• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What benefit is there for a smart/careful 3pp to use the GSL?

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
Looking at what Kenzer is doing with their kalamar setting, I really can't see the downside, if one is careful, with skirting the GSL altogether. Using Kenzer as an example, 3pps could support 4e while at the same time keeping ultimate control of their IP if and when WoTC decides to change the parameters of the GSL.

The announcement of Kenzer supporting 4e is IMO a great thing for folks, like myself, who are developing our own IPs and wouldn't be averse to supporting 4e so long as we can create materials using the same IP for other OGL systems. I would never knowingly sign onto the GSL, as it currently stands, with a flagship product that would need to be mothballed at WoTC's sayso should WoTC choose to revoke the GSL for whatever reason.

Wyrmshadows

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
WoTC can't really mothball your IP.

The GSL only gives them control over your use of the OGL, not your IP.

Fair enough, but because my favorite rulesets are True20, Conan D20 and, what I have seen so far, Pathfinder. The very idea that I could never develop my IP for any of these concurrently (which I most certainly intend to do for True20 and Pathfinder) with 4e is something I cannot even begin to consider. The "never go back to the OGL" clause is a dealbreaker for me.

Wyrmshadows

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
No, it doesn't even give them that. As they are so keen on saying, the GSL and OGL have nothing to do with each other. You use one or the other.

Unfortunately, not only can you use only either the OGL or the GSL at any given time for a product line, you can never go back to the OGL if for whatever reason you might have wanted to in the future.

Poison pill thy name is GSL.

Wyrmshadows

hong

WotC's bitch
Eh, this would not be a problem if you realised that the path to happiness is being paid in ego bucks, not real bucks.

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
Eh, this would not be a problem if you realised that the path to happiness is being paid in ego bucks, not real bucks.

Nah, the path to happiness is in the pleasure of creating a product that is the manifestation of a creative endeavor that began around 15yrs ago and having the opportuniy to present this product to the RPing community in a fashion that allows me, and me alone, final creative control of the product.

And the path to happiness lies in supporting the OGL that is the permanent and perpetual property of the fans....sublime happiness. :)

PS. Thank you very much Ryan Dancy and the old guard of WoTC that brought us the OGL.

Wyrmshadows

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
You can present your product to the RPing community very easily. Just put it on a website somewhere.

See my sig for examples.

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
You can present your product to the RPing community very easily. Just put it on a website somewhere.

See my sig for examples.

I am speaking of 3pp publishing on this thread and you know that. This isn't about fan sites and I would prefer this thread not be derailed onto that topic.

Wyrmshadows

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads