• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What awesome thing happened in your game recently?

Nebulous

Legend
In LMoP two events come to mind:

The party convinced Venomfang to annihilate the cultists in a poisonous blast of death and she slowly tortured the last one left alive.

BICDnUI.jpg

The party tricked all of the orcs of Wyvern Tor to drink poisoned beer, then webbed them and burned them and poked them full of holes at their leisure.

uP5AplU.jpg

Shiroiken

Legend
Two Sessions ago:
While exploring the 3rd level of the Temple of Elemental Evil, the party face a pair of Chuul (replacing a monster who wasn't updated). While grappling the Avenger Paladin, the Bard casts Dissonant Whispers on the Chuul, forcing it to use it's reaction to move away from her. The Chuul moved back to it's underwater lair... taking the Paladin with it! Fortunately for him, he was still able to see the small surface entrance and cast Misty Step to teleport back. The Bard was very apologetic :D

Last Session:
I've deleted what I wrote, for two reasons. One of my players sometimes checks out this forum, and I don't want to spoil anything. Also, I don't know how to hide spoilers yet, so I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else either. All I can say is that they found the hidden shrine to Pholtus and the hidden crypt :)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
In our latest 5E session, we finally found the Temple of the Frog and fought our way in to attempt to stop the nefarious ritual in progress. After many setbacks, we entered the temple proper and hacked and slashed our way to the altar. The swashbuckling duelist romantic fighter lead the charge, cutting viciously through foe after foe while my character lurked behind, lobbing energy blasts without risking his own hide.

Finally, the duelist punched through the enemy minions' lines. He ran without a thought for his own safety (provoking several AoO's)and leapt over the horde of oozing frogs to save the helpless female victim from being stabbed to complete the ritual. He reached to grab her away from the evil lieutenant before the knife plunged down.

Instead, he flubbed his Acrobatics roll and pulled the woman down into the slimy frogs--a "success with a complication" if ever there was one.

My character rushed in and rescued the damsel in distress just as she awoke. I gave her a winning smile as her eyes fluttered open. "My hero," she said to me--and the duelist cried out in existential agony "Nooooooooooooooo!!!"

Well, I thought it was awesome.
evil3.gif

Tommy Brownell

First Post
Waterdeep was completely and utterly sacked by Chromatic Dragons just as the PCs completed a 40 day trek back after helping the Cloud Giant make off with the hoard at the end of The Hoard of the Dragon Queen. Blackstaff Tower has been demolished, whole city blocks have sunken into Undermountain and the City of the Dead has been laid wide open.

Let The Rise of Tiamat begin.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Background: The party recently assassinated a Hierarch of the Horned Society. This event lead to a power vacuum in the western Fellreev Forest that Iuz was ready to fill. In order to avoid fighting a two-fronted war, the party decided to travel to Eru-Tovar to enlist the support of the Khans of the Wolf Nomads. The party reasoned that if the Wolf Nomads assaulted Iuz's northern and western borders, then Iuz would be unable to take advantage of the PCs' continued harassment of the Hierarchs.

Session: The scene in Eru-Tovar was chaotic. Winter was giving way to spring and the tribes were growing restless from their long winter slumber. The PCs decided to take a dual approach to convincing the nomads to assault Iuz. The barbarian and the bard were going to mingle amongst the masses and attempt to create a groundswell of support for assaulting Iuz, while the cleric, paladin, and wizard were going to meet directly with the numerous khans and, most importantly, the Tarkhan.

While mingling amongst the masses and telling tales of Iuz's minions desecrating the burial sites of the nomad's honored dead, the barbarian and bard came across an agent of Kermin Mind-Bender (Kermin is one of Iuz's most powerful servants). After a brief combat, the two PCs captured the agent only to realize that the horde wants blood and wants it now. Assuming that the rest of the party would like to interrogate the agent, the barbarian and bard began trying to calm the masses. Some parts of the horde then accused them of being servants of Iuz!

Meanwhile, the cleric, paladin, and wizard assemble the khans and layout their proposal. What they discover is that the khans are anything but a united front. Rivalries between the khans must be alleviated and just when one set of rivals is quelled another set erupts! After a long and tense negotiation, the PCs finally achieve an agreement that the khans will raid Iuz this summer. It was at this moment that the negotiations were interrupted with word that minions of Iuz have been discovered in the city. The three PCs head out to investigate and discover their two companions, holding onto some other individual, and surrounded by the sword-wielding masses.

It was here that I ended the session. With a fragile agreement and an angry mob! We'll see what happens next month.

Ricochet

Explorer
Pathfinder, I'm the GM. 1½ years of playing a large portion of a bi-weekly campaign just wrapped up with the group's first true dragon showdown (a great wyrm). After defeating three liches, the group came out of a cave having spent quite a few resources but ready to face the dragon. The dragon predictably shot breath weapon into the cave before the group got out, but lingered in the cave opening in order to smack the group's front-line people around a bit. I opted for an attack and a move, opening it up for two attacks of opportunity in an arrogant manner. Well, our fighter rolled a 20, and then confirmed it with another 20. We have a house rule: 2 x 20 = possibility for a lethal blow if a THIRD roll confirms the hit once more. Well, he rolled a 19 and the dragon died. Turns out they needed the beast alive though, so his epic jubilations was quickly brought down to earth, and he had to use a Hero Point (very rarely obtainable points I give out that allow rerolls) to try and force a MISS on that final blow. He missed, and the dragon was merely knocked out instead of being outright killed.

It was a great session all in all, and holy crap can a group of 18th level characters be unstoppable! After the three liches (one a 20th level caster) encounter, our druid asked if anyone needed healing, but everyone was good to go since the cleric used "Mass Heal" during the battle (which also took out one of the lesser liches).

Updated with more info about the circumstances: The short version is: The dragon was a silver dragon - the king of dragons, in fact - which had been possessed by an evil bastard. Dragons vanished from the players' own world a long time ago, so they are in this parallel world to save the last echoes of the great creatures, and hope to bring the last dragons back over to their own native world in order to stop an even bigger threat. Finding the last dragons, sheltered by failing magics, has been the main plot of the last 1½ years playtime, and for the groups level 15-18 efforts. Having finally found them, they had to strike a deal with an evil bastard (immortal lichlike archwizard) in order to cleanse them of the disease HE inflicted the dragons with initially, or they would die the instant they left their stasis-like chamber.

Only six dragons yet live in this altered world they are in, and although they could bring less than all six over, they wanted them all. So they struck a deal with the bad guy, and he got control of one of the dragons for the life of the others. The group wanted to undo the damage, which was why they needed the dragon downed but not dead in order to "excorcise" the evil bastard from it. They had to do so by alchemically infusing it with the blood of the evil bastard's own kin in order to break the link (since he was a bloodmage and had tainted his own blood, the "pure" bloodline of his own would effectively kill him). His kin was an ally of the party, who sacrificed herself in order to finally kill the evil bastard once the dragon was unconscious (yet another note: she had turned on the party at one point in dramatic revelation fashion, but turned back to the good guys through their valiant efforts in the fight with the liches - for once seeing reason winning out over wanton desires of vengeance).

So they saved the dragon and killed the evil bastard, and are now inbound to their own world with all six dragons as allies for the final part of the campaign. They brought the woman who sacrificed herself with them too, planning to ressurrect her if possible.

I hope it doesn't read completely like a mess. I omitted a lot of detail, but the story is actually quite engrossing (or so my players tell me).

I am closing shop on the campaign soon, but it's also been going since the summer of 2008. :)

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Turns out they needed the beast alive though,
Why?

so his epic jubilations was quickly brought down to earth, and he had to use a Hero Point (very rarely obtainable points I give out that allow rerolls) to try and force a MISS on that final blow. He missed, and the dragon was merely knocked out instead of being outright killed.
Nice. Your players will always remember the day they had to spend a hero point to avoid killing a dragon.
win.gif

Ricochet

Explorer
Why?

Nice. Your players will always remember the day they had to spend a hero point to avoid killing a dragon.
win.gif

This is a follow up, which I edited into the original post afterwards for clarity. :)

A very long story, but the short version is: The dragon was a silver dragon - the king of dragons, in fact - which had been possessed by an evil bastard. Dragons vanished from the players' own world a long time ago, so they are in this parallel world to save the last echoes of the great creatures, and hope to bring the last dragons back over to their own native world in order to stop an even bigger threat. Finding the last dragons, sheltered by failing magics, has been the main plot of the last 1½ years playtime, and for the groups level 15-18 efforts. Having finally found them, they had to strike a deal with an evil bastard (immortal lichlike archwizard) in order to cleanse them of the disease HE inflicted the dragons with initially, or they would die the instant they left their stasis-like chamber.

Only six dragons yet live in this altered world they are in, and although they could bring less than all six over, they wanted them all. So they struck a deal with the bad guy, and he got control of one of the dragons for the life of the others. The group wanted to undo the damage, which was why they needed the dragon downed but not dead in order to "excorcise" the evil bastard from it. They had to do so by alchemically infusing it with the blood of the evil bastard's own kin in order to break the link (since he was a bloodmage and had tainted his own blood, the "pure" bloodline of his own would effectively kill him). His kin was an ally of the party, who sacrificed herself in order to finally kill the evil bastard once the dragon was unconscious (yet another note: she had turned on the party at one point in dramatic revelation fashion, but turned back to the good guys through their valiant efforts in the fight with the liches - for once seeing reason winning out over wanton desires of vengeance).

So they saved the dragon and killed the evil bastard, and are now inbound to their own world with all six dragons as allies for the final part of the campaign. They brought the woman who sacrificed herself with them too, planning to ressurrect her if possible.

I hope it doesn't read completely like a mess. I omitted a lot of detail, but the story is actually quite engrossing (or so my players tell me).

I am closing shop on the campaign soon, but it's also been going since the summer of 2008. :)

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
Well, he rolled a 19 and the dragon died. Turns out they needed the beast alive though, so his epic jubilations was quickly brought down to earth, and he had to use a Hero Point (very rarely obtainable points I give out that allow rerolls) to try and force a MISS on that final blow. He missed, and the dragon was merely knocked out instead of being outright killed.
Ha! Hero points indeed!

Valus

First Post
HA! Good call deleting that spoiler, Shiroiken. It's me, the Vengeance Paladin from the first story, and I happened to search for your posts this afternoon while waiting for code to compile.

Two Sessions ago:
While exploring the 3rd level of the Temple of Elemental Evil, the party face a pair of Chuul (replacing a monster who wasn't updated). While grappling the Avenger Paladin, the Bard casts Dissonant Whispers on the Chuul, forcing it to use it's reaction to move away from her. The Chuul moved back to it's underwater lair... taking the Paladin with it! Fortunately for him, he was still able to see the small surface entrance and cast Misty Step to teleport back. The Bard was very apologetic :D

Last Session:
I've deleted what I wrote, for two reasons. One of my players sometimes checks out this forum, and I don't want to spoil anything. Also, I don't know how to hide spoilers yet, so I don't want to spoil anything for anyone else either. All I can say is that they found the hidden shrine to Pholtus and the hidden crypt :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads