• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What character(s) do you want to play?

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
There's been a couple threads with people asking about help with a character concept that I found really interesting that made me kinda want a thread with a bunch of them. Hence, this thread.

I'll probably never get to play 90% of the ideas I have, but it'd still be interesting to see what other people came up with.

I'm going to put mine in [sblocks] to keep the thread from getting to cluttered.

Feel free to put characters you're wanting to play or characters you are currently playing. It would be neat to see what sort of gear, feat, and power choices people make for difference classes, to see how characters organically grown through play instead of CharOptimized-ideals (plus fluff, tactics, story stuff maybe too).

[sblock=My current (on hiatus) character, Logan Banner, Elf Ranger/Stormwarden/Undying Warrior 21]
[sblock=Idea]Logan was my first 4e character, back when we rolled stats(for the last time ever) - hence the -27 point buy stats. He's pretty much as Op a Frost-Cheesed auto-damage character as I could make him and he's damn good at his job.

He does 32 damage just for walking up to somebody and waving his swords at them, plus 8 damage to the guy's friend. I've dished out 50-60 damage a round for most of a fight using just Twin-Strike, and that's without playing him at epic. We haven't set our Epic Destinies in stone, but I'm thinking Undying Warrior since I've chronically run out of surges with him throughout the levels(especially Paragon).

Story-wise, he's a cocky, womanizing, lean-mean killing machine, bastard son of the King of Blades, one of the four Arcana who were in charge of keeping the Material Plane safe. Of course, 20 levels later, he now IS the King of Blades, his father passing the title on to him to literally keep Logan's inner demon at bay.[/sblock]
[sblock=CB Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Logan Banner, level 21
Elf, Ranger, Stormwarden, Undying Warrior
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Ranger: Prime Shot

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 14, Dex 26, Int 12, Wis 19, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 10.

AC: 34 Fort: 33 Reflex: 33 Will: 34
HP: 141 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 35

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +21, Perception +21, Stealth +22, Acrobatics +22, Athletics +21, Streetwise +16, Endurance +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +14, Heal +14, History +11, Insight +14, Intimidate +11, Religion +11, Thievery +17

FEATS
Level 1: Quick Draw
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Wintertouched
Level 10: Elven Precision (retrained to Epic Will at Level 21)
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Scimitar Dance
Level 14: Lethal Hunter
Level 16: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 18: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 20: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 21: Heavy Blade Mastery

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Careful Attack
Ranger encounter 1: Dire Wolverine Strike
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
Ranger utility 6: Weave Through the Fray
Ranger encounter 7: Lashing Leaves
Ranger daily 9: Passing Ambush
Ranger utility 10: Agile Recovery
Ranger encounter 13: Armor Splinter (replaces Dire Wolverine Strike)
Ranger daily 15: Blade Cascade (replaces Jaws of the Wolf)
Ranger utility 16: Ranger's Parry
Ranger encounter 17: Untamed Outburst (replaces Lashing Leaves)
Ranger daily 19: Cruel Cage of Steel (replaces Passing Ambush)

ITEMS
Magic Longbow +1, Frost Scimitar +3, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (2), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Frost Scimitar +4, Circlet of Indomitability (paragon tier), Gauntlets of Destruction (paragon tier), Amulet of Protection +4, Displacer Earthhide Armor +3, Eager Hero's Tattoo (heroic tier), Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier), Boots of Eagerness (heroic tier), Ruby Scabbard (heroic tier), Timeless Locket +4, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock]
[/sblock]

[sblock=My current L4W character, Dante, Ranger 1][sblock=Idea]Dante was a slave assassin for a Devil, used to take out targets in the Material Plane where a devil raise suspicions. On a failed assassination attempt, his magical slave collar was broken, leaving Dante and his devil-lizard companion free to roam the material plane.

Dante is a byproduct of 3 main things:
1) I started reading the Divine Comedy and decided to make a character escaped from hell
2) I found a badass picture of a guy with a spiked chain
3) I wanted to try the Spiked Chain/Beast Protector combo: Stand behind your beast attacking stuff with a spiked chain, getting free OAs on them if they attack your pet. Eventually upgrade to a Farbond Spellblade Spiked Chain so you can use Throw and Stab/Marauders Rush or Twin Strike...

He's also 3 points over point buy, since that's what you get in L4W PbP.[/sblock][sblock=CB Summary]Dante, level 1
Human, Ranger
Fighting Style: Beast Mastery
Beast Companion Type: Lizard
Background: Occupation - Foe Killer (Learn Supernal)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 15 Will: 13
HP: 22 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +7, Nature +7, Athletics +8, Acrobatics +7, Perception +7, Stealth +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Endurance -1, Heal +2, History, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Religion, Streetwise -1, Thievery +2

FEATS
Human: Beast Protector
Level 1: Spiked Chain Training

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Marauder's Rush
Ranger at-will 1: Throw and Stab
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Off-Hand Strike
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf

ITEMS
Spiked chain, Hide Armor, Handaxe (4), Adventurer's Kit
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Potential second L4W character: Ser Exixtan, Warforged Fighter 1][sblock=Idea]I also found a cool picture for this guy and photoshopped it to how I wanted it.

He was Combat Medic Construct X610 sent out to patch up/stabilize wounded men and carry them back to the clerical tents for the Crimson Cross, a specialized healing unit sent out with the Imperium's armies.

In combat, he was struck in the head by a blow that scrambled his programming, leaving him to believe that he is Sir Exixtan, wandering hero of the Red Plus Order set out to save damsels and fight dragons in true heroic fashion. Unfortunately, his initial design didn't leave him much in the way of fanciful language, so he gets by with things like:

"Decrease not thy linear proximity, pyromantic aerial demi-lizard for Sir Exixtan's directives doth not preclude the intersection of cerebrum with the narrow-edged cleaving device [of Justice!] currently gripped in my raised appendage."

Mechanically, his accuracy, Reflex and Will aren't great, but I figure he makes up for it in temp-hp staying power and decent damage, using Crushing Surge for temps and Brash Strike when full on temps for increased accuracy and damage.[/sblock][sblock=CB Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sir Exixtan, level 1
Warforged, Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor
Background: Crusading Zealot (Crusading Zealot Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
HP: 33 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +6, Heal +7, Athletics +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, History, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion, Stealth -2, Streetwise -1, Thievery -2

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Waraxe)

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Crushing Surge
Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace

ITEMS
Chainmail, Heavy Shield, Waraxe
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=The Duelist, Githzerai Avenger|Swordmage 10][sblock=Idea]The idea with this guy is a single-target lockdown. Throw Aegis and Oath on your target and use an array of Avenger powers to keep others from joining in your "duel" and Swordmage powers to punish him if he goes for anyone but you. It also gives a nice combo of MBA-replacement Overwhelming Strike with the ever-popular Sword Burst for at wills...

Not a huge fan of the 9-point discrepancy between AC and Fort since I prefer balanced defenses (see Logan above), but the idea seemed kinda neat.[/sblock][sblock=CB Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sword-Avenger, level 10
Githzerai, Avenger|Swordmage
Hybrid Avenger: Hybrid Avenger Fortitude
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Hybrid Talent: Armor of Faith
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 11, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 28 Fort: 19 Reflex: 22 Will: 24
HP: 88 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +13, Insight +16, Perception +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +10, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +6, Heal +10, History +10, Intimidate +4, Nature +10, Religion +10, Stealth +5, Streetwise +4, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Githzerai Blade Master
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Power of Skill
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: White Lotus Riposte
Level 10: Avenging Resolution

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Sword Burst
Hybrid at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Avenging Echo
Hybrid daily 1: Aspect of Might
Hybrid utility 2: Host of Shields
Hybrid encounter 3: Blastback Swipe
Hybrid daily 5: Dimensional Bond
Hybrid utility 6: Fortifying Chant
Hybrid encounter 7: Inexorable Pursuit
Hybrid daily 9: Arcane Deflection
Hybrid utility 10: Channel Endurance

ITEMS
Summoned Githweave Armor +3, Amulet of Life +2, Viper Belt (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Master's Blade Fullblade +2
[/sblock][/sblock]

What characters are you playing and/or looking forward to playing?

Last edited:

The Weregamer

First Post
I'm currently fascinated with the idea of a Changeling Hybrid Rogue/Druid so that I can play a true shapechanger. Not optimized at all, really, but it sure sounds like a lot of fun to me. Trouble would be in convincing the DM to allow the Alter Self power to affect clothing. Doesn't make sense that the clothing changes when you become an animal, but not when you become a different person. I don't think it would be game-breaking to allow it to affect non-magical, non-armor clothing.

yesnomu

First Post
Right now I'd like to try out a (houseruled) Fightbrain, or a (possibly Int-based variant) Runepriest.

I'd also like to take my Shielding Swordmage out of mothballs, and possibly get her to Paragon. She looks like this at 3:
[sblock]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Althaea, level 3
Eladrin, Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding
Background: Birth - On Another Plane (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 43 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +10, Arcana +14, Insight +7, Diplomacy +5, History +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +4, Heal +2, Intimidate, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise, Thievery +2, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte

POWERS
Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage at-will 1: Booming Blade
Swordmage encounter 1: Sword of Sigils
Swordmage daily 1: Sweeping Frostblade
Swordmage utility 2: Channeling Shield
Swordmage encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex

ITEMS
Longsword, Adventurer's Kit, Bottle of Wine, Footpads, Magic Longsword +2, Leather Armor of Aegis Expansion +1, Amulet of Physical Resolve +1, Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock]

Here're the two characters I'm playing now, a summoner druid and dwarven bear shaman:
[sblock="Summoner Druid. Races were restricted."]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mariko, level 15
Longtooth Shifter, Druid, Primal Summoner
Primal Aspect: Primal Predator
Background: Birth - Omen (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 14, Dex 20, Int 11, Wis 22, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 31 Fort: 25 Reflex: 29 Will: 30
HP: 96 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +18, Insight +18, Arcana +14, Perception +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +10, Heal +13, History +7, Intimidate +6, Religion +7, Stealth +11, Streetwise +6, Thievery +11, Athletics +10

FEATS
Druid: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Strong-Willed Summoning
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 4: Spirit Talker
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Staff)
Level 8: Shield Proficiency (Light)
Level 10: Quick Stow (retrained to Quick Wild Shape at Level 11)
Level 11: Pouncing Form
Level 12: Stalking Panther Form
Level 14: Paragon Defenses

POWERS
Druid at-will 1: Fire Hawk
Druid at-will 1: Grasping Tide (Druid)
Druid at-will 1: Savage Rend
Spirit Talker: Spirit's Prey
Druid encounter 1: Thorn Spray
Druid daily 1: Summon Giant Toad
Druid utility 2: Verdant Bounty
Druid encounter 3: Predator's Flurry
Druid daily 5: Summon Guard Drake
Druid utility 6: Camouflage Cloak
Druid encounter 7: Latch On
Druid daily 9: Summon Crocodile
Druid utility 10: Animal Clan
Druid encounter 13: Claws of Retribution (replaces Latch On)
Druid daily 15: Summon Great Eagle (replaces Summon Guard Drake)

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Claw Gloves (heroic tier), Reading Spectacles (heroic tier), Phylactery of Action (heroic tier), Oil of Flesh Returned (heroic tier), Light Shield, Siberys Shard of the Mage (heroic tier), Salve of Power (heroic tier), Ring of Many Forms (paragon tier), Bag of Holding (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Belt of Vim (heroic tier), Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier), Roc Darkhide Armor +4, Summoner's Accurate staff +3, Amulet of Protection +4
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Comprehend Language, Linked Portal, Inquisitive's Eyes, Transfer Enchantment, Sending
She's a lot of fun, predator druids are ridiculously mobile, and having a summon out in most every encounter gives me pretty decent damage as well. (Having a DM who allows me to use the unerrata'd salve of power and lets shields work in beast form helps too.)
[sblock="Bear Shaman"]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Durin, level 12
Dwarf, Shaman, Spirit Tempest
Companion Spirit: Protector Spirit

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 21, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 21, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 27 Fort: 25 Reflex: 20 Will: 25
HP: 88 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +16, Arcana +12, Insight +16, Perception +16, Religion +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +12, Heal +11, History +7, Intimidate +5, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Chainmail)
Level 2: Implement Expertise (Totem)
Level 4: Vigorous Spirit
Level 6: Protector Spirit Adept (retrained to Dwarven Durability at Level 11)
Level 8: Soldier of Virtue
Level 10: Strengthening Spirit
Level 11: Nimble Spirit
Level 12: Untiring Virtue

POWERS
Shaman at-will 1: Spirit of the Tempest
Shaman encounter 1: Twin Panthers
Shaman daily 1: Blessing of the Seven Winds
Shaman utility 2: Spirits of Battle
Shaman encounter 3: Capturing Jaws
Shaman daily 5: War Chieftain's Blessing
Shaman utility 6: Sudden Restoration
Shaman encounter 7: Spirit of Weakness
Shaman daily 9: Raging Storm Spirit
Shaman utility 10: Spirit Summons

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Totem, Magic Totem +2, Healer's Brooch +2, Shared Valor Braidmail Armor +3, Mace of Healing +2, Magic Totem +3, Couters of Second Chances (heroic tier), Circlet of Second Chances (heroic tier), Healer's Brooch +3
[/sblock]
I like playing this guy, too. I specialize in zones and conjurations to synchronize with my PP, which spreads more free healing around to allies near them. I can stop my squishy allies from having to spend surges even in difficult encounters, which dramatically helps our endurance--we leveled from 11 to 12 in a single in-game day! I'm also pretty good at condition-flushing, or I would be if my party could roll a save! Grr.

Overall, I really just want to play more! There's just not enough time in a week, with everyone's busy schedules. I'm lucky to be in two semi-regular games.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Overall, I really just want to play more! There's just not enough time in a week, with everyone's busy schedules. I'm lucky to be in two semi-regular games.

I hear you there. In addition to the ones up above, I have a couple other characters statted out that I'd like to try and a few more that are just vague concepts. I started playing L4W just to get an (albeit slow-paced) chance to play more.

Oh, here's another character I play add extremely random intervals (we call the game I play him in Random for that reason):

[sblock=Knight Walker, Longtooth Shifter Paladin 5]We rolled randomly to see what class we were going to be, then rolled randomly from amongst a selection of races (except one character who rolled random class AND race). I saw the Power of Luck + Holy Strike combo and thought that was pretty neat, so got that plus general Straladin tanky stuff.

I have another version of him that's another possible L4W character that goes with a Fullblade to be a kind of striker/defender/leader - decent damage and survivability and a modest collection of healing powers to boot.

And yes, his name is an intentional joke.[sblock=CB Summary]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Knight Walker, level 5
Longtooth Shifter, Paladin

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 13.

AC: 23 Fort: 18 Reflex: 16 Will: 17
HP: 58 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +6, Endurance +7, Insight +10, Heal +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +1, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +5, History +1, Intimidate +3, Nature +5, Perception +5, Stealth -2, Streetwise +3, Thievery -2, Athletics +4

FEATS
Level 1: Toughness
Level 2: Power of Luck
Level 4: Virtuous Recovery

POWERS
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Holy Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Divine Pursuit
Paladin daily 1: Paladin's Judgment
Paladin utility 2: Call of Challenge
Paladin encounter 3: Strength from Valor
Paladin daily 5: Blood of the Mighty

ITEMS
Vicious Broadsword +1, Meliorating Plate Armor +1, Heavy Shield, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (5), Adventurer's Kit, Repeating crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (60), Crossbow Bolt (18), Magazine (2), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1, Ruby Scabbard (heroic tier)
[/sblock][/sblock]

Snotboy

First Post
A friend of mine is going to be running some delves over a barbecue in a couple of weeks. Since minotaurs have the option of having +2 Str/Wis, I was considering the idea of making an Insightful Warlord out of one...

...if for no other reason than to have an Inspiring Moo.

Obryn

Hero
(1) Half-Elf Infernal Warlock. MC to Fighter, but with the Battlemind's Whirling Defense power for an at-will, CON-based mark. Avernian Knight PP.

(2) After thinking they were teh lame, I'd love to try a Dwarf Battlemind. It seems to be the only non-borked Psionic class, as long as you errata Blurred Step. :) And Brutal Barrage + Hammer Rhythym + Dwarven Weapon Training + Pit Fighter PP = one hell of an at-will.

-O

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
The same thing just happened to me I was filming a wedding and it looked crystal clear and five minustes later the picture was grainy but I didn't notice it till I downloaded the footage then on the next shoot I made sure the grain was on low but it happened again. Not really sure why

Just so you know, your first post on ENWorld is a complete non-sequitur.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Let's see, in the quaracter queue, we have:

Reed, halfling Stone Fist monk. Pair him with a fighter, provokes OAs like mad and mostly doesn't get hit.

Dwarven avenger/fighter Pit Fighter. Oh, the damage add is beautiful...

For my Eberron DM's inevitable Dark Sun, I'll roll a human sorcerer. Not sure if he'll do Wild Magic or Storm, but between Chaos Bolt, Dragonfrost, and (lightning power), I'll be able to hit each NAD.

Some sort of psion, not sure which race. I'd want to wait for Psionic Power to come out, though.

And I have this amusing idea to do a shardmind swarm druid, what with the crystalline insects and all.

Brad

Remove ads