• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [+] What are your favorite things about 5e?

Imaro

Legend
If there's any more proof that people like to focus on the negative rather than the positive, the "Why does 5e Suck" thread has 130 pages, and this has 5.

Yes but to be fair that thread jumped the shark and hasn't really been about the original title for a while...

I like so much about 5e. It inspires me to create characters and adventures. 4e did inspire me too. You see some similarities between those games. The difference is that now I don't need a character builder, but can create a char in 15 mins.

I guess we don't see so much posts, because forums are heavily biased towards complains. If we are a sample of the population, we can multiply every positive answer by a factor of 10 at least. Content people don't go to a forum to complain.

Hussar

Legend
If there's any more proof that people like to focus on the negative rather than the positive, the "Why does 5e Suck" thread has 130 pages, and this has 5.

To be fair, no one argues that people are wrong for liking something. OTOH, people will spend considerable time telling others that they shouldn't dislike something and that complaints are all in the mind of the complainer.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Spell slots are a resource you spend to cast the spells that are ready to be cast. Very simple, easy to manage, and doesn't require professional-level Plot Sense to prepare for an adventure. Being able to up-cast a spell means you have a lot more spells available to you (e.g. instead of a 2nd level fire damage spell and a 3rd level fire damage spell that you have to have prepared, you just prepare the lower one, which can be cast as 3rd level).

The only thing missing is a conversion rate between spell levels. For instance, if I want to sacrifice a 5th level spell slot, how many lower level spell slots would I get? If it had that, the spell system would be functionally identical to a spell point system.

This. And the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic

Imaro

Legend
To be fair, no one argues that people are wrong for liking something. OTOH, people will spend considerable time telling others that they shouldn't dislike something and that complaints are all in the mind of the complainer.

Or it could be that I purposefully marked this thread as positive...

Hussar

Legend
LOL I thought you just mistyped the title. :D

Learn something new. But, honestly, the reason the thread has stayed positive is because everyone takes other people's point at face value and aren't trying to convince anyone that they'Re wrong for liking something. It does actually help quite a bit when people are willing to address opinions from the position that the opinion is valid, rather than repeatedly trying to convince the opinion holder that his or her opinion is wrong.

Remove ads