D&D 5E What Classes in PHB?

Then use the two weapon fighting style and fight with the more cinematic florentine style. I really like the fact that you can now fight off two orcs with one hand and throw you off hand dagger at the cultist Mage to break his concentration. Sounds cinematic to me.

That one works great for some versions of this style--unfortunately it isn't (currently) legal, since a rapier isn't a light weapon and won't qualify for dual-wielding. Hopefully there will be a feat for that.

Also, lots of character don't really even do that.

Houserule improvised shields. You don't often see such characters carrying and utilising shields, but you do see them grabbing things from their surroundings to block attacks. A broom handle. A flagon. A leg of mutton.

Or allow the Duelist feature to include the use of items intended for parrying (parrying daggers and cloaks are both historical and cinematic).

Those are pretty good ideas also, for some versions of the style.

I guess what I'm mainly going to have to do is wait and see if there is a feat for to allow what I'm going for.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
That one works great for some versions of this style--unfortunately it isn't (currently) legal, since a rapier isn't a light weapon and won't qualify for dual-wielding. Hopefully there will be a feat for that. (snip)

There's a dual wielder feat that lets use two-weapon fighting even if the weapons you are wielding aren't light.

jgsugden

Legend
I remember when people posted a lot of 'facts' about 4E... which were proven false when the PHB leaked weeks before the game released. I'm curious how many things in these threads are going to be prove to have been revised for the acutal 5E release...

Chaltab

Explorer
So they didn't quite keep their promise of every class ever to appear in a PHB1 being in this one, as there's no Warlord, but it looks like they got everyone otherwise. I just hope they all stand up reasonably well. I know they got a lot of flack for not having Barbarians, Bards, and Monks in the 4E PHB, but the wait really paid off with how good the Bard and Barbarian classes are in 4E... and the Monk is... effective at least. Hopefully trying to cram them all in here doesn't mean some get shafted on quality.

As for power source breakdown

Arcane - Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Divine - Cleric, Paladin
Martial - Fighter, Rogue, Ranger,
Primal - Barbarian, Druid
Psionic - Monk

I can't blame them for skimping on Psionic classes, most of them are not really heroic fantasy archetypes.

So they didn't quite keep their promise of every class ever to appear in a PHB1 being in this one, as there's no Warlord

I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Obviously we haven't seen final versions, and my familiarity with the playtest materials is shaky at best, but doesn't the College of Valor bard cover most of this? More melee potential, in terms of equipment; abilities that enhance allies' options in battle; and of course, the bard can wirj with music or oration.

If I see someone on the front line, wearing armor, swinging a sword, and verbally urging his/her allies on to ever greater efforts... That pretty much says 4E warlord to me.

Samurai

Adventurer
I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Obviously we haven't seen final versions, and my familiarity with the playtest materials is shaky at best, but doesn't the College of Valor bard cover most of this? More melee potential, in terms of equipment; abilities that enhance allies' options in battle; and of course, the bard can wirj with music or oration.

If I see someone on the front line, wearing armor, swinging a sword, and verbally urging his/her allies on to ever greater efforts... That pretty much says 4E warlord to me.

IMO the Battlemaster Fighter archetype is a closer equivalent than the Valor Bard. Several of its maneuvers directly relate to Warlord abilities, such as allowing an ally to attack instead of him, granting an ally movement as a reaction that does not draw AoO, hitting an enemy and then causing the next attack against it by another person to be at Advantage, or rallying an ally to grant them temporary HPs. Really, the Battlemaster is a lot of archetypes rolled into 1, as you can pick and choose the maneuvers you want, and mix and match them. Maybe you want a few Warlordy powers and also a few swashbucklery ones, you can do that. Maybe you want a bullying fighter that intimidates, trips, and pushes enemies around. It's all determined by which moves you select.

Remove ads