Post
Rod of Wonder for fun effects, Deck of Many Things because nobody could ever resist drawing from it, and the +5 Holy Avenger because when I was ten I was convinced it was the BEST magic item in the game.

Remove ads