What DO you DO for... Clerics?

Rhun

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
To me, it's more a case of "what else would you call warrior-priests that go trudging around in full plate?" Yes OK, there are some other terms that might make sense, 'Cleric' most certainly not being one of them, but Templar is immediately recognisable and somewhat suitable.

What about "Crusader."

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/crusader said:
crusader
A noun
1 crusader

a warrior who engages in a holy war;

Sir Brennen

Legend
Nyaricus said:
dude, this is brilliant! I particularily like the Burning Light Enhanced Turning.
Thanks. I'm still trying to decide if I want those enhanced turning features to be separate feats, sort of like the feats that let rogues sacrifice x number of sneak attack damage dice for some special effect.

Speaking of feats, I wonder if anyone has ever thought about trying this variant with clerics:

Divine Feats (Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, PHB2) allow clerics (and paladins) to use their Turn Undead attempts into other, useful abilities. To help distinguish clerics of different deities, what about replacing Turn Undead with a Divine feat? The number of attempts per day remain the same, but they can only be used to power the effect of the free Divine feat.

EDIT: Updated link in original post. Please refer to that rather than the one in Nyaricus' quote.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Rhun said:
What about "Crusader."

IMO Crusader has too much baggage and in fact implies a Crusade
However IMC Templars might be members of Crusading Orders and thus known as Crusader

Templar - Knight of the Temple is generic enough to cover many different types (as determined by the Temple)

Brother Richard

First Post
Here is my extended version of the theurgist.

Theurgist

Adventuring: Theurgists adventure to learn more of their found deity or to learn the extent of their new powers. Theurgists also adventure to become closer to their god.
Characteristics: Theurgists are usually very intelligent and show disdain for those who worship “new” deities.
Alignment: Any
Religion: Theurgists much worship or have faith in a dead god found by them. The dead god gains powers because of the theurgist’s faith and grants the theurgist divine might in return.
Backround: Theurgists are people who have discovered dead god’s and personally worship one, gaining immense power while the dead god gains power as well.
Role: Theurgists are casters who help any party by being an arcane caster who is versatile because of their selection of every rcane spell.
Races: Through all cultures, one may find a dead god. However people of studious cultures are more likely to find a dead god because of the many resources of the past to help them.
Outlook: Theurgists believe that the past is the secret to the future.
Other Classes: Theurgists enjoy the company of all arcane casters and hate other divine casters considering them traitors.

Rolzup

First Post
Brother Richard said:
I think the idea of worshipping dead gods is interesting. Do you have any more fluff on that as well as a few custom rules?

Fluff is still being worked on -- I've got another two months before this campaign begins, and I've got very little on paper thus far. That should change over the next week or so.

Mechanics, though...it's the 100% straight cleric, actually. I want the players to be able to jump right in, using whatever god appeals to them. Not that anyone is likely to be playing a cleric, knowing these guys, but still....

Why am I bothering, then? Partially to keep things interesting to me, partially to fly in the face of tradition -- divine casters are all heretics! -- and partially to explain the lack of common healing. And hey, making Raise Dead into a religious crime has all *kinds* of potential....

Sir Brennen

Legend
Other rules

Hmmm... forgot to mention a couple of my house rules, which, while not rules for the cleric class specificially, do greatly affect them.

Curses, Disease and Poison

Curses, diseases and poisons can all be, in most cases, instantly removed through a single casting of the proper spell. Often in fantasy literature, however, characters, sometimes entire families, are afflicted by a long-lasting curse or disease. Insidious poisons may linger in the body for years.

To better reflect this situation in the game, a degree of difficulty has been introduced for spells such as Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Neutralize Poison, Break Enchantment and Heal.

To remove one of these afflictions, the spellcaster must make a level check (d20 + caster level) against the DC indicated below. Five or more ranks in an appropriate skill will give a +2 synergy bonus to the roll.

For curses, and in some rare cases diseases and poisons, a character may not retry a failed attempt until he advances a level in a class with access to an appropriate spell, and is high enough level to cast it. Characters with more than one spellcasting class may still only make one attempt at each character level.

Curses
DC: Power of the original curse bestower (11 + caster level). For cursed magic items, use a DC of 25.
Synergy Bonus: Knowledge [Arcana] or [Religion], depending on the nature of the curse. For curses cast by Outsiders, Knowledge [Planes] may be substituted for either of these two skills.
Retry: Only one attempt at each level.

Disease
DC: Saving Throw DC of the disease. For lycanthropy, use the original DC of 15, but follow all other rules as outlined in the Monster Manual.
Synergy Bonus: Heal.
Retry: Normally, yes. The DM may rule for certain supernatural diseases that only one attempt is allowed at each level.

Poison
DC: Saving Throw DC of the poison. When using a spell against a poisoned object or venomous creature, there is no caster level check, but the target makes a saving throw as normal.
Synergy Bonus: Craft[Alchemy], Heal or Herbalism.
Retry: Normally, yes (if there's time.) The DM may rule that for certain supernatural or magical poisons (such as those from the Complete Book of Eldritch Might) only one attempt is allowed at each level.

Learning New Divine Spells

To gain spells beyond those listed in the Player's Handbook, a divine spellcaster may choose spells from any d20 source, subject to DM approval. However, the spell must be conceptually related to their deity's areas of influence, or otherwise appropriate to their class (such as combat-oriented spells for a paladin.)

To gain a new spell, a character must spend a day in prayer and meditation, burning incense and other materials worth 100gp/spell level during the process. At the end of the day, the character then makes a class level + Wis Modifier check against a DC of 15 + spell level. A successful roll indicates the character has been granted the spell by their deity and may add it to their spell list. Otherwise, the character has used up one half of the gp value of the materials and can may try again later.

If a character performs the above check based on a spell they have found transcribed on a scroll or similar object, they receive a +2 on the roll (provided they are able to read the spell initially.) Having the assistance of someone who already knows the spell also gives a +2 bonus to the check.

Estates
Clerics may also chose to refine their domains a little further by selecting one of the Estates from The Quintessential Cleric, or by creating their own. Not all Estates are appropriate for particular deities. Consult with the DM first.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
IMC, I've dropped clerics altogether. I use Favored Souls as the base class with added access to Knowlege(Religion) on their skill lists.

Remove ads