What do you think of Marvel post-Endgame?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just talking movies, how do you think the MCU is doing since Endgame and that phase ended?

As a reminder here’s the list:
  1. Black Widow
  2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  4. Eternals
  5. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  6. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Includes the Spider-man movies.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
It's felt a little...flimsier? to me, like a little more slap-dash, but with the Phase One Avengers arc finally culminating in Endgame, just about anything might feel anticlimactic. COVID messed with all their productions since then, and the Disney+ platform has transformed their approach, so all told theirs no way it would or could feel anything like phases 1-3.

I've enjoyed all the Phase 4 movies so far, to varying degrees and in different ways, and I'm happy to let them figure things out and slowly build whatever they're building.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For me, these movies were all OK (Black Widow and Dr Strange were weak, and Eternals wasn’t good), but they all feel mid-tier MCU to me. I’m still waiting for one that will knock it out of the park. Maybe Thor next month?

JAMUMU

actually dracula
1. Not the Shang-Chi I grew up reading, but Moon Knight was close enough to the Moon Knight I did grow up reading (and was so good) that I gave Shang-Chi a pass. Awkwafina did a lot of the heavy lifting for this, imho. Would have much preferred it to be OG Master of Kung Fu, though, without the dumb ring powers.
2. Was awful. What even was this Mysterio? It felt like it came from a different timeline, made by aliens who'd read about Spider-Man and Spider-Man movies and tried to make one using a malfunctioning replicator.
3. The best bit was Blade's voice right at the end.
4. Seriously good. If only all of Phase IV was of this quality.
5. It was the best of films, it was the worst of films. A triumph of spectacle over thought.

Phase 4 has been the weakest so far, if you exclude Moon Knight and Ms Marvel.

As a reminder here’s the list:
  1. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2023)
  2. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2023)
  3. Eternals (2023, excluding flashbacks)
  4. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2024)
  5. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2025)

Something seems suspect about those release dates.

Retreater

Legend
I don't care for multiverse stories in general. It's as if none of them "matter" or are non-canon - because they can always rewind time or whatever. There's a lack of permanence, and the storylines get very muddled when you don't know which timeline you're supposed to be in.

Remove ads