D&D 5E What do you think a psychic class should look like in 5e?

was

Adventurer
I agree with others who foresee it as a single class with multiple paths. I.e. Psion/Wilder/Soulknife. I am not too sure about a minor feat. I can see someone who dabbled in magic and knows a few cantrips. The idea that somebody dabbled in, or is kinda psychic, doesn't seem as plausible to me.

Andor

First Post
Psionics in D&D has never really been a single thing. In AD&D it was this weird bolt-on system. In 2e it was it's own class which was sort of 6 sub-classes. It was revised once in 2e.
Then 3e gave us the Psion, the Psi-warrior and the Soul Knife. And a horde of psionic prestige classes. Psionics in 3e was a mix of point-based casting, a few unique skills, a feat system and a unique mechanic is psionic focus.
In 4e it was new slew of classes, some of which used spell point augmentation to alter the AEDU format. I really quite like the 4e Battlemind.

What does this tell us?

Psionics have only been unifed across editions in their weirdness, and a few power names.

In 5e I expect it will be it's own book. There will be a few classes, A psion with sub-classes for the 2e classic disciplines, a warrior type with subclasses for soul knives, battle minds and psi-warriors. There will probably be a focus mechanic.

For now I could see the warlock or eldritch warrior serving as a template for a soul knife or psi-warrior. Good ideas in this thread.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
While sitting here at work, I had an interesting idea how a Psionic class could be represented.

What if the class had a selection of at-will powers to choose from(a la Powers Known), and each can be Augmented with Power Points. At 3rd level, you select a path to further your potential, each path granting an ability and a progressive suite of Effects you can expend PP on to further and wildly Augment powers.

That direction, after some thought, just feels right for psionics. Turning Far Hand into telekinesis, then force-type walls, then crushing forces, etc
Or turning Daze into enthrall into mind-plosion, etc. It also prevents your powers from just 'turnin off' for the day.

I really like the concept. What do you think?

koga305

First Post
I like that! So a psychic character could start out with a Feather Fall-like ability, then gain the ability to upgrade it into Levitation after a few levels, then cap it off with Fly (not necessarily the exact spell effects, but something like this).

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
There are two potentially defining elements of psionics in D&D. Power Points and the psionic attacks/defenses. The latter never really worked well, but we shouldn't forget about them.

In most editions, powers cost power points to manifest, but additional points could be used to augment. I think it's the augmentation of powers that is the critical element here.

As I and others have stated above, at-will powers augmented with power points feels right. Some of those powers, or advanced uses of powers, could be based on the Psionic attacks.

Psionic defenses could work like stances, modifying your save bonuses or other defences. For example, if you're using "Tower of Iron Will", you gain advantage on wisdom saving throws.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I like the Modes idea, however it should be an optional rule for games that are psionics-heavy/centric. It doesn't make a lot of sense to use them in a game where a single PC is the only psychic thing around, around the different modes were just as effective against nonpsionic enemies.

As for the at-will selection idea, they could be chosen in Discipline suites, or per power, depending on how a player or GM would see it handled in that world. I am also up for Disciplines being optional alongside Attack/Defense modes, as they aren't necessary unless the campaign world has a lot of psionic depth, or the DM just really wants that depth in the PC. I do want to see each of those represented in some way though, as they are good ideas and allow things to not be so basic and static.

Now we just need to get the good word out to Mr. Mearls on this at-will-into-Augments psionics, so it can be properly hammered out with R&D, playtesting and polls for the community.

If done right, you could use this class to create a suitable Psion, Psychic Warrior or even a Soulknife, depending on the powers you pick and the Augment paths you choose. A Psi-Weapon path could allow you to make mindblades with various abilities and types at higher levels, but if you were tapped for PP you would always have that fallback basic mindblade at-will power. Physical powers that allow your character to alter their shape, size, or speed could be Augmented into making a psychic-shifting warrior, while doing the same with telekinetic/telepathic/metacreative paths to create a dominant psychic caster.

Remove ads