What do we know about 'Revenge of the Giants'?

lvl20dm

Explorer
I attended the "D&D Extravaganza" at Gencon. At that seminar they said that it would take a party from levels 12 to 18. I'm guessing a little expansion can make it 11 to 20.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Really? I thought--given the limitations of the preview size and format--that it did evoke the originals. An isolated and besieged community sends for heroes to protect them, giant raiders with a darker/greater force behind them... Seems to have a lot of the feel of the originals to me.

(Although, that said, I'd have liked to have seen a bit more from the actual course of the adventure and the encounters, as opposed to just the intro. That, really, is where the adventure will either manage to capture some of the spirit/feel of the original, or not.)

Now you made me go and reread it. The city of Argent is not really a community in the wilderness, it is an extraplaner ruin of somekind of metaphysical significance that is full of treasure (though hopefully not just silver, that would piss off both the pcs and giants). Very different then defending an isolated bit of fantasy england/scandanavia/greyhawk against bands of rampaging giants. Of course, the adventure might also have that, its just not in the preview.

Now you made me go and reread it. The city of Argent is not really a community in the wilderness, it is an extraplaner ruin of somekind...

Nope. It's on a mountaintop that overlooks a spot where the boundaries between the mortal world and the Elemental Chaos are thin, but (unless I'm reading it wrong) it's still very much an earthly, isolated, and largely forgotten city.

You are correct, however, that it's not a community any longer. I'd missed the fact that it's only occupied by a single guardian at this point, and nobody else. So that, at least, is quite different from the original.

But I still think there's enough similarity--again, given what we've seen--that one can certainly see the inspiration from the original AtG.

gribble

Explorer
But I still think there's enough similarity--again, given what we've seen--that one can certainly see the inspiration from the original AtG.
I'm with TerraDave on this one. On my initial read through of the introduction, I just wasn't getting the "Against the Giants" vibe at all... still, as people have pointed out, the finished product may have captured the feel a lot better than that introduction.

I'm with TerraDave on this one. On my initial read through of the introduction, I just wasn't getting the "Against the Giants" vibe at all... still, as people have pointed out, the finished product may have captured the feel a lot better than that introduction.

It's certainly open to interpretation, I won't argue that. Of course, they also never said this would be AtG revisited, just that it was inspired by it. I think I see it there, but who knows what it ultimately looks like?

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope there's a lot of thematic resonance between the final product and the classic adventures. :) But I don't think it's automatically a failure if there's not.

ferratus

Adventurer
I don't think I'm too worried about recapturing the "feel" of the original. Plot-wise there wasn't much story until the drow showed up.

The only thing that gives me pause is the sight of Giant minions. I have nothing against minions in general if they are kobolds, goblins, orcs, or even azers. But you just shouldn't be able to one-shot a giant. At the very least you should be an immortal god first, and I'm not sure if I want giant minions even then.

gribble

Explorer
But I don't think it's automatically a failure if there's not.
Definitely agree here. I don't think that failing to emulate the feel will mean it's a failure. But I also definitely didn't get that AtG feel from it.

And reading the introduction definitely didn't inspire me personally to want to play or run it.
:(

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Wow! I've just read the teaser in the Previews article and I'm hooked.

Now, with all respect to the original GDQ series (which is rightfully called a classic), that story has been told. It was told almost 30 years ago. I don't really want a retread of this tale.

Instead, this tale draws upon the new D&D cosmology, which evokes - for me - Greek and Norse mythology. The ancient tales of the Primordials are one of the strongest parts of the new D&D mythology and I'm delighted when I find adventures referencing them.

So, I can't wait for the adventure to come out. I dare say I'm going to have to run a campaign just for this adventure...

Cheers!

Remove ads