• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think of Marvel post-Endgame?

Hex08

Hero
Hooking a power source to an infinity stone and causing it to discharge powers seems like it would be something that advanced technology could duplicate after it was seen to work.

In most other instances, tampering with a stone like that -or even so much as touching a stone- kills pretty much everyone else. But she survives because 🤷‍♂️

To be fair that should also be true of radiation and a bunch of other things used in comic movies, but it seemed a bit forced in how it was presented in this case.

As far as the Kree conditioning, my perception was that it was a somewhat lazy exploration of gender stereotypes:

•Emotions bad
•Women are emotional, so you suck
•repeated flashbacks and events to show how virtually every guy she had ever met was toxic
•...wait, your emotions are actually the thing that makes you better, and all the military training you had before was wrong

I found the movie to be a weird contrast to most everything else being put out at that point. In a lot of ways, the movie seemed intentionally designed to go against most of what had been established about the setting by other movies from the phases leading up to Endgame.
Captain Marvel seems to get a lot of criticism, and some seems undeserved. Some of it I get, people like what they like and tastes vary. Some of it seemed to come from people with a political/social agenda even before seeing the movie. I personally enjoyed it but am willing to admit it could have been better.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'd suggest giving Eternals a try. I know I'm in a small group but I liked it enough to see it in theaters and again on D+. It has faults, there is no denying that, but there are some really fun parts and visuals to it as well. If you sat through Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, or Iron Man 2 then you've already seen the worst the MCU has to offer.

If nothing else, Eternals seems to set the stage for a lot of stuff to come.

Yeah Thor the Dork World is the only MCU movie I havent actually watched right through - it was just so excruciatingly boring, that I stopped watching and did something else (I remember Jane being taken to an Asgardian hospital and something about London?).
On the other hand I watched Eternals and mostly enjoyed it. There are some good visuals and fun interactions and each of the characters are kinda interesting enough, but none of them get enough time to develop a feel for. Personally I wanted to know more about The Deviant leader (main ‘bad guy’) but in the end he’s a throwaway for the sake of the ‘big thing’.
I think much of the backlash went a bit overboard, The Eternals tried to break away from the Marvel formula and give us an epic melodrama rather than ‘action-comedy’ that MCU has become but it fails to delivery enough of that. however if taken on its own merits it isnt that bad.

Stalker0

Legend
Captain Marvel seems to get a lot of criticism, and some seems undeserved. Some of it I get, people like what they like and tastes vary. Some of it seemed to come from people with a political/social agenda even before seeing the movie. I personally enjoyed it but am willing to admit it could have been better.
I think the issues with Captain Marvel can be broken up into a few areas:
  • She is a very boring character. She's a blank slate when we first meet her, and pretty much remains so throughout. We actually learn very little about her. She has no real personality. To me the funniest thing about the whole "control your emotions" they keep discussing with her, is she barely has any to begin with.
  • There is no arc of challenge. The classic hero movie is to struggle, to evolve, and to overcome....its part of what we often like about superhero stories. In captain marvel that doesn't really happen, she is already super strong when we meet her, able to defeat her kidnappers all by herself. At no point is the enemy really capable of threatening her, and by the end she is all but invincible. Contrast this with Thor where he was stripped of a lot of his power so that mortal challenges were still a threat to him, and in his later movies he is dealing with world ending threats that are a real challenge to him.
  • The cat and Nick Fury is just completely dumb. How Nick Fury lost his eye has been built up as somekind of painful betrayal, something that turned Nick Fury into the cold untrusting man we know today. Instead...its played as a comedic gag with no character building story at all.

Yeah Thor the Dork World is the only MCU movie I havent actually watched right through - it was just so excruciatingly boring, that I stopped watching and did something else (I remember Jane being taken to an Asgardian hospital and something about London?).
On the other hand I watched Eternals and mostly enjoyed it. There are some good visuals and fun interactions and each of the characters are kinda interesting enough, but none of them get enough time to develop a feel for. Personally I wanted to know more about The Deviant leader (main ‘bad guy’) but in the end he’s a throwaway for the sake of the ‘big thing’.
I think much of the backlash went a bit overboard, The Eternals tried to break away from the Marvel formula and give us an epic melodrama rather than ‘action-comedy’ that MCU has become but it fails to delivery enough of that. however if taken on its own merits it isnt that bad.
The Dork World is a hilarious typo, please don't change it.

The MCU has put out such a regularly enjoyable product for so long that I don't even bother seeking out trailers for their movies. There is a baseline level of quality that is high enough that I know I'll enjoy going to the theater to see what they made.

As for the Eternals, they certainly thinned the crowd a bit going forward and the backstory is in place. I wouldn't be surprised if their future offerings in team up movies or an Eternals 2 is better received.
The Deviant leader should have offered to help the good guys in the end since his goals in that moment strongly aligned with theirs. An uneasy alliance that breaks apart after he steals some of Ikarus' power. Then he can do his one on one with Thena while Ikarus is weakened enough for the others to hold him back giving Cersei time to do her thing. This gives the deviant a full arc and gives his showing up at the end some meaning. Pretty much this and not retelling Ajak's death/world ending bit to everyone individually solves the biggest issues with this film. The first group leaves London and learns what happened (sorta) to Ajak, then they meet Kingo, Gilgamesh, and Thena and tell them all at once. Finally, collect Phastos and head to Druig and discover him and Makkari already together. A budding romance that this movie didn't give enough time to but now it can because we've just cut out 20 minutes of repetition. Tell those three all at once. Move on to act 3. Rant over.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think the issues with Captain Marvel can be broken up into a few areas:

• There is no arc of challenge. The classic hero movie is to struggle, to evolve, and to overcome....its part of what we often like about superhero stories. In captain marvel that doesn't really happen, she is already super strong when we meet her, able to defeat her kidnappers all by herself. At no point is the enemy really capable of threatening her, and by the end she is all but invincible. Contrast this with Thor where he was stripped of a lot of his power so that mortal challenges were still a threat to him, and in his later movies he is dealing with world ending threats that are a real challenge to him.
Why would the challenge or struggle just be something to overcome with powers? Her primary struggle is to figure out who she is, which is very appropriate for Carol Danvers given her history in the comics.

Stalker0

Legend
Why would the challenge or struggle just be something to overcome with powers? Her primary struggle is to figure out who she is, which is very appropriate for Carol Danvers given her history in the comics.
Except that she doesn't, we learn barely anything about her. She's a fighter pilot, and....she has a friend...and....yep that's about it. I knew more about Ms. Marvel in teh first 10 minutes of the tv than I learned about Carol in her entire movie.

Rune

Once A Fool
Except that she doesn't, we learn barely anything about her. She's a fighter pilot, and....she has a friend...and....yep that's about it. I knew more about Ms. Marvel in teh first 10 minutes of the tv than I learned about Carol in her entire movie.
Well, we are shown that she has a pretty significant inferiority complex from being continually told to stay down when she is knocked down in her life and that it has fostered in her a stubborn streak that won’t do so (and frankly also a tendency to display a bit of anti-authoritarian push-back when people tell her what to do). That, and an ambition to over-achieve (likely also rooted in the inferiority complex). That all seems like a reasonably well-developed character to me.

Don’t get me wrong: I think the film’s central premise that emotion = good; self-control of emotion = bad is nutso. But that’s not an indictment of the character. It’s just a thematic philosophy that stands in sharp contrast with everything I believe to be true in the world.

Argyle King

Legend
I wanted to take a moment to say that I'm not specifically picking on Captain Marvel.

I was asked about my comments toward that particular film, so I elaborated. It's certainly not horrible, but I do believe that aspects of it are an example of trending toward things which I don't particularly like in some of the newer films. There were aspects of the film which were enjoyable, but the bad was particularly highlighted by what I perceive to be a rush to shoehorn the character into other movies where she didn't really fit.

I don't want to derail the thread further, so I'll just sum up my final thoughts on Captain Marvel by saying that the presentation of the character in the movie combined with some of the PR around the film didn't help the reception of the character.

"Hey, here's this group of characters we've spent years getting you to love as you've gone on this epic journey. But! Forget all of that because here's this brand new character who has kewler flashier powers which make their entire struggle* stupid... heck, she could beat Thanos all by herself, so she doesn't even need personality or story. You're going to love her, and -if you don't- well, that's because you're not a real fan (and you probably hate women -despite the fact that you liked all of the other female characters). Also, you think Nick Fury is cool? Well, he loses his eye to a cat just to prove that he sucks compared to this new character too. Sure, it's an alien cat with an extradimensional stomach, but we'll never bring that up again."

(*I disliked Legolas being in the Hobbit films for similar reasons. You have an entire story around the struggle of the dwarves, but then you have a bullet-time elf breezing through everything.)

I know that some of this is common in comic books, but that doesn't make it good/right. I liked that early MCU was a little more selective about which characters were involved and tried to pay at least some attention to how things connected together.

I'll add that I'm not at all excited about the Skrulls being introduced more because I anticipate shape-shifting being over-used to explain how/why certain things fit together. "No, see, it wasn't actually that person. It just looked like that person."

I wanted to take a moment to say that I'm not specifically picking on Captain Marvel.

I was asked about my comments toward that particular film, so I elaborated. It's certainly not horrible, but I do believe that aspects of it are an example of trending toward things which I don't particularly like in some of the newer films. There were aspects of the film which were enjoyable, but the bad was particularly highlighted by what I perceive to be a rush to shoehorn the character into other movies where she didn't really fit.

I don't want to derail the thread further, so I'll just sum up my final thoughts on Captain Marvel by saying that the presentation of the character in the movie combined with some of the PR around the film didn't help the reception of the character.

"Hey, here's this group of characters we've spent years getting you to love as you've gone on this epic journey. But! Forget all of that because here's this brand new character who has kewler flashier powers which make their entire struggle* stupid... heck, she could beat Thanos all by herself, so she doesn't even need personality or story. You're going to love her, and -if you don't- well, that's because you're not a real fan (and you probably hate women -despite the fact that you liked all of the other female characters). Also, you think Nick Fury is cool? Well, he loses his eye to a cat just to prove that he sucks compared to this new character too. Sure, it's an alien cat with an extradimensional stomach, but we'll never bring that up again."

(*I disliked Legolas being in the Hobbit films for similar reasons. You have an entire story around the struggle of the dwarves, but then you have a bullet-time elf breezing through everything.)

I know that some of this is common in comic books, but that doesn't make it good/right. I liked that early MCU was a little more selective about which characters were involved and tried to pay at least some attention to how things connected together.

I'll add that I'm not at all excited about the Skrulls being introduced more because I anticipate shape-shifting being over-used to explain how/why certain things fit together. "No, see, it wasn't actually that person. It just looked like that person."
Your right. It has to be earned and they have to be flawed and relatable
11 in stranger things. A super hero but she’s going though things like peter Parker is
Every hero and most villains in the boys. They have flaws and weaknesses
Captain marvel has 0 personality

Watching part 2 of latest season of stranger things. Everything is better than Disney show
Can’t be money as Disney has more. It’s effort and storytelling

Remove ads