What DO you DO for... Clerics?

wmasters

First Post
I've dropped clerics as well, they don't really fit into the setting I'm running at the moment. I'm using Druids and Spirit Shaman as divine casters.

Shades of Green

First Post
el-remmen said:
Each god (or set of gods) has its own variant priest class with its own abilities, spell list, powers, and limitations.
I think I'll follow a similar approach. Each religion will have its own unique "cleric" class variant, ranging from the semi-druid Priestess of Meya Ennah (the Celiran Mother Goddess), through the combative Dwarven cleric of the Smith-God (similar to the PHB Cleric though more Earth/Metal/Smithing/Technology oriented) to the various Shamans and Adepts of the more animistic faithes. I'm even considering creating a PC-class variant of the NPC Adept - a Witch (or Witch Doctor). IMC, some Humans are shamanic, some worship the Dwarven Smith-God, some worship Meya Ennah, and some follow a politheistic pantheon. However, priests of that pantheon would probably be closer to Wizards in terms of combat ability - they'll have extensive (far beyond the PHB cleric) Divine spells at their disposal, but they won't be front-line fighters (1D4 hit dice, bad saving throws, bad BAB).

I've not decided about the faithes of other races (Elves, Orcs/Goblins and so on), though Shamanism will probably fit them well in both cases.

el-remmen said:
Alignment: Typically priests must be the same alignment as their god, however, some priesthoods are allowed more leeway in their alignment. If at any time a priest's alignment changes to one not allowed to the priesthood, he or she becomes an ex-priest.
IMC I use a very loose alignment system - low level mortals do not have clear alignments, but outsiders and gods do, and so do mortals who are closely bound with such beings. A cleric has to follow the alignment of his diety, or, in the case of Meya Ennah's priestesses, the alignment of the aspect of that goddess which they follow. Shamans also develop an alignment which becomes clearer as they gain levels, and it effects the spirits they interact with.

Abisashi

First Post
In one campaign that I would like to run, the continent on which the campaign takes place is ruled by a theocracy devoted to the Four. Detect spells and effects are more complicated in this campaign, and there is no alignment (except for outsiders).

Clerics cast spells differently. Clerics cast the same number of spells per day, but may only cast spells from the domains that they know, plus a number of 0th-level spells equal to their wisdom score plus their caster level. Clerics start out with two domains, as usual, and gain access to spells from additional domains by taking initiate feats (these feats do not grant the domain ability) and at 10th and 20th level.

At tenth level and twentieth level, a cleric chooses a domain which he does not have access to; he can now cast the spells of that domain. After making this selection, the cleric chooses a domain he can cast spells from and gains that domain’s power. The domain gained at 10th level must be one of the cleric’s god’s domains.

Clerics of the Four choose one god as their primary; both of their first level domains, and the domain spells they gain at 10th level must be domains of this god.

Clerics can work with their DMs to create spell domains for their god – domains with no domain ability with thematically linked spells appropriate to the character’s god.

If a cleric would gain access to the spells of another of his gods domains, but already has spellcasting access to all of that god’s domains, he may choose a domain of another god in his god’s pantheon. If he already has spellcasting access to all of those, he should consult with the DM to find another domain.

At first level, clerics do not automatically gain the ability to turn undead, but instead choose any channeling feat which they qualify for.

Clerics have an aura of their gods, not Good

Psion

Adventurer
Clerics trouble me. I've never made variants that do all I want to do, but here's my basic cleric change:

All clerics follow a deity or other known faith. Divine magic implicitly comes from communion with a divine force outside yourself. If you want a class that draws power from personal rumination and conviction, that would be the Ardent.

Clerics trouble me. They seem painfully specific for a class that can represent wildly varying beleif set. Though I picture a "flex cleric" that covers all the angles, I have yet to see one that satisfies me.

So, instead, I imagine that clergy of different faiths can be represented by different classes. Classes I use for this are:
  • Priest (AEG's good... basically, cleric with more magic and less combat ability.) - Less combative clergy in the same churches.
  • Priest (From Hamunaptra... a bit different takes on domains and spontaneous spells) - For my Egyptian region.
  • Favored Souls (CD/MHB) - Itinerant "hedge" or "pantheon" priests, justice-seekers.
  • Healer (MHB) - More peaceful faiths.
  • Shaman (Green Ronin Shaman HB) - Animist priest
  • Avatar (Green Ronin Avatar HB) - From a faith with close collection to angels or other "ascended" figures that they wish to emulate. (Somewhat Buddhist in nature.)

AbeTheGnome

First Post
clerics have been replaced by priests IMC. some priests are referred to as clerics, some as druids, some as shamans or holy men: this all depends upon the faith in question. BAB and Save progressions are the same. additional class skills are based on individual faith. turn undead is not a class feature, but a spell. it's only granted through the Life domain.

the major change is in the priests' list of spells known. priests know spells only within their chosen domains. greater gods provide four domains, intemediate gods provide three, lesser gods provide two, and demigods provide only one. all gods have domains chosen from the Spell Compendium.

priests must also do something besides merely meditate in order to regain their spell points (i do use a modified spell point system). they must make a sacrifice to their deity. some gods may require their priests to burn a particular kind of incense, while others may require the sacrifice of an intelligent being on a blood altar. many gods require this sacrifice to be made in a dedicated temple.

Remove ads