• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Do You Do to Support Your FLGS?

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Another thread about the questionable service at a LGS started me to thinking.

Do you do anything extra to support your FLGS if you have one? If you are an owner, do you have customers that go above and beyond to help ensure your success?

Does anybody volunteer to run demo games or referee tournaments? What other types of thing might someone do to help their FLGS?

If all you do is make purchases, is there any reason you don't do more? No judgements here. If you look at your relationship with the store as nothing more than a consumer/merchant transaction I understand, but do you still consider them a (F) LGS or just the store with the best price etc.?

I'm not trying to develop any business plans from this thread, I'm just curious about other people's thoughts on the subject. :)

darjr

I crit!
I buy there. I'll buy there when I know I could get it online. Support is a big deal with me.

I ran games for D&D game day. I want to run more. Much more. I'm not sure that they are doing Free RPG day but I've asked about it in a nudging manner, volunteering to run games during the event.

chriton227

Explorer
I try to spend my money at the FLGS when I can (sometime it is a matter of going online or not getting something though). I've thought about running games at the store, but between working full time, an hour commute each way to work, a wife, 3 kids, a lawn to mow, and everything else life throws at me, I'm usually doing good to run my home campaign once a month (and lately not even that often).

Argyuile

First Post
chriton227 said:
I try to spend my money at the FLGS when I can (sometime it is a matter of going online or not getting something though). I've thought about running games at the store, but between working full time, an hour commute each way to work, a wife, 3 kids, a lawn to mow, and everything else life throws at me, I'm usually doing good to run my home campaign once a month (and lately not even that often).

I used to get everything from my FLGS and play there whenever I could. I brought people to the store that had never been there before so I was probably indirectly boosting sales. However now that I've moved its such a long drive that I only go in and buy stuff there occasionally.

If I had one, I'd probably offer to run a game now and then, and I'm sure they'd get a fair bit of my business. But a FLGS has got to be more than just the nearest place that sells games. It has to have friendly and helpful sales people, keep the gamer funk and noise down, be convenient for browsing and reasonably reliable on pre-orders and stuff, and have good deals on last years stuff.

Tewligan

First Post
I get pretty much all my gaming stuff there. I usually pop in once a week or so to paint my miniatures at their painting tables - while I'm there, I usually stroll around, buy the odd paint or mini, chat with the owners and staff, etc. They have a big pizza party there once a month, and I try to run a one-shot at least every other party. I play in their Warmachine league (well, I buy into it, anyway - haven't gotten the chance to actually play much this season), and just generally lend my awesomeness to their ambience.

Khairn

First Post
I run pick up games, GM at cons and "game days" and buy 90%+ of my gaming purchases (books, dice, mini's etc) from my FLGS.

In return I get a well stocked store, with a great owner, responsive service and a central location where up to 6 tables worth of games can be played.

It definitely costs me anywhere from $300 - $500 in a year, but I think its worth it.

I helped the owner move his store a few weeks ago. We carpooled to gencon two years in a row (I drove in ’06, he drove in ’07) I buy almost all of my gaming (this includes boardgames) purchases are there, as well as all of my comics.

I should also point out that I live about 45min away from the shop and I still consider it my FLGS.

Edgewood

First Post
I unfortunately don't have a FLGS in my town so on-line is my only hope. It's too bad because I miss going into the store, looking at the product and talking with the staff. When I lived in Halifax I had about 2-3 stores I would frequent and would always buy from them. I used to run warhammer tournaments, and also made scenery for table-top games for the store which sold very well. We shared the profits. So I used to be very active in supporting my local shop, but now, geography has deprived me of a FLGS.

:(

Remove ads