• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Class would be best?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Keep the stats. Statistically that's much higher than you'd roll on average. As far as the PC, play whatever class you want to play. Two reasons for this. 1. You'll probably have more fun playing what you want to play, rather than what you feel you need to play, and 2. Sounds like your DM would make it a challenge regardless of what you choose, and tailors the encounters to be hard for whatever you did choose, so the choice really doesn't matter in that regard.

Sacrosanct

Legend
[citation needed]

Pretty basic human psychology, actually.

a7bfd6e340be2c9faef2d5bebe66b070.jpg

laughinggas

First Post
I think I will make a half-orc barbarian with the pirate background. He will be fun, simple, and destructive. Already have some character quirks in mind.

ccs

41st lv DM
I think I will make a half-orc barbarian with the pirate background. He will be fun, simple, and destructive. Already have some character quirks in mind.

And if you do choose to tank your Cha? Don't let that stop you from talking/being one of the vocal characters.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So my DM is the kind that wants to make it very difficult for the players. He is constantly trying to instill fear that he is trying to kill us. With that said and a need to make a new character
A class you don't really want to play and a concept you wouldn't mind watching die sounds like a plan.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Also, as an aside, a DM should only want to "instill that he wants to kill us" when he or she is playing an NPC that wants to instill that they want to kill the PCs. I mean, it's your DM and your gaming table so you know what you want, but I find it best when the DM doesn't view the game as "me vs them." The DM was originally called a referee for a reason. It's not a competition between the DM and players. That's a competition where everyone loses.

laughinggas

First Post
Also, as an aside, a DM should only want to "instill that he wants to kill us" when he or she is playing an NPC that wants to instill that they want to kill the PCs. I mean, it's your DM and your gaming table so you know what you want, but I find it best when the DM doesn't view the game as "me vs them." The DM was originally called a referee for a reason. It's not a competition between the DM and players. That's a competition where everyone loses.

Yeah... He says he does not want it to be easy and for us to feel like we could die at any moment, which I am all for having there be a tense grittiness to everything, but then he goes on and on about how he likes to try to kill players and "the kids gloves are coming off."

It is a very interesting world so far and the story is intriguing. I just hope he is over-exaggerating a bit.

Tormyr

Hero
Yeah... He says he does not want it to be easy and for us to feel like we could die at any moment, which I am all for having there be a tense grittiness to everything, but then he goes on and on about how he likes to try to kill players and "the kids gloves are coming off."

It is a very interesting world so far and the story is intriguing. I just hope he is over-exaggerating a bit.

We frown deeply at DMs who want to kill players. Has anyone gone missing from your group?

;)

Is your DM on these boards? I could PM them about the time my first DM had a dozen wizard initiates magic missile my 4th level paladin simultaneously. Paladin bits everywhere.

EDIT: Oh, and to actually answer your question: Lore Bard that only fights through his music. Maybe a smaller race to explain a low strength score.
Str: 7
Dex: 17
Con: 17
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 17

The bard can make everyone better at what they do, provide lots of skills, and be open to lots of RP opportunities. All those times your DM has some devious trap or big bad, you can tap a player on the shoulder and say, "You've got this," and pass them an inspiration die. Makes things more survivable for everyone.

Last edited:

Remove ads