What Did Medieval Items Really Cost? And How Much Did An Archer Make?

Luminaries.org has an interesting list of prices of medieval items (compiled by Kenneth Hodges). It consisted of extracted references from books such as English Wayfaring Life in the XIVth Century, J. J. Jusserand, London in the Age of Chaucer, A. R. Myers, Standards of Living in the Later Middle Ages, Christopher Dyer, English Weapons & Warfare, 449-1660, A. V. B. Norman and Don Potting, and several more. It includes tools, food, livestock, books, education, buildings, clothing, armor, weapons, funerals, and travel; and includes wages for various professions from mercenaries to weavers to kitchen servants to barons! It makes for a fascinating read and a great resource for medieval fantasy games. (Thanks to Jay for the scoop!)

Luminaries.org has an interesting list of prices of medieval items (compiled by Kenneth Hodges). It consisted of extracted references from books such as English Wayfaring Life in the XIVth Century, J. J. Jusserand, London in the Age of Chaucer, A. R. Myers, Standards of Living in the Later Middle Ages, Christopher Dyer, English Weapons & Warfare, 449-1660, A. V. B. Norman and Don Potting, and several more. It includes tools, food, livestock, books, education, buildings, clothing, armor, weapons, funerals, and travel; and includes wages for various professions from mercenaries to weavers to kitchen servants to barons! It makes for a fascinating read and a great resource for medieval fantasy games. (Thanks to Jay for the scoop!)

The image below is just the "WAGES" section -- click on it for the full thing!
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 18.39.50.png

Chimpy

First Post
I always think the intention of games is to be fun, not be a simulation. While this information is interesting, I think the values in games need to what makes sense for the game taking into account challenge for players to obtain, expectations and power balance with other items.

I quite like the setup in The One Ring where day-to-day currency and gear are just hand-waved and the PCs can acquire what they need between adventures, within reason.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know the UK was still using the old system not that long ago. The point is it's a confusing system.

It can't be that confusing if millions of people, young and old, rich and poor, educated and not, of every level of intelligence, managed it with ease. :)

You're just not used to it, is all. Like my dad isn't used to D&D rules, my grandma isn't used to Twitter, and I'm not used to French or the American tipping system. Unfamiliar things are confusing.

Not that you should use this system or anything. But it's not any more confusing than anything else unfamiliar.

Anselyn

Explorer
It can't be that confusing if millions of people, young and old, rich and poor, educated and not, of every level of intelligence, managed it with ease. :)
[...] But it's not any more confusing than anything else unfamiliar.
It's a bit like dealing with miles, furlongs, yards, feet and inches even though a decimal system would obviously be better? We manage to cope in the UK and the US ...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's a bit like dealing with miles, furlongs, yards, feet and inches even though a decimal system would obviously be better? We manage to cope in the UK and the US ...

Yeah, it's about the same as the imperial system if measurements. Inches, feet, ounces, gallons, all that stuff. It's considerably easier than all that, actually - much less to remember.

Celebrim

Legend

A decimal system is not obviously better. There is nothing inherently more logical and rational about decimals. Decimals aren't even necessarily easier to work with. Try dividing a decimal measurement into thirds or sevenths.

In fact, most of the old 'trade' measurements had more thought put into them. They weren't random. They were designed to be useful in everyday circumstances a tradesman would encounter. Having 12 inches in a foot, for example, meant that a carpenter could easily divide a measure by 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4. The fluid measurements were even more ingenious, with the same measurement being able to be easily divided in halves, thirds, quarters, fifths, sixths, or sevenths. For example, the tun was a barrel 42" high and 42" deep (notice again, the use multiples of small integers), that when filled weighed one tonne and contained 252 gallons - again divisible by small integers. And each fraction of something had a name, which is far more useful in a system where a large portion of your buyers don't have an education, and may be illiterate or innumerate.

What is called the "Imperial System" evolved to meet real needs. The metric system on the other hand was devised primarily as a political statement, with very little regard to how it would be employed. Originally they even tried to divide time into decimal units, rather than the old 24 hours to a day, 60 minutes to an hour (again, notice 60 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6), and 60 seconds to a minute. But even the French would have nothing of that stupidity.

Metric resolves some important issues, but divisions of 10 is not inherently more rational than divisions of 12 or some other number.

Anselyn

Explorer
A decimal system is not obviously better. [....]

Yes. Very good points and well made.

My point - that was poorly made with a missed quotation - was that someone who would appear to live in an Imperial system for distances seemed so confused by pounds, shillings and pence. I agree with Morrus that it's about familiarity.

It's been pointed out to me by a maths teacher that in the UK the "modern maths" syllabus introduced in the 70s started teaching number systems and bases because we'd moved away from naturally being able to cope with base 12 (etc.) being part of everyday life.

Oh - and we didn't even get on to guineas ...

Jacqual

Explorer
I like the list, it would really be helpful if we could download it as a PDF or a Doc file of some kind so we can make alterations if needed for our home games.

Remove ads

Remove ads