• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What can you tell me about living in/around Baltimore?

Pbartender

First Post
I've a good friend who lives over in Towson, MD. He plays a good game of D&D, and is a Lutheran pastor for the church that Sid Meier (Civilization!) attends.

Haven't talked to him in a while... I'll have to see if I can dig up his email address.

cuteasaurus

First Post
I hope things go well for you, and as previously stated, if you need help "navigating' Baltimore, let us know. (I know I certainly had a time of it a year and a half ago.)

Xath

Moder-gator
One thing I forgot. If you're going to go into the city, make sure you get directions for going into AND for going out of the city. You cannot reverse your directions in Baltimore because downtown is made up of entirely too many one way streets.

When I first got my liscense, I ended up taking a 2 hour scenic tour of the less pleasant districts during my first independent jaunt of the town.

Xath makes a good point about the roads in B'more. They are intersecting one-way streets, not true roads. So, parking is also a nightmare, if you want to go somewhere, you may have to find it, find a parking space and then back track on foot to get there. If you plan on being in the city, you just want to invest in a transit pass. The lightrail and busses aren;t as good as the ones in Europe, but they are better than some cities I've visited.

As for the outlying communities, Columbia is nice and Catonsville is top notch. If you have the extra money Ellicott City is a good investment, too. If you want urban but not live in the city Dundalk, Glen Burnie or parts of Severn are the way to go, of course you'll need a car if you live in any of these places. I live on Pioneer Drive in Severn, it has a pretty nasty reputation, but it isn't really that bad, just keep your head down and you won't get shot. The bright side is I pay $800 a month in rent for a three-bedroom townhouse. Marylander's are notorious for the "optional turn signal package" on their vehicles. And when you go to get your license, the MVA is about a 4 hour trip on most days (weekdays in the morning are the best time to go). If you have patience, you'll do fine, if not, take a sedative...

As rude and obnoxious as most people make it sound, for the most part, the people are pretty good eggs for city folk. B'more has a lot in common with St. Louis (a city way too close to my old hometown) and is actually kind of nice to be around,once you get used to it. It isn't heaven, but then no place is, but I've been to much, much worse. Keep us up to date, we'll leave the harbor lights on for ya'. ;)

Wasteland Knight said:
Thanks for the reply!

Any reccomendations for outlying communities?

If you have kids or you plan on buying a house, you want to live in Pasadena. Also, you could totally join our weekly game which is in Columbia (about halfway between DC and Baltimore).

Last edited:

diaglo said:
ditto.

my elderly parents still live in Severn. and two of my sisters also still live in MD.

diaglo "who got to maryland b/c my dad retired from the USAF at Fort Meade" Ooi

I got out of the Army at Ft. Meade ( I wasn't in quite 20 years before I got out :)

I still work in the area IF ya know what I mean.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
There is a lot of fun nightlife in the Charm City.

Pity you can't park anywhere near it.

The old canning district is now much nicer and they have a waterbus to Fell's Point. If you're single and want to live in the city, I'd look at that.

If you're handy with tools, there are plenty of row houses that you could probably buy for $30,000 and re-sell for $75,000 - $100,000 after you're done. You'd have to live in a so-so area though. Butcher's Hill comes to mind.

Just a thought.

diaglo

Adventurer
Peter said:
I still work in the area IF ya know what I mean.

of course.

National Security Agency. NSA.

i watched it go from a few beat up buiildings to the monstrosity it is. spent many days near SAAB4. in fact, i helped build some of it.

worked for Office Movers and E.I.Kane moving furniture and building modular furniture while going to school.

also worked in the Pentagon, down at Langley, and many many other government buildings in DC.

cuteasaurus

First Post
diaglo said:
of course.

National Security Agency. NSA.

i watched it go from a few beat up buiildings to the monstrosity it is. spent many days near SAAB4. in fact, i helped build some of it.

worked for Office Movers and E.I.Kane moving furniture and building modular furniture while going to school.

also worked in the Pentagon, down at Langley, and many many other government buildings in DC.

diaglo- You get cooler and cooler all the time. ;)

Remove ads