• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What changes were made from 3E to 3.5 ?

Sqwonk

First Post
As I look at the changes for 4E (snippets that we get anyway) I am trying to recall the things that changed from 3 to 3.5.

1. Changes to many spells
2. Damage Reduction
3. Weapon Size / and damage
4. Base size ie large = 10 ft base

Was that it?

Xath

Moder-gator
The bard and ranger classes changed considerably. Dwarves gained some new racial abilities, and certain spellcasting classes gained the ability to wear light armor.

To name a few.

kenobi65

First Post
A few other that come to mind:

- Consolidation of the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting Feats
- Power Attack giving a 2-for-1 trade with a two-handed weapon
- Favored class for gnome changed from illusionist to bard

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
evildmguy said:
I think some skills were consolodated as well but don't know them off hand.

edg
Animal Empathy turned into a class-specific use of Diplomacy (boo!), and Intuit Direction got folded into Survival (yay!). Everything I remember off-hand about skills.

Last edited:

werk

First Post
The big change I noticed was that classes became less 'front-loaded' so a single level dip wouldn't over-reward the character for his diversity.

You said a lot of spells were revised, and haste was the one our group noticed most.

kenobi65

First Post
werk said:
You said a lot of spells were revised, and haste was the one our group noticed most.

Yeah, there was the "H nerf" (haste, harm, hold person).

The stat-boost-bump spells (Bull's Strength, etc.) had their duration dropped from 1 hour/level to 1 minute/level, because the designers decided that too many higher-level PCs were just casting these as all-day buffs, rather than spending GP on stat-boost items. Also, the boost from those spells went from 1d4+1 to a straight +4.

evildmguy

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
Yeah, there was the "H nerf" (haste, harm, hold person).

The stat-boost-bump spells (Bull's Strength, etc.) had their duration dropped from 1 hour/level to 1 minute/level, because the designers decided that too many higher-level PCs were just casting these as all-day buffs, rather than spending GP on stat-boost items. Also, the boost from those spells went from 1d4+1 to a straight +4.

As was recently pointed out to me, there is a bigger effect to the buff spells to be a straight +4. When it's a die effect, it can be maximized and empowered. If it's just a number, it can't be.

I don't know if there are other places with this kind of effect.

edg

The_Gneech

Explorer
Barbarians rearranged a bit to give them fewer "empty levels" also.

Power attack modified for two-handed wielders.

Alchemy skill removed.

Those are the ones I remember offhand that haven't been mentioned.

-The Gneech :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads