• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your favorite RBDM tricks?

mhensley

First Post
What are your evilest ideas for screwing over the players? By the rules of course. One I used recently was putting some rot grub swarms in an area covered by an antimagic field. Make the swarms fiendish to give them fire resistance and they're damn near impossible to kill.

RigaMortus2

First Post
mhensley said:
What are your evilest ideas for screwing over the players? By the rules of course. One I used recently was putting some rot grub swarms in an area covered by an antimagic field. Make the swarms fiendish to give them fire resistance and they're damn near impossible to kill.

Having brown mold be attached to them, then having an enemy wizard teleport them to the Plane of Fire.

mhensley

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Having brown mold be attached to them, then having an enemy wizard teleport them to the Plane of Fire.

Hmm... that makes me wonder why someone hasn't tried that and had the entire plane overrun by brown mold.

mhensley

First Post
Another evil thought I had in a game a couple of weeks ago- have a purple worm attack a pc, swallow him, and then burrow back underground. Unless the pc can teleport, he's doomed. Even if he manages to cut his way out and kills the purple worm single handedly, he's trapped in a small tunnel underground.

Darklone

My favorite RBDM trick? Listen to them. When they are really scared and the discussion runs hot what next evil trick awaits them... Enjoy the ideas, enhance them, exagerate them .... disguise them and use them.

The players will be shocked and motivated because they "have been soooo close!".

mvincent

Explorer
At high levels:
BBEG kidnapped and slew a cherished PC, then dominated various good clerics to resurrect her, only to slay her again (repeated until the soul no longer wished to return due to level loss).

Same BBEG later used multiple limited wishes (in advance of combat) to ensure that each PC failed their saving throw vs. a mind-fog (-10 to Will saves if affected). Then cast disjunction (i.e. make a Will save for each magic item you own or it is destroyed).

0bsolete

First Post
Storme said:
As a DM, my job is not to "Screw over the players." As a Player, I don't play with DM's who think its theirs.... :D

I don't know many DM's who actively try to kill their players. My philosophy is this: I will push my players to the edge. I want at least 1 out of 4 fights to challenge them, pretty hard, but not so that a bit of bad luck will kill them. 1 our of 10 will put them to the test, often times they will have time to prepare, and have hints beforehand. At those points, I take slight mercy on bad luck, but their decisions need to be good and well thought out.

In my games, my goal is to make every player sweat every session, but make sure that they die very rarely, unless they do something so stupid I spit my drink over my DM screen.

Curiously enough, due to my group, I've gone through 3 DM screens after the water stains ruined them.

Remove ads