• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What classes do you want added to 5e?

Eubani

Legend
I think that the EK is improved by 2 easy steps. 1. Allow players to pick the two school the character can access (One of my players chose necromancy and Conjuration for a dark knight feel, worked wonderfully) and 2. Create spells with EK's in mind.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think that the EK is improved by 2 easy steps. 1. Allow players to pick the two school the character can access (One of my players chose necromancy and Conjuration for a dark knight feel, worked wonderfully) and 2. Create spells with EK's in mind.
This. Purpose build mechanics FOR a concept, instead of making it rely solely on generic abilities and ones built for another concept entirely.

My most wanted...

1) An arcane Half-Caster that is more magic focused than the Eldritch Knight but more martial than the other options currently available.

2) Some sort of magical creator class that has options for Artificer/Alchemist/Rune Scribes that eschews spells and focuses on building and making things.

3) Mystic/Psionicist

4) After the Ranger is cleaned up, maybe a Scout outdoor equivalent of the rogue more focused on stealth, sneaking and traps.

5) A Warlord

Savevsdeath

First Post
1.) The Warblade. A class that's all maneuvers, all the time, with maneuvers that are either at-will or have a recharge mechanic not tied to rests. Its subclasses can encompass the Warlord and Swordsage via subclass features that modify how maneuvers work.

Warbringer

Explorer
The more these discussions go on, the more I want to see WotC release more advice on modifying base classes beyond what subclasses do. Swapping out core abilities like wild shape, for instance. Not on a detailed numerical basis

It would be so easy to build a shaman--or an avenger, or an archivist, or what have you--by modifying existing classes just a little more than subclasses currently allow.

Seems like a very talented writer/designer should put together a proposal :)

Radaceus

Adventurer
almost a year now DMing 5e for me, two to three times a month, and I honestly cannot see a need for any new classes, except maybe a better Psioniscist. Every class mentioned falls into a sub-class for me. 5E is well done in that respect. To be real, some mentioned class ideas could easily be added as 'Prestige' classes (Knight of Solamnia, Duelist, Blackguard, Palemaster, etc).

Simply put, I have wracked my brain to come up with new classes, and every time I get them fleshed out , I realize a few tweaks and they become archetypes (Elementalist, Kensai/Samurai/Ninja, Favored Soul)

Now, if only we could divert this energy and change the thread title to 'What new campaign settings would you like to see in 5e?'

Last edited:

I've always enjoyed engineer-themed character, but more on the Dragonlance Tinker Gnome's style than magical contraptions; I didn't particularly like the Artificer from Eberron or the Alchemist from Pathfinder.

I'd enjoy a Tinkerer class very much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads