• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What do people think of the new dragon designs?

dave2008

Legend
I'd rather go back to the days when the artist could pretty much draw them how they wanted and didn't have to stick to a design sheet template. You could have as many variations of how a red dragon looks as there are different expressions of beholders. Or humans, for that matter.
That change started with Dragonlance. DL dragons were specifically different from regular D&D dragons, but they had a consistent design within DL (at least mostly - Easley did some weird things with dragons)

dave2008

Legend
FYI, here is a black dragon by the same artist that did the new red and bronze concept art. This is a personal painting, not for WotC as far as I can tell.

1715802817547.jpeg

pukunui

Legend
What do people think of the new designs?
I guess I’m the outlier here in that I don’t like the new designs at all. I guess I’ve just gotten too used to the 3e–5e designs that these new ones just don’t appeal to me. They remind me too much of the goofy-looking mega-dinosaurs from Bigby’s.

Also, are we sure they’re actually using all those new designs? This silver dragon looks like it’s still of the older design:

IMG_6586.jpeg

dave2008

Legend
I guess I’m the outlier here in that I don’t like the new designs at all. I guess I’ve just gotten too used to the 3e–5e designs that these new ones just don’t appeal to me. They remind me too much of the goofy-looking mega-dinosaurs from Bigby’s.

Also, are we sure they’re actually using all those new designs? This silver dragon looks like it’s still of the older design:

View attachment 363264
No we are not sure. This silver is from the PHB and the gold on the cover is too. In that cover you can see a red dragon that looks similar to the new concept art shown.

However, the designs in the Drizit book may not reflect the direction, or they may. I have already pointed out differences in the Drizit red and the new red shown. These could simply be stylistic or they could mean things have evolved since Drizit

Though I do think it is time we had some new designs, I had a thread on this very topic several years ago. I like most of these, but would change some things if I was given them direction.

Last edited:

I'm definitely not a fan of that silver design at all, especially the colours. I thought it was just a statue at first. While the new designs have far more variation of colour which makes the 'pop' more on the page.

dave2008

Legend
I'm definitely not a fan of that silver design at all, especially the colours. I thought it was just a statue at first. While the new designs have far more variation of colour which makes the 'pop' more on the page.
I like the design, though I agree it could use more "realistic" color variation (like the new bronze). But the rest of the design is quite good IMO, basically the 3e silver which I like best 2nd to the 3e red.

dave2008

Legend
I completely missed the wizard by the red's tail at first! IDK, that looks like it does more than 19 (2d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage!

1715803695419.png

View attachment 363264
We haven't seen concept art for a Silver Dragon yet. They could just be looking similar to how they used to.

Remove ads