What book would you like to see become a movie/mini-series?

Ryujin

Legend
A proper Neuromancer adaptation would be amazing. That being said, I wonder if the time for it has passed. If it would suffer the same fate as John Carter, where the source of so many sci-fi tropes looked derivative because of all the movies that had come out drawing inspiration from it.

At the same time, a lot of the deeper messages and themes are more relevant than ever, so maybe not?
I'd be happy just to get a faithful "Johnny Mnemonic" movie. "Killed by culture shock" is just too good to not make it to film.

EDIT - I just mentioned the "Warlord of Mars" thing on a Facebook geek forum, this morning.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'd be happy just to get a faithful "Johnny Mnemonic" movie. "Killed by culture shock" is just too good to not make it to film.

EDIT - I just mentioned the "Warlord of Mars" thing on a Facebook geek forum, this morning.
Never heard of it. Who is the author?

Yeah, though I still love the "I WANT ROOM SERVICE!" monologue of the movie. It's so perfectly absurd and vapid.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
A proper Neuromancer adaptation would be amazing. That being said, I wonder if the time for it has passed. If it would suffer the same fate as John Carter, where the source of so many sci-fi tropes looked derivative because of all the movies that had come out drawing inspiration from it.

At the same time, a lot of the deeper messages and themes are more relevant than ever, so maybe not?
I agree that a lot of the messages are more relevant than ever. But sadly you are probably right, the og cyberpunk is a passé genre to investors and a younger audience.

But I still want it, darnit, even if I reluctantly accept that Johnny Mnemonic is the best we will get from older Gibson material.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Larry Niven’s & Steven Barnes’ Dream Park novels would be good.

Niven also has a bunch of stories and novels in his Known Universe setting that could easily support a sprawling series.

TheHand

Adventurer
I saw it got mentioned earlier, but I'm casting another vote for Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber as a short series. I think Streaming is the perfect venue for it, and the technology is there to do some of the more fantastic sequences.

Other positives for Streaming: Good mix of lower budget scenes (such as those on 'modern' Earth) that break up the medieval wars and reality shifting 'hell rides'; potential for a great ensemble cast in which the audience will be constantly guessing is trustworthy; speaking of whom, lots of gray-area motivations for the protagonists; and a pretty satisfying conclusion at the end!

Of course, following current trends, if it were to happen, we'd get a great season 1 very faithful to the series. Season 2 would try to adapt the more complicated/less crowd pleasing "Merlin" books, and then with the premature passing of Zelazny, the writers would fumble around trying to make up a Season 3. But if prediction 1 were met, I'd still take it! :LOL:

Remove ads