• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What classes do you want added to 5e?

shadowmane

First Post
Not that there's a necessity for any class, but it does do some concepts very well that the few extant non-supernatural sub-classes don't. And, it also enables play at very low-/no- magic levels, either in terms of a party where no one particularly wants to play a certain sort of caster, or a campaign where they're not appropriate.

Oh, no. I wasn't trying to say its not a good class, or one that don't need to be there. I just haven't seen the class and don't know its strengths and weaknesses. I posted my question after reading the first page of this thread without going further. I can see I might need to read all 17 pages. I would just like some kind of summary of what the class does that makes it so popular that people are calling for it to be made in 5th Edition. Does Pathfinder have something similar? Does some of the older versions of the game have something similar? You have to realize I went from 1E, to OSR, to 5E, so my question is honest, and not part of any alterior motive.

Edit: Okay, I've just looked at the class on the D&D Wiki. I think it would be better served as a subclass of the fighter or the paladin (most likely the fighter). Its basically a seasoned warrior who knows battlefield tactics.

The class I would like to see, to answer the OP, would be a fully developed Psionicist class, with the options to tack it on to the Monk class added as well. That way, I could make my Chinese Wuxia inspired "Wandering Swordsman" (or Youxia) character.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'd like to see a Bounty Hunter (whether as class or archetypes). I'd also like to see a Witch_Hunter.:D

If_it_weren't_for_Vin_Diesels's_D&D_character,_"The_Last_Witch_Hunter"_wouldn't_exist.
7f6b5d236be87862ff253d4cc85b24eb

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
One thing I wish D&D evually gets into is the Science Guy archetype.

In worlds where magic is heavily used and countermeasures are constantly invented to bypass it, there will be a few people out there who will focus of the mundane aspects that either bypasses or are uncounterable by magic. This is typically where fighters and rogues shine as you can't just dispel their weapons and knowledge. So eventually, someone will progress in mundane science in ways that aid adventurers. It might take a while so such persons might not be born in some settings yet.

So I could see a Science Guy class if you were to put all this things together and play a Fantasy DaVinci or Medieval Tony Stark. The class could have magic to help speed up the scientific processes but his guns, grenades, poisons, traps, gadgets, practices, and knowledge are all mundane and unaffected by magic.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Oh, no. I wasn't trying to say its not a good class, or one that don't need to be there. I just haven't seen the class and don't know its strengths and weaknesses. I posted my question after reading the first page of this thread without going further. I can see I might need to read all 17 pages. I would just like some kind of summary of what the class does that makes it so popular that people are calling for it to be made in 5th Edition. Does Pathfinder have something similar? Does some of the older versions of the game have something similar? You have to realize I went from 1E, to OSR, to 5E, so my question is honest, and not part of any alterior motive.

Well, unfortunately, we get this sort of question a lot, and it's not always asked with an open mind, but I'll try.

The Warlord was the continuation of a concept that appeared in 3e, the Marshal class. The two go about their business in different ways, as I understand it--I'm not very familiar with the 3e Marshal--but they both had a fairly similar core idea. Martial characters (those who use arms, skill, armor, and tactics, rather than arcane secrets, divine favor, or otherwise "mystical" assistance) who rely heavily on one or more mental attributes (Int/Wis/Cha), and who possesses moderate skill at fighting but is more about enabling other characters to be better at what they do. Both the Marshal and the Warlord had abilities to help maneuver allies around the battlefield (though the Warlord was arguably better at it), and both of them had some kind of passive benefit that all allies nearby received (for the Marshal, it was called "auras," while for the Warlord it was called a "presence").

Pathfinder doesn't appear to have any *core* classes that are absolutely equivalent, but it does have a "base" class (not sure what the difference is) called "Cavalier" which is very similar, just with the addition of mounted combat stuff. Archetypes can let you get even closer--it's not perfect, but it's very similar. For example, instead of having a "command presence," the Cavalier can "provide the benefit of a Teamwork feat" to all allies within 30 feet as long as they can see and hear the Cavalier. There's also at least one PrC called "Battle Herald," though (sadly) it requires Inspire Courage, which is a magical ability--why it needs that I'm not sure, since it doesn't actually advance that ability and isn't explicitly magical. Regardless, the point is that classes which do stuff very similar to the Warlord are present in Pathfinder.

I, personally, would argue that the Warlord is what happened to a part of the Fighter that was shed at some point: the interaction with followers. The Fighter used to become a Lord at some point, and gain men-at-arms; this hasn't been a thing since 3e, and possibly earlier (my 2e experience is solely with CRPGs, so I don't know if the followers were removed from it for programming reasons or if they were just absent by that point). However, because "hirelings" in general were no longer a major feature of the game, the focus of that "captain leading fellows" switched from NPCs to the Fighter's fellow party members; the Marshal expanded that, and the Warlord expanded it further (and differently).

One of the things that is almost always stressed about the Warlord--a major positive for fans, a major sticking point for detractors--is that the Warlord was explicitly non-magical. I already mentioned this above, but I just wanted to be clear: nothing the 4e Warlord did was considered "magic." In my opinion, what exactly, "magic" means to any given person--literally all things "supernatural" or which couldn't happen here on Earth, or just those things which are arcane secrets/Divine boons/Nature's esoteric power--has a lot to do with how people feel about the Warlord class.

As for the specific things the 4e Warlord did, it varied slightly depending on how you put it together. 4e was big on having each class contain no less than 2, and often 5 or more "styles" or "builds" by choosing class features (much like PF's Archetypes, but the choice is baked into the class from level 1). For the Warlord specifically, you chose a style of leadership--your method for either improving or assisting your party-mates at doing stuff. Eventually there were six different "style" choices, which emphasized different behaviors (defense vs. offense, risky attacks vs. tactical coordination, etc.) There were also some options that could let you specialize in ranged combat instead of melee combat (the default for Warlords). Also, was juuuust possible, if you picked the right options, to play a Warlord that never actually made any attacks at all--instead, that specific kind of Warlord worked by granting special, off-turn attacks to party members; this is known as a "Lazy" or "Princess" Warlord, and was somewhat popular even though it never had any "official" status. Additionally, and this is a sticking point for some people, Warlords had an ability that could restore HP up to a limit*, but generally they weren't especially good at that (they could invest in being better at it, but it wasn't their strongest suit).

So, to sum that all up briefly:
1. Yes, this class has existed since at least 3rd edition, and yes, it has analogous classes in PF (both a "base" class and a PrC, just taking the first one I found that worked).
2. Although it's debated, I'd argue it hearkens back to something the Fighter used to have, but shed at some point.
4. The 4e Warlord had a support-focused kit, and specialized in moving allies around the battlefield (4e combat is less mobile than 5e), improving allies' offensive abilities (attack, damage, sometimes even initiative), and allowing allies to take extra/off-turn actions.
5. Some Warlords never attacked at all, but most were melee attackers who favored Strength plus one mental stat (Int, Wis, or Cha) depending on chosen class features.
6. The 4e Warlord could heal, though only up to a limit*, and other support (aka "Leader" in 4e lingo) classes were better at it.

Anything I could say beyond this--and I've tried to write this paragraph four times now--would be either coercive or trying to frame the argument in my favor. Suffice it to say, *I believe* those who oppose the Warlord either see something deeply wrong with one of the typical features of the Warlord (particularly its ability to restore HP without magic), or feel that "Warlord fans," as a group, are unpleasable without breaking the game...or just oppose the addition of any new classes whatsoever. Suffice it to say that I am not opposed to the addition of new classes, I think there is nothing wrong with the general idea of many of the Warlord's mechanics (but definitely that they need to change to fit a new edition), and have no problem with a Warlord that can restore HP.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Just the stereotypical hero who 1) doesn't have supernatural powers, 2) is competent, 3) provides inspiration and/or leadership and/or tactical insights &c as a way of getting things done. It's a very common archetype in genre.

Fighter Erosion is now completed. We have reached the the point where Fighters are no longer qualified to be competent. :erm:

I guess it's time for me to make a thread about why I hate the Warlord this weekend.

Aldarc

Legend
Seriously? You can't find these blatantly obvious archetypes outside of D&D?! You need to read more...but not wanting to upset Tony Vargas any more while he enjoys his personal crusade, I'm outie.
Considering your own struggles to find the blatantly obvious 'warlord' archetypes outside of D&D, should anyone be surprised?

The warlord is there, it's just folded into the battlemaster. Far more than the 3e knight.
IMHO, that's not a warlord; that's a 3E expertise fighter. But what does my opinion matter to you since I like the warlord and "the warlord is dead to [you] again? :erm:

Fighter Erosion is now completed. We have reached the the point where Fighters are no longer qualified to be competent. :erm:

I guess it's time for me to make a thread about why I hate the Warlord this weekend.
You may want to consider asking for clarification about 'competence' before storming off to start a war.

Last edited:

shadowmane

First Post
So, to sum that all up briefly:
1. Yes, this class has existed since at least 3rd edition, and yes, it has analogous classes in PF (both a "base" class and a PrC, just taking the first one I found that worked).
2. Although it's debated, I'd argue it hearkens back to something the Fighter used to have, but shed at some point.
4. The 4e Warlord had a support-focused kit, and specialized in moving allies around the battlefield (4e combat is less mobile than 5e), improving allies' offensive abilities (attack, damage, sometimes even initiative), and allowing allies to take extra/off-turn actions.
5. Some Warlords never attacked at all, but most were melee attackers who favored Strength plus one mental stat (Int, Wis, or Cha) depending on chosen class features.
6. The 4e Warlord could heal, though only up to a limit*, and other support (aka "Leader" in 4e lingo) classes were better at it.

Anything I could say beyond this--and I've tried to write this paragraph four times now--would be either coercive or trying to frame the argument in my favor. Suffice it to say, *I believe* those who oppose the Warlord either see something deeply wrong with one of the typical features of the Warlord (particularly its ability to restore HP without magic), or feel that "Warlord fans," as a group, are unpleasable without breaking the game...or just oppose the addition of any new classes whatsoever. Suffice it to say that I am not opposed to the addition of new classes, I think there is nothing wrong with the general idea of many of the Warlord's mechanics (but definitely that they need to change to fit a new edition), and have no problem with a Warlord that can restore HP.

Thanks for that. It explains it much better than the wiki articles did. I think the idea of this has merit, but I think I would want it to be a boon from the DMG to attach to the Fighter and/or Paladin (or really any class, since at that level, they have earned the respect to go with it) whose intention is to play beyond level 20.

Aldarc

Legend
Thanks for that. It explains it much better than the wiki articles did. I think the idea of this has merit, but I think I would want it to be a boon from the DMG to attach to the Fighter and/or Paladin (or really any class, since at that level, they have earned the respect to go with it) whose intention is to play beyond level 20.
I suppose my primary issue with that is that the 'warlord' existed as a class that could be played from level 1 to epic levels on its own.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Fighter Erosion is now completed. We have reached the the point where Fighters are no longer qualified to be competent. :erm: .
Wait, Fighters were qualified to be competent at some point?

I must've blinked. ;P

Seriously, (well, not too seriously) you could track 'fighter erosion' all the way back to the introduction of the Thief in Greyhawk back in early 0D&D, before that, legend has it, fighters could find traps by, well, looking for them... (y'know, 10' pole and all that jazz).

I would just like some kind of summary of what the class does that makes it so popular that people are calling for it to be made in 5th Edition.
It opened up modes of play that were only available to casters before. Primarily the sort of support role that'd be familiar to returning AD&Ders as the 'cleric' or 'healer' role (as in "Hey guys! can I join your D&D game?" "Sure, but we need a Cleric" "...oh... ok, I guess..."), you could have a functional/survivable party without anyone having to play a holy-roller or mistletoe-waving hippie. (In a similar vein, the Cleric's 'band aid' function was made a lot less onerous in the editions between 2e and 5e - and 5e retains a little of that with stuff like HD as a healing mechanic, and the Healing Word spell.)

Does Pathfinder have something similar?
It has a class with the same name, and a similar concept, but it's less flexible.
Does some of the older versions of the game have something similar?
The game's always at least vaguely suggested that fighters could be particularly suited to leadership - the way they got the most followers at 'name level' in 1e, for instance, 3e came right out and said fighters were the 'natural' party leader - but never provided mechanics that really backed that up. You could RP bossing everyone around, but it was just annoying, so that idea kinda lapsed, and the fighter 'eroded' as Leatherhead put it. The Warlord had actual mechanics that modeled the contribution of a tactical and/or inspiring leader, without needing the player to be a tactical genius (or, more accurately, agree with the DM about what constituted 'good tactics') or actually boss around his fellow players IC. It's a little abstract (like a lot of things in D&D) but a tidy way of modeling a concept that had been problematic up to that point.

You have to realize I went from 1E, to OSR, to 5E, so my question is honest, and not part of any alterior motive.
Sure, no problem. You missed a kerfluffle we call the 'edition war' over WotC rolling rev on D&D in 2008 a few years earlier than they should have (IMHO, & I'm not exactly alone in that), and since that's when the Warlord was introduced, there's a certain amount of lingering animosity towards it.

The class I would like to see, to answer the OP, would be a fully developed Psionicist class, with the options to tack it on to the Monk class added as well. That way, I could make my Chinese Wuxia inspired "Wandering Swordsman" (or Youxia) character.
I suppose you might get there via multi-classing. There is a Psion (what they called the psionicist post-2e) up as a UA article under the name 'Mystic' - which should be a flavor very compatible with that wuxia concept. Don't know what you'll think of the mechanics, though, it's pretty different from AD&D, I think (never really looked at the psionicist closely, I really think of the 1e psionics appendix when I think 'psionics').

Last edited:

Remove ads