• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What changes when you adjust a monster's level up or down?

NewJeffCT

First Post
This is spelled out in the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the updated version is in the tables on page 40 of this document.

In a nutshell, when you change a monster's level by 1 (up or down), the following things change:

• All defenses change by 1
  • Attack bonuses change by 1
  • Damage changes by 1/2 (1 for every 2 levels)
  • Initiative changes by 1/2
  • Skill checks change by 1/2 (Perception, Stealth, etc.)
  • Hit points change by 6 for Artillery and Lurkers, 8 for Skirmishers, Soldiers and Controllers, and 10 for Brutes

Because I have a larger group, I have often had to bump up monsters a few levels to make them more of a challenge. However, at what point do you add a new encounter type power? If you take a level 5 Solo & bump it to level 7, does it also get a new encounter power, or do you just up the damage iteration only? Or, maybe improve its recharge?

Thanks

OnlineDM

Adventurer
If it's just a couple of levels, I wouldn't change anything except the numbers. 3 or more levels is when I start to look for a different monster of the level I want as a guideline.

If you have a 5th level monster and you want to change it into a 9th level version, I'd suggest looking at a similar 9th level monster (same role, maybe similar keywords) and see how your leveled-up monster would compare to the native 9th level monster. If your leveled-up guy would look underpowered, it's time to think about stealing a more potent power from the 9th level guy (reskinned and reflavored as you see fit).

Keep in mind that DMing is still an art, not a pure science. The numbers are good guidelines, but they're not the whole enchilada.

CovertOps

First Post
Because I have a larger group, I have often had to bump up monsters a few levels to make them more of a challenge. However, at what point do you add a new encounter type power? If you take a level 5 Solo & bump it to level 7, does it also get a new encounter power, or do you just up the damage iteration only? Or, maybe improve its recharge?

Thanks

Larger groups are a whole different problem unto themselves. I have a larger group and I subscribe to Stalker0's encounter design theories/guidelines. Never use creatures more than +/- 2 levels of the party. When I build my encounters I only decide what creature type(s) I'm going to use. Then on game night I pick a quantity of those creatures based on how many players show up. Quick XP values for level 1-5 (standard creatures only):
1: 100
2: 125
3: 150
4: 175
5: 200

Since standard creatures have the same value as a PC of equal level then if you have a party of 7 level 1 PCs you have an encounter budget of anywhere from 7 * 100 (level "n") to 7 * 200 (level "n + 4") or 700 - 1400 depending on how hard you want the encounter to be. While you could use 5 level 5 critters for 1000 xp and be in the right range, your PCs will be missing frequently (defenses on critters will be 4 points higher at level 5 compared to your PCs chances to hit so they will all be hitting 20% less often). The fight will be tough, but feel grindy and that's bad encounter design IMO. You'd be much better off with 10 level 1 critters for 1000 XP or if that's too many swap in a few elites (1 elite = 2 standard) to reduce the number of minis on the board.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Thanks CovertOps - I was not clear with my above post. I had meant more for a Solo encounter. I ran a test encounter before we started the current campaign and the players at level 1 easily beat a level 2 Solo, and the damage the solo dished out was not a threat at all to the party (this was 10 months ago or so... before MM3 upped the damage). The party was at level 3 when the adventure I was running called for them to face off with a level 4 Solo. However, I bumped up the level 4 solo to a level 5 and also gave it a skirmisher ally to function as a flanker and it worked out as a much better "showdown" encounter. I'm pretty sure if six PCs (including 2 strikers) could focus their entire arsenal on one bad guy, they'd take him down in a round to a round & a half.

Similarly, when they were at level 4 and they had a showdown with a level 5 solo, I bumped the solo up a level to six, and then bumped up their next level 5 solo to a 7. (there were other non solos in between, where I can just add an additional bad guy or two to up the encounter level)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads