• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are Your Favorite Out of Print RPGs?

Hussar

Legend
Another vote for Villains and Vigilantes. Lots of fun.

Star Frontiers was a favourite of mine. Probably because of some STELLAR modules that came with the basic set. The Volturnus (sp?) modules were fan freaking tastic. Some of the best modules for any game, ever, IMO.

Didn't like Knight Hawks all that much. Too cumbersome.

I always had a soft spot for the old 007 RPG. Great ideas - Action points that allowed you to change the scene (in a game from the very early 80's no less), and a wound track system that was deadly, but also fun. Rather prefered it to the Top Secret game.

Gangbusters was a fun little game that I'd love to try again. Alas, my friend had the copy and he's long disappeared into the world. :(

sjmiller

Explorer
Another vote for Villains and Vigilantes. Lots of fun.

Ones I keep for nostalgia:

Villains & Vigilantes remains on my shelf after all these years. Just a great 80s superhero RPG. I would still use the random powers tables in other games (especially d20).
Just so you guys know, V&V is not longer out of print. Jeff Dee and Jack Hanson, the creators of V&V, have started a new company to publish V&V again. Monkey House Games has released the new printing of the rules and a module already, with more to come. Lots of the old writers and artists are returning to the game too.

sjmiller

Explorer
I forgot to put in my list. First and foremost on the list would be DragonQuest Second Edition. I still own several copies of it and I am thinking of getting a new local group together to play it.

Top Secret, the original edition. I had a lot of great fun playing this and fighting the cold war. Hated the S/I edition. For me they ruined it with that set.

A bunch of other classic games I used to play are still in print, or at least available from the publisher. Classic Traveller is on CD-ROM or in the big format books. Villains & Vigilantes version 2.1 is now available. Bushido can still be bought from FGU. The Morrow Project was still available last time I checked.

I would play any and all of these in an instant, if I could get a local group to play.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
RuneQuest. (The new one ain't RuneQuest - which was much closer to Basic Role Play.)
Chill.
Bunnies & Burrows. (Combined with the rat things from Call of Cthulhu... we died to a bunny!)
It Came From The Late, Late, Late Show.
For Faerie Queen, & Country.

The Auld Grump

Glyfair

Explorer
Always tricky. For example, I loved RQ for Glorantha, but looking back was not a fan of the system at all.

James Bond RPG - The first RPG that nailed the genre is was supposed to portray. The Q Manual and Thrilling Locations are still two of the best RPG supplements ever.

Prince Valiant - Greg Stafford came up with one of the best absolute beginner RPG system-wise. Unfortunately, it was tied to a very niche license and it didn't get the exposure it deserved.

Dying Earth RPG - Never played it, but really would love to with the right group.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads